Sound base with HDMI in and out?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Ideally FL/C/FR plus sub but definitely HDMI in and ARC out (or back in if you get my drift). Don't need or want simulated 5.1 or mock Atmos or anything else.

Modestly priced.

Suggestions?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Sound base preferred because the telly has quite a low stand of its own and the old Panny and Sammy sound bars I already have "look ugly" according to the Memsahib (and she's right) and obscure the bottom edge of the picture. Short of putting the TV on bricks or a bit of wood, therefore....

Oh. And having a small " sub" built in is an advantage too....

Andy TW

Jul 13, 2007
Visit site
If your TV has a central stand (or its feet are less than 70cm apart) then Sony does a range of sound bases which may be suitable.

Benedict_Arnold said:
Looks good, only problem is the TV's own stand is the thick end of 36 inches across....
I changed the stand of my Samsung 65 inch TV to accommodate the Playbar underneath, to this:

FITUEYES Universal Swivel Table Pedestal TV Stand for 32 to 65 inch TT107002GB

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GT48ALQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_pg6dBb27KWQH3

bigboss said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Looks good, only problem is the TV's own stand is the thick end of 36 inches across....
I changed the stand of my Samsung 65 inch TV to accommodate the Playbar underneath, to this:

FITUEYES Universal Swivel Table Pedestal TV Stand for 32 to 65 inch TT107002GB

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GT48ALQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_pg6dBb27KWQH3

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
BB- many thanks for that tip!

I've found the same product on Amazon USA, US$40 for the 32 to 65 inch TV model. A great tip also for people who wall mount a TV, junk the OEM stand then move house and want to put their TV on a stand again. Wonder who that might be....

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I like the look of that QAcoustic sound base you recommended too.

The 1608 has RCA pre amp outs for FL and FR which I can hook up to the sound base's RCA ins, use the fibre optic for ordinary TV use.

Only question remains whether I will need a dedicated centre speaker or whether the close sitting of the FL and FR inside the sound bar will suffice. That might be a "suck it and see" I guess....

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
WAY too expensive (the receiver only cost me $500 remember) and from whit I can see in the on-line manuals the MA SB-?s are both passive and use banana plug type binding posts....

Nice piece of kit though...

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Solved my problem, hopefully, with a Saga Luxury Edition The Knight Two-Way 3-Channel Passive Soundbar from Amazon.com.

Left centre right configuration, completely passive and runs off the speaker outs from the AVR.

At $220 including (zero) tax (bought on line from out of State - a quirk of the US sales tax system) and free shipping, its not the cheapest but a THIRD of the price of the QAcostics or Klipsch alternatives.

Not expecting miracles for $200 and not hoping for the audio quality of a pair of ProAcs either. Its due here Monday or Tuesday so we shall see...

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
So the thing arrived Monday.

Can't fault the quality of the case or the speaker terminals at all really. Nice glossy black, sturdy, nice and heavy. The speakers terminals take banana plugs or spades or bare wires, and they're angled which will help anyone doing a wall mount. Only gripe really is that the grille is held on by little plastic prongs not magnets.

Sound? Jury is still out. I didn't expect it to be as good as discrete speakers or perhaps an offering from QAcostics or Klipsh. Its hard to describe but is kind of muffled and boomy* at the same time. Maybe it needs to run in, maybe I need to run Audessey. I don't know. Oddly though turning it upside down so the bass ports fire downwards helped it sound less boomy. I can also see if putting it on rubber feet so its not resting on the glass Fitueyes base I'm using helps.

We'll see...

* EDIT - "boxy" is another term I would use.... Where's the link to the WHF journo thesorus again? ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts