SONY STR-DN 1080 Or DENON AVC-X3700H OR MARANTZ 6015

Joshi

Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
Hi experts, currently I have a Sony STR 1070 and I want to upgrade to either one of these receivers I mentioned above. Reason being Dolby Atmos and better sound.

I am very incline to Sony 1080 as WHAT HIFI till 2020 is stil raving about it.

So please let me know your thoughts as currently in Australia we still have stock for SONY STR 1080.

Thanks heaps guys!

Joshi

Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
Yes I am planning to buy them along the receiver. I am looking at Kef q5a and BTW, what do you think of YAMAHA Receiver RX-A4A( the latest model)?

Thanks heaps!

Yamaha RX A4A belongs to its Aventage lineup. I haven't heard this model as it's very new to the market. But if it's like any of the previous generation Aventage series AVRs, it will be excellent. I preferred Yamaha to Sony AVRs when I demoed AVRs few years ago.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Out of those 3 (Sony, Denon & Marantz) - The Sony will lag quite a way behind. It's also an old receiver. For example Denon has replaced their 2000 and 3000 receivers twice since Sony brought out the 1080.

The Sony will also be a lot cheaper.

I guess it depends whether or not you are wanting more of the latest features like HDMI 2.1 and eARC etc.

I read on another forum some following points on the Sony:

Do a bit of reading in the Sony STR DN1080 thread and you'll see it does have some issues.

I have one, it sounds great, however I wouldn't buy another if it went phut.

1/ The GUI is slow
2/ As above, it's old. Denon have replaced their similar model twice already in the same time the Sony has been out.
3/ DTS-X and Neural-X don't work with overhead speakers, there's no reason for this as all the competition do it, but Sony refuse to address it as "it's not in the specs for DTS-X".
It's a simple firmware fix, but no, they won't do it. They won't be getting my money on my next AVR.

I've not heard any of the new Yamaha receivers and What Hi-Fi have recently reviewed the £899, 2A model giving it 4 stars. The 4A model that you mention is a few rungs up the ladder from the 1080.

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Hi experts, currently I have a Sony STR 1070 and I want to upgrade to either one of these receivers I mentioned above. Reason being Dolby Atmos and better sound.

I am very incline to Sony 1080 as WHAT HIFI till 2020 is stil raving about it.

So please let me know your thoughts as currently in Australia we still have stock for SONY STR 1080.

Thanks heaps guys!
If you can, even if it costs money, get an in-home evaluation. A while back I bought a Denon 3600 because it was a What Hi-Fi award winner and everyone was raving about it. With my speakers, it was OK with movies but horrible with music. It was difficult to make it through a whole album because it was so fatiguing. So made the two hour drive I should have done in the first place and went and listened to another one in a demo room. Same problem. But it was probably listening at home that gave me enough time to find that out.

I have no idea how other people live with the 3600. Maybe my ears are just particularly sensitive to some frequencies. Anyway, thankfully, Richer Sounds over here was willing to swap it out and I vastly overspent on a refurb Yamaha 3080 which I love to bits.

To bookend this ramble, even if it costs money, get an in-home evaluation.

[Edited to add: the track that showed the problem on the 3600 most was Pink Floyd - Louder Than Words -- the high notes were shrill as hell on my speakers, a bit better in RS through some Kef LS50s but shrill on headphones so it's something about the 3600. No probs with my previous amp or current. Track is here for anyone who wants to try it:
View: https://youtu.be/Ezc4HdLGxg4
]

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts