Sony STR-DN1040. HD-DCS (dynamic or theater?)

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi

got my home cinema setup now but dont know which sound mode is best for watching films, theater or dynamic on the HD-DCS mode? i used to use dynamic but now use theater. just want best sound quality and i assume studio is for music but for music i use A.F.D auto

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
I usually just use Dolby Digital if it's available off air from Sky or Freesat for example, Dolby TruHD from Blu ray...other than that just use whichever setting sounds best to you.

wolf7howl

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Presumably, you went through the autoset-up to get the distances and balancing right. I got my sony/dali combination some months before replacing my CRT so could not access the on screen menus. What a huge improvement!

I am a big fan of the source direct. It may not be as overwhelming as some of the processing modes, but I find it to be a cleaner sound and well balanced between dialogue and surround effects particularly for films (let all those sound crew in the film credits have their work properly appreciated). It allows for a greater degree of subtlety and detail. If you don't care about that, just go for the loudest version.

Using the processor modes - I find the Theatre setting with HD-DCS is fine for TV, though I have used the PLII in movie mode and music mode quite happily. It is very much a suck-it-and-see exercise depending on the broadcast.

wolf7howl

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Presumably, you went through the autoset-up to get the distances and balancing right. I got my sony/dali combination some months before replacing my CRT so could not access the on screen menus. What a huge improvement!

I am a big fan of the source direct. It may not be as overwhelming as some of the processing modes, but I find it to be a cleaner sound and well balanced between dialogue and surround effects particularly for films (let all those sound crew in the film credits have their work properly appreciated). It allows for a greater degree of subtlety and detail. If you don't care about that, just go for the loudest version.

Using the processor modes - I find the Theatre setting with HD-DCS is fine for TV, though I have used the PLII in movie mode and music mode quite happily. It is very much a suck-it-and-see exercise depending on the broadcast.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts