Sound comparison between AV and 2 channel amp - reviewed.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Just thought some of you may like to hear what findings I got when running the above test. Kit used was a Marantz CD63 mkII KI cd player, Q Acoustics 1030i floorstanders, the onkyo TX SR606 av amp and a Marantz PM6010 KI stereo amplifer. Also, the Cable Talk Monitor 3 interconnector was used, as well as the QED Profile 4x4 speaker cable.

When using the Marantz amp, the speakers were bi wired, and with the Onkyo they were bi amped. Both Onkyo and cd player has a Clearer Audio Alpha mains cable, but the Marantz stereo amp had the standard one.

Therefore the only differences between the two systems were the amps used, the bi amping on the Onkyo rather than bi wiring on the Marantz and the replacement mains cable on the Onkyo.

The way both portrayed the music was quite different. The Marantz (a What hifi star from the 90's) had a clear, unmuddled sound. Vocals were clear and the bass was tight. My foot was trapping away to the music.

Changing to the Onkyo, and I found myself hearing much more bass to the sound. The vocals stood out further in front of the music, and was as clear as the Marantz. But what became apparent was the midrange 'mess'. It's the only word I can think of to describe a sound that had no separation and clarity compared with the Marantz.

After further listening, the bass from the Onkyo amp was starting to become too much - don't get me wrong, the bass is great from 5.1 movies, but a little too much for music. Returning back to the Marantz, the sound felt warm and relaxing in comparsion, and never over powering.

Clearly, the 'budget' AV amps still have a little to go to be able to produce good 2 channel playback.....

Bring on the next generation of AV amps (Out during the next 3-5 months)- and lets hope they have improved!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts