Sorry, Cno but...

... it looks as if the Kef R300 are way too deep for my living room. When I popped into Unilet on Saturday with my cables I had a butchers at various speakers. The R300s were at the top of my must see list... didn't have the time to have a listen but straight away I saw they looked very deep - they're bloody huge. They're not far off Dyns Contour S1.4 in terms of depth. They'll stick out too far in the living room.

The LS50s looked good as did PMC GB1is and Twenty 22s and ProAc Response D1s. My RS6 are about 25 cms but the 300s looked far deeper. Didn't expect them to be that big TBH.

I'm a little bit deflated in all truth. Sorry. :doh:

The LS50s looked a little more room friendly. The PMC 22 are almost as deep but may just work because they are front ported. But it is all conjecture at this stage.

Disappointed for Cno because he's been pushing these my way (along with Coventry Dave), but this is the first time I've seen them in the flesh, so to speak.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
My Dyns X12 are 25,5 cm. The Contour are 36 cm, lot more... And consithering they need space between them and rear/ side walls.

Never heard the Kef R range, but will some day!

You'll find your set of speakers!

:cheers:

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
... it looks as if the Kef R300 are way too deep for my living room. When I popped into Unilet on Saturday with my cables I had a butchers at various speakers. The R300s were at the top of my must see list... didn't have the time to have a listen but straight away I saw they looked very deep - they're bloody huge. They're not far off Dyns Contour S1.4 in terms of depth. They'll stick out too far in the living room.

[...]

PP, if it's any consolation, I have the same problem. A lot of good modern speakers are too deep for "normal" living rooms. But some speakers are less than 300mm deep and can sit close to rear walls. Have you looked at Neats?

Matt

matt49 said:
plastic penguin said:

[...]

Have you looked at Neats?

Matt

Don't know - most of the reviews say their top end can be provoked. I know Totems, like MA and Neats, have metal domed tweeters I want to get away from that slightly temperamental treble. The Totems have a sublime treble, full of character but never grates. Not sure why that should be, though.

Thanks Matt.

BTW, the Arros are only 18cm deep. half the depth of the R300s.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The R300s are certainly much deeper than they appear in photos........but the LS50s are also so good, that I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer them.

At the end of the day, all I want is for people to make the right decision (for them), and so put forward suggestions with this in mind.....so I'll be happy if you end up making the right choice.

TBH I hadn't given any real thought about depth until I saw them and then "Ahh". It's a ****** as i really wanted to hear them before I part with money. Don't see the point now. It also nobbles B&W 805S, ProAc Response D2 and - possibly - PMC 22s. These were the ones I recently listed.

DocG said:
Hi PP,

If you can spot a dealer, you could add the Guru QM10two to your shortlist (W x D x H= 300 x 252 x 232 mm; to be used against the wall). If you're OK with their looks, that is.

They've got touch of the Ikeas about them. Not sure where I would source any.

Not totally short of options: Totems, ProAc D1, LS50, PMC 'i' range, Focal, Usher, Epos, B&W PM1, Neats, Spendor....

Should be enough to keep me going for a while. :)

My first concern is getting the Leema repaired then I'll look at possible options....

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
DocG said:
Hi PP,

If you can spot a dealer, you could add the Guru QM10two to your shortlist (W x D x H= 300 x 252 x 232 mm; to be used against the wall). If you're OK with their looks, that is.

They've got touch of the Ikeas about them. Not sure where I would source any.

Not totally short of options: Totems, ProAc D1, LS50, PMC 'i' range, Focal, Usher, Epos, B&W PM1, Neats, Spendor....

Should be enough to keep me going for a while. :)

"Shortlist" is somewhat of an understatement, I see... ;).

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Although I'd say the odds are on for Totem or PMC, I believe that this is a longer race, and over the distances we are talking about a dark horse could appear from nowhere (as we saw with PP's Naim CDP).

ID. said:
Although I'd say the odds are on for Totem or PMC, I believe that this is a longer race, and over the distances we are talking about a dark horse could appear from nowhere (as we saw with PP's Naim CDP).

Indeed - I will never say never, although there are brands I tend to gravitate to and others I'd shy away from a little.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
A "Dark Horse" brand that few have heard of, is Taga.....maybe keep an eye out. They are supposed to give an awful lot of speaker for the money, so I must try and get a listen.

http://www.taga-audio.com/public/files/PDF/Catalog_2013-06.pdf

http://www.kronosav.com/tav-906f-floorstanding-speaker.html

The Platinum F60 is about £800

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
ID. said:

Indeed - I will never say never, although there are brands I tend to gravitate to and others I'd shy away from a little.

woudn't Leemas own Zone(is it) floorstanders be worth investigating.

Um said:
plastic penguin said:
ID. said:

woudn't Leemas own Zone(is it) floorstanders be worth investigating.

Xones - yup they seem the obvious match and the size is ideal for my room. I know this sounds odd but heard conflicting reports about their compatability with the sibling amp. A few years ago they were raved when paired with the Tucana but more recent review with the smaller Xeroes and my Pulse suggested it was too in ya face.

Could also factor in Rega RS3 or 5s.

TBH, I've got speaker brain drain at the mo. My main concern getting my headphone socket remedied on the amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts