Sound quality: old CD Player or use BluRay Player?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I cant really comment on cd players - it must be 10 years since I had one (except in the car/computer).

I remember my old Technics having a digital out though I didnt have anything to connect it to.

T

the record spot

manicm:

No mistake, the 370 sounds stunning in movies, but I find it merely adequate for CD duty.

I should've aske dthis earlier, but in what way do you find it average manicm?

manicm

the record spot:manicm:

No mistake, the 370 sounds stunning in movies, but I find it merely adequate for CD duty.

I should've aske dthis earlier, but in what way do you find it average manicm?

Soundstage does not have much depth, sonic background is not entirely black or entirely clean. It sounds like a *cheapish* CD player, but I suppose it's not too bad considering cost. I'd never use it as my primary source though.

AND I DO have a decent cable - Chord Crimson.

T

the record spot

Odd that, I'm using it via the Sansui directly and via the Spitfire and both are fine.

Interesting what you mention about "not entirely black", which I'd disagree with (not for the sake of it I should add). I tried out The Division Bell album which has rather a lot of quiet passages, also several of Brian Eno's "Ambient" series from the late 70s. I'm not sure how much "black" you'd want to be honest as the "sonic background" was about as quiet as you could reasonably ask for!

The "cheapish" CD player bit still puzzles me. Soundstage is good. It all depends on your amp and speakers as well - obviously enough - but I find, the more I listen to it, your position surprising. It's patently beyond "cheap" sounding, patently. It might look like a cheapo player, but performance is way over and above what you're reporting.

Bass depth is good, there's a nice midrange, the treble's a bit keen but not sharp or ear piercing - it sits to the fore, but there's enough going on elsewhere in playback to counteract what it's doing. Put it with bright electronics across the board and it'll lose friends. Partner it well and it's a winner.

I'd dump the cable if I was you...
emotion-5.gif

manicm

TBH I'm thinking flogging my Arcam and Sony and going for Marantz's Blu-ray all-in-one, if only I could be assured picture quality would be as good.

Come on WHF - what's taking you so long? You can't arm-wrestle Marantz?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
In my experience my new bluray player (sony s350) sounded a lot better with CD than all of these:

- old cd player Teac 500 range (10yo)

- old dvd player Teac 300 range (8yo)

- old CD recorder Marantz DR6000 (10yo)

manicm

It's all what we hear really. You're welcome to laugh - but no audio/video disc spinner I've subsequently had came close to my old Technics CD player. The damn thing was a 2nd hand stress-test case and didn't even have remote control.

A

Anonymous

Well whats the chances of this?? I have the same units and been pondering the same. the denon 670 was the business when i bought it 18 years ago. the only thing is i lost the remote.

58bry

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
In 1988 the Technics was £500 and boasted 4 x 18 bit DACS. Whilst moving the listening room around i connected the Samsung in place of the Technics "" just out of curiosity !! "". I was amazed, a £75 DVD player blew the Technics totally away.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts