Sorbothane Feet

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I've had to commit the ultimate(?) sin. Having bought a new Amp and CD for my living room I've moved most of my 80's gear into a spare room which is so small I have absolutely no option other than to put my speakers on top of the cabinet ( actually an Ikea Benno TV cabinet http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90201688/ )holding my amp tuner and cd player.

The Benno obviously vibrates from the speakers so I thought I'd give these a try http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300861783618?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I bought two lots a set of four for each speaker. A bit sceptical that 3mm thick pads could be of any use but Iwas pleasantly surprised that at normal listening volumes I cannot detect any vibrations being passed onto the Benno, whereas without I can feel the Benno vibrating with my fingertips. Even cranking up the volume there was very little vibration in the Benno.

I can't really say if the system sounds any better but I was concerned at the vibrations being passed onto the CDP. I don't use this second system for serious listening, rather as background for when I'm at my PC.

So anyone wondering if little bits of sorbothane can isolate equipment from transmitted vibrations it certainly seems they can!

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I thought so, I had tried some foam rubber I had lying around, actually the stuff you put under laminate flooring but it didn't make that much difference.

So I was impressed at the ability of sorbothane to absorb vibes. I didn't try blutac as It's a pain trying to separate the stuff I've used it on my main system but it's more to prevent the speakers getting knocked off their stands!

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I thought so, I had tried some foam rubber I had lying around, actually the stuff you put under laminate flooring but it didn't make that much difference.

So I was impressed at the ability of sorbothane to absorb vibes. I didn't try blutac as It's a pain trying to separate the stuff I've used it on my main system but it's more to prevent the speakers getting knocked off their stands!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
These things are always worth trying, especially if they are cheap.

Sorbothane is certainly supposed to help......if you are not happy, Auralex make isolation solutions (MoPads / Speaker Dudes HD).

michael hoy

$T2eC16R,!zQE9s3ssN68BRUtovj5Rg~~60_35.JPG

These work well.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Everything resonates albeit at different frequencies.

One compound only is unlikely to quelch vibrations equally well under/in ... or on top of objects.

A mixture of absorbants, ideally also a mixture of heavy and light, dense and less so materials will probably do the most effective job.

I accidently came across these ...

grlotyx1mgl94lhfg.jpg

grlotyx1mgl94lhfg.jpg

They weigh a ton, well just over 1 kg each and have and have soft rubber inserts. Got them for a turntable project and liked them so bought some more.

A couple are currently residing on top of a pair of speakers and they do their job even there. - Nice stainless steel. Price? - £2.99 each ... Aldi is your friend.

If they had the word 'audio' attached you'd pay a ransome.

They make your average sorbothane feet look like infants toys :)

regards

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
drummerman said:
Everything resonates albeit at different frequencies.

One compound only is unlikely to quelch vibrations equally well under/in ... or on top of objects.

A mixture of absorbants, ideally also a mixture of heavy and light, dense and less so materials will probably do the most effective job.

I accidently came across these ...

grlotyx1mgl94lhfg.jpg

grlotyx1mgl94lhfg.jpg

They weigh a ton, well just over 1 kg each and have and have soft rubber inserts. Got them for a turntable project and liked them so bought some more.

A couple are currently residing on top of a pair of speakers and they do their job even there. - Nice stainless steel. Price? - £2.99 each ... Aldi is your friend.

If they had the word 'audio' attached you'd pay a ransome.

They make your average sorbothane feet look like infants toys :)

regards

What is it (ie. when not masquerading as an isolation device)? :?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts