Soundbar for music playback

yfacymdacsi

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I've recently gotten rid of my 5.1 surround system due to space and now I'm looking into purchasing a soundbar/base. I want a decent sound with movies but the soundbar/base has to be very good with music, this is the priority but it has to be a balance.

So far I've been looking at the Q Acoustics Media 4 and the Canton DM 75. I'd like the soundbar/base to decode DD5.1 and DTS - and possibly HD sound from blu-rays although I'm not too sure if this really beneficial for a 2.1 soundbar/base.

The system has to be very good with music as it will be my only hifi system.

Does anyone have any recommendations or any information regarding the above kit? My budget is up to £500 although I could push this if the product is that worth it. I can't easily get to a proper hifi shop for a demo as I live too far from any city so any help would be very beneficial! I've read that the Media 4 sounds as good as a decent pair of bookshelves and is good with movies, the DM 75 would be a neater solution but is it as good with music? If it's a soundbar, it would be mounted table top.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
If music was a priority, I wouldn't buy a soundbar...period.

For your £500, go and buy a stereo integrated amp & a pair of speakers. It will be light years ahead of even some very pricey soundbars, will sound excellent playing 2-channel TV broadcasts, and if you set up your bluray player correctly, it'll sound good for movies too.

At the very least go and listen to one before you decide. In my opinion soundbars, although visually very room friendly and fashionable, have made 1000's of homes make awful compromises when much better can be had for the same money or less.

Not a fashionable statement to make, but somebody's got to say it.

yfacymdacsi

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the replies! I'm looking into the Playbar, sounds interesting. As far as a pair of bookshelves and an amp is concerned I agree, it would be a better option for music - but although music is the priority it's not the only factor. Space is a problem, a pair of bookshelves would be too tall in front of my tv (as it's in an alcove, there's no room either side) and speaker stands would eat too much into my room.

Although soudbars are fashionable they were born out of necessity - space, convenience, affordability etc.

So far, I have the DM 75, QM4 and the Sonos Playbar on my list. Can they all decode DD 5.1? I think I have read that none of them decode DTS, is this true? This is not such an issue with the Sonos as everything would be going through my tv and that doesn't kick out DTS anyway. With either of the others I would connect directly from my Blu ray.

Also, does anyone play CDs through the Sonos? Obviously this would have to be via the telly. I use my blu ray player to play them, again due to space and financial constraints!

Anymore info and knowladge would be greatly appreciated!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
yfacymdacsi said:
So far, I have the DM 75, QM4 and the Sonos Playbar on my list. Can they all decode DD 5.1? I think I have read that none of them decode DTS, is this true? This is not such an issue with the Sonos as everything would be going through my tv and that doesn't kick out DTS anyway. With either of the others I would connect directly from my Blu ray.

Trouble is your TV may not kick out DD5.1 by its optical connection either, in which case you'll just get stereo. If you only have a Playbar that may not matter.

Also, does anyone play CDs through the Sonos? Obviously this would have to be via the telly. I use my blu ray player to play them, again due to space and financial constraints!

Well, no. Sonos is a network music player, you should rip your CDs to a PC or NAS and play them directly on the Sonos (you wouldn't need the TV on then either), trying to use it as a speaker for a CD player really defeats the object of buying Sonos in the first place.

yfacymdacsi

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I think the point is being missed. I only have the space and funds for one system and after some research I have decided that a soundbar/base is my best option.

My tv does kick out 5.1.

All my music is ripped into iTunes so streaming from my Mac is a must, bluetooth or wifi. BUT, I also like to put on a CD from time to time - I'm old fashioned sorry. I don't use spotfy or any equivalent. I mostly watch digital copies of films and tv shows and I stream from Netflix and Amazon, but again I occasionally like to put on a blu ray, hence the DTS question.

So, I need one soundbar type system, one system to rule them all!

D

Deleted member 116933

Personally i would get the Monitor audio sound bar. It is a little over budget but its the best comprimise to be honest. £800 i think but i'm sure you could find it cheaper.

It's miles ahead of the curve with all thats mentioned so fare

It has all the input conections for legacy play back and has all the HDMI conections as well with support for LPCM (sorry if thats wrong ) so will handle DD and DTS signal passed from the DVD and Blu ray player. And you can connect any subwoofer you want if you wish later (unlike some above)

I have heard it! though a little tubby in the low end (need to fiddle with bass controls a liitle and you will get a good balance) it really isn't too fare off a good quality stereo. The sound stage may not be as wide but you can over come this slightly by engaing the Pro logic 2 mode to push the sound a little wider. If you do attach a subwoofer it really opens up allowing it play louder as it crosses its self over to 80hz aloow the sub to handle the low stuff.

But though it dose have remarkable sound steering for a product of this type it will never replace a suround sound system but dose get dam close if you spend some time with it!!!! and an ideal shapped room

Then you also have the Arcam solo bar again about 800 (1600 with its subwoofer) seems to be getting good right ups as well.

What some people fail to relise is yes its comprimise but some people want the best sounding comprimise they can get. And i believe once you get past the £500 mark thats where things start making sense for the sound bar. As fare a MA is concered any how and i wouldn't be un happy with one. But you do pay for the privilege.

Please forgive the grammer i not that great at it!

yfacymdacsi

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Millenia_one, I hadn't looked into the ASB2 due to price but the specs are exactlly what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll save a little longer and get into the more premium market! I did find a refurbished one for £599 so it leaves me hopeful for the future as I don't quite have the money yet.

Does anyone know of a cheaper (albeit, not quite as good!), almost as well specified option I could look into?

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Sony HT XT1 is very good all round. It can decode most signals via HDMI as well. If you want stereo separation these systems are a slight compromise. However, I've no space either side of my TV for speakers. Sitting beneath the TV the base's drivers are spaced sufficiently far apart not to matter much. The sound is coming from the direction of the TV as you would expect.

D

Deleted member 116933

yfacymdacsi said:
Thanks Millenia_one, I hadn't looked into the ASB2 due to price but the specs are exactlly what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll save a little longer and get into the more premium market! I did find a refurbished one for £599 so it leaves me hopeful for the future as I don't quite have the money yet.

Does anyone know of a cheaper (albeit, not quite as good!), almost as well specified option I could look into?

Some places offer buy now pay later if you in a rush. Lay down what ever deposit you want and then pay the remainder at the end of the year. But that is completly your call.

But regarding the spec of slightly cheaper ones this is what the difference is between the cheaper ones and the more expensive ones, it s all about the connections and better cabinate construction. Some sound bars are aimed at different markets. The sono's for example its a network player for digital music movies where and after thought. (they really missed the ball in my opinion big time, it has no DTS decoding and has no HDMI's no idea what they where thinking! but it was/is all about digital music for them).

Others like the cheaper super maket sony's are fine for the bedroom or childs first hifi or something but just have no serious sound to them.

If you can save a little more and just buy once you will not be disappointed.

D

Deleted member 116933

Oh and i meant to mention this one Dali kubik one you will have to use your tv as the HDMI switcher but again it has all the legacy conections you would need.

The review is on what hi fi and they seem to love it but agian a little over budget.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
To me the Sonos sounded bad. It was weak and lacking any clarity or weight. I was really surprised considering its cost. My Sony sounds great in all respects. The only thing I've noticed is a slight harshness to 5.1 sound when the volume is turned up. But this only tends to happen with Netflix and not discs. So perhaps it's a streaming/bitrate issue.

yfacymdacsi

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I took advice and increased my budget!

On my shopping list was the Arcam Solo Bar, Monitor Audio and the Dali.

Monitor audio was ruled out due to size so down to the Dali and Arcam. Arcam was top of the list due to connectivity so went for a demo, I was really expecting to love it despite the what hifi review. The guy in the shop put on Avengers and after some fiddling with the settings etc. (including using the setup mic) got it sounding pretty good, although slightly 'empty' if that makes sense. Not too much of a problem as music is the main issue so moved on to some CDs, I tried When the Man Comes Around by Johnny Cash, acoustic guitar sounded awesome but when the vocals began they sounded clear but quite harsh, especially when turned up above 30 on the display. Then same with all my other CDs, from Bluegrass to Metal, The riffs from Megadeth's Holy Wars were extremely tight but had no body and Metallica's Enter Sandman was missing that rolling bass effect at the beginning when the floor toms kick in. I did think that maybe it was designed to work with sub and not as a stand alone unit.

Anyway, I decided no and ordered a Dali to be delivered this week and I have 14 days to test it and if I don't like it I can get a refund - cross fingers!!!

Does anyone know what it decodes via optical, I can't seem to find any info.

D

Deleted member 116933

Dosent decode anyting on board other than stereo......all the bars above will need subwoofer really to sound there best. Which seems to be the sound you are missing. It will open them up enabling them to go louder.... But then theres the budget. I konw you from come a background of separate speakers and amp so you need to go in expecting a different sound. These are the comprises evryone was stating above.

good luck with the dail and let us know what you think!!!!

yfacymdacsi

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I found this write up -

http://www.unlockpwd.com/dali-announces-the-soundbar-kubik-one-with-bluetooth-and-usb-asynchronous/

seems to have been written before the Kubik came out but it states that it decodes DD and DTS. Can't seem to find any mention anywhere else though, so it might have changed or they got it wrong.

yfacymdacsi

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Been using the Kubik One for two weeks now and I have to say it's amazing, I haven't properly sat down to listen to my music collection for years but the Kubik One has me glued to the sofa!

It is a stereo system with no onboard decoding, which by now I think is a good thing - every penny of my £799.99 has gone into creating an amazing stereo sound and not wasted on decoders that downmix to the same output in the end anyway.

It's been placed on a shelf below my TV. It does not need a subwoofer, the 'bass enhance' setting is plenty in my setup, the bassier 'bass boost' setting is too boomy and overpowering.

I've connected my appleTV directly via optical and everything else goes through my TV to the other optical, I did think about connecting my blu-ray directly via the second optical and pluging the TV into the analogue but decided against this for the sake of simpicity. All my CDs have been re-ripped using ALAC (itunes music is now 290gb!!) so I stream CD quality via the apple TV directly into the Dali.

I've been listening to a LOT of music and so far it sings and sings with every genre. Listening to Tom Waits - All The World Is Green from the Blood Money album revealed sounds I had not heard before, every instrument is equally defined, the rhythm section sits in the (wide) background as the clarinet floats in front with the vocal. The Dan Tyminski song Wheels has such a wide soundstage that I could swear the Dali is 3 meters long. Nick Cave's Let Love In album just makes me smile and the bells on Red Right Hand scare the hell out of my neighbours, woohoo! The rolling bass and floor tom sound on Enter Sandman I think would even blow the hell out of Lars Ulrich.

I've only watched one whole blu-ray so far, Children Of Men. I was hardly aware that I was listening to a sound bar, the soundtrack matched what was on screen so well. I watched the beginning of Return Of The Jedi (Vader's voice sounds it's best in episode six!), the meeting on the Death Star to announce the coming of the Emperor, the dialogue comes through clean and crisp. Everything I've watched so far the dialogue has come through brilliantly, from Wolf Hall on iPlayer to Agents Of Shield on Amazon instant and Homeland on Netflix. Every bit of the soundtrack comes through beautifully on every format I've tried.

After listening to the Arcam I wasn't expecting this to sound as good as it does - put simply, mindblowing!!

P.S.

I've started thinking after listening to the Dali that my old 5.1 system was a bit distracting and unreal. My TV is 42" and to have sounds behind me now seems daft. I get the whole idea of surround in cinemas or houses with projectors but for normal size TVs what's the point of an aeroplane flying in from behind?! Anyway, that's just an opinion!

D

Deleted member 116933

yfacymdacsi said:
Been using the Kubik One for two weeks now and I have to say it's amazing, I haven't properly sat down to listen to my music collection for years but the Kubik One has me glued to the sofa!

It is a stereo system with no onboard decoding, which by now I think is a good thing - every penny of my £799.99 has gone into creating an amazing stereo sound and not wasted on decoders that downmix to the same output in the end anyway.

It's been placed on a shelf below my TV. It does not need a subwoofer, the 'bass enhance' setting is plenty in my setup, the bassier 'bass boost' setting is too boomy and overpowering.

I've connected my appleTV directly via optical and everything else goes through my TV to the other optical, I did think about connecting my blu-ray directly via the second optical and pluging the TV into the analogue but decided against this for the sake of simpicity. All my CDs have been re-ripped using ALAC (itunes music is now 290gb!!) so I stream CD quality via the apple TV directly into the Dali.

I've been listening to a LOT of music and so far it sings and sings with every genre. Listening to Tom Waits - All The World Is Green from the Blood Money album revealed sounds I had not heard before, every instrument is equally defined, the rhythm section sits in the (wide) background as the clarinet floats in front with the vocal. The Dan Tyminski song Wheels has such a wide soundstage that I could swear the Dali is 3 meters long. Nick Cave's Let Love In album just makes me smile and the bells on Red Right Hand scare the hell out of my neighbours, woohoo! The rolling bass and floor tom sound on Enter Sandman I think would even blow the hell out of Lars Ulrich.

I've only watched one whole blu-ray so far, Children Of Men. I was hardly aware that I was listening to a sound bar, the soundtrack matched what was on screen so well. I watched the beginning of Return Of The Jedi (Vader's voice sounds it's best in episode six!), the meeting on the Death Star to announce the coming of the Emperor, the dialogue comes through clean and crisp. Everything I've watched so far the dialogue has come through brilliantly, from Wolf Hall on iPlayer to Agents Of Shield on Amazon instant and Homeland on Netflix. Every bit of the soundtrack comes through beautifully on every format I've tried.

After listening to the Arcam I wasn't expecting this to sound as good as it does - put simply, mindblowing!!

P.S.

I've started thinking after listening to the Dali that my old 5.1 system was a bit distracting and unreal. My TV is 42" and to have sounds behind me now seems daft. I get the whole idea of surround in cinemas or houses with projectors but for normal size TVs what's the point of an aeroplane flying in from behind?! Anyway, that's just an opinion!

Thanks for the real world review and im glad you have found your muisc and sound bliss!!! Did you have to do anything specail with the blue ray player do get it to decode into stearo or anything or dose the bar do that for you?

yfacymdacsi

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I had to set the blu-ray player to PCM, same with the TV.

The apple tv is different, you have to go to Settings - Audio & Video - Dolby Digital - Off.

The Dali also detects when something is switched on, so when everything is in standby mode (overnight or whatever) I turn the TV on and the Dali comes on automatically. Perfect!

Thank you everyone for the guidance and for leading me to my final destination (sound wise!) of the Dali Kubik One!

Also, just wondering, what setup do you have Millenia_one?

D

Deleted member 116933

Thanks for that...... I really should put my details in on the site for my system but it's been evolving of late.

For the moment i have Dali fazon's (might get the bigger LCR's up front when i move house) all round with a velodyne 1200 ultra sub.

Blu ray player Pioneer bdp 320 (dont make them like this annymore), amp Pioneer sc2022k, Nad c541 but needs a new belt for the draw

samsung uhe558500 4k tv (with HDCP 2.2 if anyone is woundering) and will be upgrading the connect box when it come out as sumsung are bring out a software based HDR system.

TRENDING THREADS