Sound Absorption Placement

jazzbass12

May 25, 2023
Visit site
Hi,
I am trying to add 4 sound absorption panels for reflections. I did the mirror trick for 1st and 2nd reflections in my small room (see tape and panels in picture).
It seems like the 1st panels are very close to speaker. I have attached a few pictures of where I think they should go.

The speakers are close to the wall and maybe that is why the 1st reflection placement is so close?
I only have the 4 panels at this point and I am way over budget for this year.
I also have bass traps on each corner of the wall.

There are 4 on the rear wall coming down from ceiling stacked and 2 on front wall. I have 2 left and not sure if I should install those last 2 right under the ones you see in the pictures…

Room is 20’ wide and 10’long.

Looking for feedback before I mount these.

Thanks
Rich

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 19
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 18
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: hifi

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Ideally, you need to measure the room with software and a mic to see what is actually being affected and at what frequency or you're literally just pi&&ing up the walls. Those panels might not be actually doing anything conducive to your set-up. not to mention your forgetting the ceiling which is normally a massive problem.

A lot of your problems would be solved by simply pulling the speakers from the corners and sitting closer. Heck, there's nothing else in this space and is clearly used just for listening, you would be easily able to implement the Cardis rules of set-up in this space to great effect.

If I had a space like that id be sitting nearfield as much as possible, a meter maybe 2 with the same amount of space around the speakers and you.

In other words, nail the setup and placement first before spending money and sticking things on walls

Reactions: Al ears

jazzbass12

May 25, 2023
Visit site
IMHO the speakers are just too close to the walls and cabinet and no amount of acoustic panels will solve the issue.

Tricky solution. Perhaps smaller, narrower speakers. I would also pull them away from the back wall and cabinet, sitting slightly proud.
Ya I just pulled them out 2 feet. Haven't mounted the sound panels . I'm not sure if I am going to use them or not. They were a gift

Attachments

• unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 6
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 6

jazzbass12

May 25, 2023
Visit site
I'd still move them further out from the sidewall and move your listening position closer..but that's just me, you're the one with this equipment and your ears. :)
Your probably correct. Got make the best of what I have. I just don't want to block the case cabinets. No other place to relocate the cabinets between the speakers.. Still sounds pretty good though

jazzbass12

May 25, 2023
Visit site
The other issue, going on those photos, is the speakers are around 5 feet apart, that will impact on the stereo imagine. Mine are over 6 feet and I have compact standmounts. They sound fantastic.
True - I do have a pair of "New Large Advents" that might better fit this room. I could sell the Klipsch. They have the Crites crossovers and teeters. Might improve selling values.

Attachments

• lkqphghat7n41.jpg
    lkqphghat7n41.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 5
True - I do have a pair of "New Large Advents" that might better fit this room. I could sell the Klipsch. They have the Crites crossovers and teeters. Might improve selling values.
Sorry if I sound pedantic, but I'm big on room acoustics and placement. For me, that is important than the kit itself. You have to fit the system based on your room size and acoustics.

The panels can only do so much.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts