Sorry, Amps Again - Onkyo 606

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to be a bit short but i have to get this written then dash out.

Do you think the 606 would be ok in a tv cabinet that is open at the front, with a hole in the back for leads, but with very little room for air above (just a couple milimetres or so)? Also, what do people think about removing the feet on the 606 to create more room...?

Razzler

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
HI There I would suggest not. I have a simmilar dilema but was told its not a good idea. I learnt that there should be a least 3 inchs gap and the feet don't come off. I had to get a new TV stand.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Damn. Damn damn damn!

thanks tho!
emotion-21.gif

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
take a proper look at your cabinet's back. It's possibly just hardboard, which is only 3mm thick. If that's the case (and assuming it's not glued in place) it will be stapled on. You can (using the pointy scissor) prise out the staples, and remove it, then increase the size of the rear opening to make it fully open at the back. You will need to replace it tho - the back of a cabinet is essential to maintaining the shape - but you can just put a frame (i.e. 5-10cm all around) section back on. I did this with an old pioneer amp that ran hot, but I did have a bit more clearance at the top (8cm, I recall).

EDIT: re-read your original post. a few mm only - thought it was cm! That's not going to give you the required airflow. Are both shelves the same depth? Can you lower the shelf at all - if it's loose you can lift it out and drill some more holes for the plugs it sits on.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
al7478:Do you think the 606 would be ok in a tv cabinet that is open at the front, with a hole in the back for leads, but with very little room for air above (just a couple milimetres or so)? Also, what do people think about removing the feet on the 606 to create more room...?

Sorry for late reply - just caught up on this one. No, I don't think it's a great idea - all AV receivers need room for air to circulate around, above and below them. For the same reason - and the fact it'll make the unit more prone to vibration - taking the feet off isn't a great idea, either.

A

Anonymous

I did read on another thread that Onkyo amps draw air from the bottom for cooling so removing the feet is a noooooo nooooo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts