Sony X800, load of rubbish....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

buzz_lightclick

gel said:
Hi BB, I did return it but then I bought my mum and dad an Oled TV, so then I thought they need a 4K Blu-ray player too, so I bought it again for £25 more! Doh. But my mum and dad ended are paying for both, so I didn’t pay anything, but can still enjoy them in the second lounge.

That’s a result, you have more money available for your next upgrade then! *good*

Samd said:
Al ears said:
gel said:
Now Sony down the pan just like Pioneer players before and I hear LG players too! Interestingly so was the Oppo 203 when it first come out and had a host of problems which are now mainly fixed I think with firmware updates. Panasonic are good and reliable, which part of the Blu-ray player are you using? I have two players the Oppo 203 and the Panasonic ub400 now and both are as good as each other picture wise. Just trying to save you some money if possible. Forget that comment I would probably still go with the Oppo 203.

That was, ultimately, my plan but then the X800 starts behaving itself...... dohh!

..switching HDMI control back on? If it wobbled again following that, you would be able to switch back and thereby satisfy yourself that there is nothing 'wrong' with your actual set.

Yes, I realised this but didn't want to tempt fate. ;-)

Will have to do it though just to see.

D

Deleted member 2457

buzz_lightclick said:
gel said:
Hi BB, I did return it but then I bought my mum and dad an Oled TV, so then I thought they need a 4K Blu-ray player too, so I bought it again for £25 more! Doh. But my mum and dad ended are paying for both, so I didn’t pay anything, but can still enjoy them in the second lounge.

That’s a result, you have more money available for your next upgrade then! *good*
thumbs_up.png

ROB2009

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
With the reported problems on here, I went for the X700. I don’t watch that many films so will do for now, faultless so far and can always upgrade later.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
In defence of the X800...

We've got two: one downstairs in the sitting room and another upstairs in the movie room.

When I got the first one seven or eight months ago now, it locked up twice, I think, but with firmware updates installed shortly thereafter, neither has missed a beat.

Picture seems superb, although I confess there were no opportunities to do side by side comparisons with any of the competitors. But at the price we paid ($150 plus tax) I have absolutely no complaints.

Sound seems fine too. If there's a limitation in either of our setups it will be the modest Yamaha speakers used.

Build is distinctly better than any of the Samsungs, and probably as good as the Panasonics. Remote is good enough: load, play, fast forward, rewind, etc. - what more do you need? Two things that do irk me are 1 the full width loading flap on the front and 2 that it only has a power and a play button on the outside. You need the remote, therefore, and if its gone down the back of the sofa you're Donald Ducked.

TRENDING THREADS