sound quality from Pioneer 428XD?

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
Can anyone tell me how good the built-in sound is from the 428XD? Would the built-in speakers, plus maybe plugging a subwoofer into the provided socket, provide a decent enough sound experience for movies, or is it really worth ignoring the built-in sound and going for a proper 5.1 setup? Also, what about the same question but re the sound from a Sony KDL40W3000?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't tell me you're going to buy either of those superb sets and not add a secondary sound system.

Yes, both the Pioneer and Sony are decent-sounding for flatscreens (they both scored four out of five for sound when we tested them head-to-head), but such glorious pictures deserve far more weight, dynamics and scale than ANY flatscreen TV can manage.

It doesn't have to be a full 5.1 set-up - we realise not every home/relationship will allow one - but with superb 2.1 speaker systems or Yamaha's YSP sound-bars on offer, there are sonic solutions around that will really add to your enjoyment of your TV.

Apologies if all that came out a bit ranty, but we're passionate about people getting the full entertainment experience, not just the vision thing....

A

Anonymous

Yes, Clare is spot on. (It was not a rant - it was an observation strongly put!!)

I have only just entered this magical world of flat screen. Pioneer 428xd with a Sony Dav-is10 surround set-up. My feeling was that if I was going to spend that amount of money on a screen, it would be crazy not to have the sound to go with the stunning visuals.

At the HiFi Show I heard the Boston Acoustics TVee Model Two Soundbar + Wireless Bass Speaker (Americans do love titles). I was blown away - so much so that had I not bought the Sony, I would have given the Boston serious thought. £330 Amazon. Don't know how it compares with the Yamaha, though.

I know, like my Sony, its not 'serious' kit, but it would be a good step up from just the TVs speakers.

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
Thanks Clare (no apology necessary), and David.

David, how do you find the DAV-IS10? I was looking at that, because it's a really neat and simple solution that got high marks in the magazine.

My only concerns are:
1) It's not a 'real' HD source. Given I need to replace my DVD with an upscaling one, it might make more sense to buy a Blu-ray player that will upscale standard DVDs and also provide a genuine HD source which otherwise we don't have (no plans to get Sky HD, for example)
2) There doesn't seem to be any inputs for other sources to use the DAV-IS10. For example, if I bought the DAV-IS10 now and wanted to add a Blu-ray player, can I connect that to the DAV-IS10 or can I only use the built-in player with it?
3) It doesn't support the new HD audio formats (but then not much does, as far as I can tell). So even if I was able to connect a Blu-ray player, I'd lose the benefit of the HD audio on those discs (although, could I tell the difference on the little Sony speakers, or is that only an issue for the real high-end enthusiasts?)

Since I've been behind the times for soooo long, it would be nice to step into the future a little bit and ensure we had support for the new HD audio formats. But that means getting something like the Onkyo 605 (unless there's an alternative that's less disgustingly hideously ugly?) plus speakers plus Blu-ray player.

Any ideas for a solution less than £1,000? Or is the Sony my best bet?

A

Anonymous

consider the monitor audio bronze and you can upgrade front speakers to br5s and get top quality qed cable, all for £990 i paid. it sounds awesome. could clare or anyone else tell me if it is more suibtable on the pioneer to use tv speakers if you are just watchin say the news or will the front mains still sound better.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Unless you literally were flicking the set on to catch the headlines for a couple of minutes, and couldn't be bothered to power up your surround system, we'd always advocate the superior sound option. It's amazing how much more impact everything has when you get the sound and vision equation sorted.

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
I know the Monitor Audio setup would sound much better, but I saw the Sony DAV-IS10 earlier today and those tiny speakers would be great in terms of the 'wife approval factor'. The system is so compact and feels like it has decent build quality too.

Anyone know if I can connect an external source (e.g. BDP300) to the DAV-IS10? I forgot to ask. I know I won't get the new HD audio formats but a Blu-ray disk will still provide regular dts or dolby digital won't it?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the Sony's got an optical input for another source - Sky box, DVD player etc - and you'll get the regular Dolby/DTS mix from HD discs. Which are not to be sniffed at - we're finding so far that these are typically at a much higher bitrate (ie less compressed) than their DVD equivalent.

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Yes, the Sony's got an optical input for another source - Sky box, DVD player etc - and you'll get the regular Dolby/DTS mix from HD discs. Which are not to be sniffed at - we're finding so far that these are typically at a much higher bitrate (ie less compressed) than their DVD equivalent.

[/quote]

Thanks Clare, that's good to know. Only one problem: if I want to connect both the Blu-ray player AND the (non-HD) Sky box, or I guess the TVs own Freeview, can I do that or am I out of luck if it only has one input?

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site

[/quote]

Thanks Clare, that's good to know. Only one problem: if I want to connect both the Blu-ray player AND the (non-HD) Sky box, or I guess the TVs own Freeview, can I do that or am I out of luck if it only has one input?

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
It has coaxial and optical inputs (plus analogue), so is more flexible than most on that score...

[/quote]

Er, does that mean it has effectively 2 inputs (plus an analogue one) so I could connect both a Sky box and a Blu-ray player? What about the TV itself?

Is it possible to connect devices (e.g. Sky box, Wii) to the TV directly and then connect the TV to the DAV-IS10? Sorry if this all sounds a bit thick!

A

Anonymous

You can have a HDMI link between the DAV-IS10 and the TV. They should talk to each other that way.

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
So, I could connect:

TV --> HDMI
Blu-ray player --> Optical input
Sky box --> digital coaxial input
Wii --> analogue input

?

That would basically cover everything (except the VCR), if it works!

G.

PS As regards the VCR, if I connect that via Scart to the TV, will the TV ouput (via HDMI) the audio from the VCR to the DAV-IS10 (obviously not surround, but...).

A

Anonymous

I think that the sound from the VCR would then be confined to the TV speakers. Any reason for still keeping the VCR?

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="david1997"]
I think that the sound from the VCR would then be confined to the TV speakers. Any reason for still keeping the VCR?
[/quote]

LOL. No, I guess not. There's some stuff I have on videotape (some movies, but mostly tapes of my band, etc) which isn't available in any other format. But I've been thinking I should get around to digitizing those in any case, which I've started on, but never got around to completing the job.

But the other connections should all work OK?

A

Anonymous

clare...something i have thought about with regards to your ealier answer.. it makes the 50 inch a better option as if your not going to use speakers included then the 50 inch which is a added extra is better value as the manufacterers are charging you just for a screen. surely thats the better buy for me and others with surrounds

A

Anonymous

Clare, you have well and truly whacked the nail into the cranium!! If you want 'Home Cinema', as opposed to watching your DVDs on a big screen, then a projector has to be the way to go. Problem for me would be not just be the cost of the projector, a decent screen and a sound system to do the whole set-up justice, but I would either need a very large room or a dedicated room to have it set up in.

For me my tv (pioneer 428xd) has to be a compromise. I have it to watch the news, sport, drama etc as well as to watch films. In an ideal world I would have a tv for 'telly things' and a home cinema room/area for, well...'cinema things'

Is your projector also your tv?..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts