sound meter advice

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm wanting to get a digital sound meter,any good cheap ones?

Also the point is to help balance the sound output of my 5.1,is 75db for each speaker correct?Never done anything like this so advice very much appreciated:)

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Accuracy? U will need a decent meter for any 'serious' eq measurements. Free software is available thru a laptop. Free app ok I guess for basic confirmation of levels thru ipad

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm installing Decibel 10th on the ipad....if its no good then it doesnt matter as it was free.

The ipad should have a mic,music can be played and i think voices recorded.

Edit:Nah thats no good,it doesnt actualy measure sound! Trying another spl meter...this one 69p so better be good.... :roll:

michael hoy

GSB said:
I'm installing Decibel 10th on the ipad....if its no good then it doesnt matter as it was free.

The ipad should have a mic,music can be played and i think voices recorded.

Edit:Nah thats no good,it doesnt actualy measure sound! Trying another spl meter...this one 69p so better be good.... :roll:

GSB

Do not bother with the apps, they are not accurate enough for what you want.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
TBH i'm not wasting £30+ untill i understand the process.I used the 69p app and with a pink noise tone(from pink floyd's pulse dvd) turned the sound up to 0....the front L/R speakers peaked at 79db,the center at 86,the rears at 78 and the sub at 72db.Now to reach 85db i guess thats were triming comes in,correct?:)

michael hoy

Use the test tone built into the amp, send the tone to each speaker seperately by manually changing the output from the amp menu.

Usually the output to achieve is 75 dB, if using a SPL meter this would be pointing upwards, not directly at the speaker and at ear height.

Setting on the SPL meter should be C weighting and slow response.

Set the volume control to 0 before performing the test.

£30.00 + would be money well spent, considering the equipment you now have. :)

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
What i'm trying to achieve is to balance the 5.1 from the analogues(105),by passing the avr,hence why i used pink noise from a disk,as per the oppo instruction manual.

I probably will get one at some point,but for now my integrated amp fund is staying un-touched... :rofl:

Off to visit Audio Republic in Leeds tomorow :cheers:

michael hoy

GSB said:
What i'm trying to achieve is to balance the 5.1 from the analogues(105),by passing the avr,hence why i used pink noise from a disk,as per the oppo instruction manual.

I probably will get one at some point,but for now my integrated amp fund is staying un-touched... :rofl:

Off to visit Audio Republic in Leeds tomorow :cheers:

OK, you didn't state this at the begining.

Not got round to setting my multichannel analogue up yet.

Enjoy your demo.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
You must, with the scene settings on my avr i'm able to do a side by side comparoson...the sq i get is far superior than that over HDMI:)

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
They were shut :rofl:

I didn't call them to arrange as i thought we would be elsewhere,so just went up on the off chance,but least i know where they are now :)

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry,yeah looking for an integrated,either the Music Fidelity M3i,as recomended by Cno,or the Naim Nait XS recomended by hifix(david's lot)

What do you think to the pre-amp on your oppo?

michael hoy

Hi GSB,

In between pulling wallpaper of and 90% of the plaster, I have had a play around with my new SPL meter (This one).

It does seem to be more accurate across the range than my old Radio Shack digital meter, copied my current settings to one of my spare memory slots on the Pioneer and tweaked it with the meter only, need to do some more checks. The meter has been calibrated with a certificate with it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts