Sony X800, load of rubbish....

Anyone else got the new Sony 4k player?

Having real issues with it constantly freezing making the remote buttons inactive. Should have saved up for the Oppo 203 I know.

This thing may be going back soon as 'unfit for purpose' ......

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:

Having real issues with it constantly freezing making the remote buttons inactive. Should have saved up for the Oppo 203 I know.

Yeap having same problems here. Sometimes it just refuse to do anything. HDR pictures are stunning and that has been the reason for keeping it so far. Mine is about 6 weeks now not sure if John Lewis will still acccept.

Edit: Actually bought mine 1st of Feb so just over 4 weeks will give John Lewis a call and see what they say.

Native_bon said:
Al ears said:

Yeap having same problems here. Sometimes it just refuse to do anything. HDR pictures are stunning and that has been the reason for keeping it so far. Mine is about 6 weeks now not sure if John Lewis will still acccept.

Edit: Actually bought mine 1st of Feb so just over 4 weeks will give John Lewis a call and see what they say.

I gathered from a Google search that this is a common problem. It has most up to date software and I have done a full reset to no avail. Picture quality is irrelevant if it cannot actually play a disc all the way through. Got couple of 4k discs yesterday and was looking forward to playing them. Same issues, so frustrating. I sometimes wonder how reviewers don't pick up on this, perhaps they don't play a disc for more than 15 minutes.

Reactions: eoc69

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Its a shame though why these problems are not picked up in reviews like you mention. Just yesterday night i had friends over and it then decided to really play up, nowing my luck. I think your confirmation of the problem has swayed me to return the item.

Native_bon said:
Its a shame though why these problems are not picked up in reviews like you mention. Just yesterday night i had friends over and it then decided to really play up, nowing my luck. I think your confirmation of the problem has swayed me to return the item.

I have made some changes in the Settings and today it has played a disc past the point of freezing yesterday, however I am not holding out hope for the long-term. These issues have niggling doubts about getting a replacement as well.

EDIT:

Just to let you know the only change I made was in System Settings / HDMI Settings / and turned Control for HDMI to Off.

Not sure if and why this should make any difference because it's enabled normally.

Any thoughts anybody, would this be the cause of problem or was this purely a lucky one off that might not even have changed anything. Will speak to Sony Technical tomorrow but don't hold out much hope.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
That's terrible and reminds me of my first experience of Bluray, I had exactly the same symptoms on my first BD player (also a Sony), it totally put me off Bluray for at least a couple of years. I hope you manage to resolve your issues soon.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
Native_bon said:
Its a shame though why these problems are not picked up in reviews like you mention. Just yesterday night i had friends over and it then decided to really play up, nowing my luck. I think your confirmation of the problem has swayed me to return the item.

I have made some changes in the Settings and today it has played a disc past the point of freezing yesterday, however I am not holding out hope for the long-term. These issues have niggling doubts about getting a replacement as well.

EDIT:

Just to let you know the only change I made was in System Settings / HDMI Settings / and turned Control for HDMI to Off.

Not sure if and why this should make any difference because it's enabled normally.

Any thoughts anybody, would this be the cause of problem or was this purely a lucky one off that might not even have changed anything. Will speak to Sony Technical tomorrow but don't hold out much hope.
I hope that does resolve your problem. Mine refused to play again yesterday. Had to unplug from mains to get it going again. Also most times when watching Netflix it just cuts out.

Lucky I was still within my 35days return period. Mine went back yesterday. Hope you get yours working, but I was not prepared to take that risk. If and when the problems are resolved may decide to buy again.

Would be interesting to hear what Sony tech support has to say.

Native_bon said:
Al ears said:
Native_bon said:

EDIT:

I hope that does resolve your problem. Mine refused to play again yesterday. Had to unplug from mains to get it going again. Also most times when watching Netflix it just cuts out.

Lucky I was still within my 35days return period. Mine went back yesterday. Hope you get yours working, but I was not prepared to take that risk. If and when the problems are resolved may decide to buy again.

Well fingers crossed, since I altered settings I have managed to play 3 discs without a freeze including one that previously froze after 15 minutes playing.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
Native_bon said:
Al ears said:
Native_bon said:

EDIT:

Well fingers crossed, since I altered settings I have managed to play 3 discs without a freeze including one that previously froze after 15 minutes playing.
Nice to hear its working for you so far. I just found it generally very glitchy. I always got the option of buying again. Hope its smooth sailing from here on for you. *good*

Samd

Al ears said:
laserman16 said:
Al ears said:
Samd said:
There are a number of threads about having to turn off CEC on the X800 but not sure they are addressing the same issues that you have.

What is CEC? I can't find it in my settings.

I think that is HDMI control.

I see, so that's exactly what I have done.....

Indeed. I mentioned specifically CEC cos that's the term used in the topics I found for your X800's faults rather than Bravia, the Sony term for CEC.

Any road up - hope it continues to work proper!

Samd said:
Al ears said:
laserman16 said:
Al ears said:
Samd said:
There are a number of threads about having to turn off CEC on the X800 but not sure they are addressing the same issues that you have.

Indeed. I mentioned specifically CEC cos that's the term used in the topics I found for your X800's faults rather than Bravia, the Sony term for CEC.

I hope so too as the initial response from Sony tech was distinctly unhelpful.

Could I try different HDMI leads?, I already use expensive hispeed cables that can handle 4k from the reknown The Chord Company.

Could I try a different TV? It is connected to a very recent 4k 55inch Sony TV which is the only one I own..... if the great Sony Corporation cannot produce a bluray player that works flawlessly with one of their own TVs then I am flabbergasted. My old Panasonic player worked just fine from start to finish and is still going strong at my brothers place.

Could I see if the apps like Netflix also froze?, why? What does this have with playing a disc successfully. I use the apps on my TV so don't need to turn on yet another device to access them.

What a load of ****. Hardly inspires confidence. Hence my current savings plan to purchase an Oppo 203. ;-)

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
Samd said:
Al ears said:
laserman16 said:
Al ears said:
Samd said:

Could I try different HDMI leads?, I already use expensive hispeed cables that can handle 4k from the reknown The Chord Company.

Could I try a different TV? It is connected to a very recent 4k 55inch Sony TV which is the only one I own..... if the great Sony Corporation cannot produce a bluray player that works flawlessly with one of their own TVs then I am flabbergasted. My old Panasonic player worked just fine from start to finish and is still going strong at my brothers place.

Could I see if the apps like Netflix also froze?, why? What does this have with playing a disc successfully. I use the apps on my TV so don't need to turn on yet another device to access them.

What a load of ****. Hardly inspires confidence. Hence my current savings plan to purchase an Oppo 203. ;-)
You can't beat Oppo when it comes to reliability and tech support. My Oppo 105EU still going strong, no problems what so ever. *dirol*

Native_bon said:
Al ears said:
Samd said:
Al ears said:
laserman16 said:
Al ears said:
Samd said:

You can't beat Oppo when it comes to reliability and tech support. My Oppo 105EU still going strong, no problems what so ever. *dirol*

Yep, so is mine. Unfortunately it's not 4k. ;-)

D

Deleted member 2457

Now Sony down the pan just like Pioneer players before and I hear LG players too! Interestingly so was the Oppo 203 when it first come out and had a host of problems which are now mainly fixed I think with firmware updates. Panasonic are good and reliable, which part of the Blu-ray player are you using? I have two players the Oppo 203 and the Panasonic ub400 now and both are as good as each other picture wise. Just trying to save you some money if possible. Forget that comment I would probably still go with the Oppo 203.

gel said:
Now Sony down the pan just like Pioneer players before and I hear LG players too! Interestingly so was the Oppo 203 when it first come out and had a host of problems which are now mainly fixed I think with firmware updates. Panasonic are good and reliable, which part of the Blu-ray player are you using? I have two players the Oppo 203 and the Panasonic ub400 now and both are as good as each other picture wise. Just trying to save you some money if possible. Forget that comment I would probably still go with the Oppo 203.

That was, ultimately, my plan but then the X800 starts behaving itself...... dohh!

Samd

Al ears said:
gel said:

That was, ultimately, my plan but then the X800 starts behaving itself...... dohh!

..switching HDMI control back on? If it wobbled again following that, you would be able to switch back and thereby satisfy yourself that there is nothing 'wrong' with your actual set.

gel said:
Now Sony down the pan just like Pioneer players before and I hear LG players too!  Interestingly so was the Oppo 203 when it first come out and had a host of problems which are now mainly fixed I think with firmware updates.  Panasonic are good and reliable, which part of the Blu-ray player are you using?  I have two players the Oppo 203 and the Panasonic ub400 now and both are as good as each other picture wise. Just trying to save you some money if possible.  Forget that comment I would probably still go with the Oppo 203.  
I thought you returned the Panasonic. Why do you have 2 players?

buzz_lightclick

bigboss said:
gel said:

i think Gel just likes trying out all the potential half decent 4K blu ray players until he settles on one (or two!) that he is happy with!

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi BB, I did return it but then I bought my mum and dad an Oled TV, so then I thought they need a 4K Blu-ray player too, so I bought it again for £25 more! Doh. But my mum and dad ended are paying for both, so I didn’t pay anything, but can still enjoy them in the second lounge.

D

Deleted member 2457

buzz_lightclick said:
bigboss said:
gel said:

i think Gel just likes trying out all the potential half decent 4K blu ray players until he settles on one (or two!) that he is happy with!
Something like that Buzz.
thumbs_up.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts