Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone on here could help me. I have a sony str-dg820 av amp with a 7.1 surround sound set up. I bought the set up for movies and gaming. I have 2x ss-f6000 floor standing speakers, a kef center speaker 4 x ss-b1000 shelf speakers and a sony saw2500 subwoofer. I was really happy with it, but as i started to get back into listening to music more so the gaming etc i feel the stereo sound from it is quite below par compared to other sets ups. I know from reading on here that i shouldnt think to compare the sound from a stereo amp to an av amp when listening to music.

I have read about using pre outs on amps to connect another power amp/stereo amp to power the front speakers and increase the sound quality.

on the website below its states on the features list that my amp has two pre outs

http://www.blu-ray.com/Sony-STR-DG820/14006/

But on the back of the amp the only out that i can see that it might be is under the sacd/cd out on the bottom left of that back. but it doesnt state pre out anywhere.

Im just wondering if anyone could confirm or deny that my amp has any preouts- and if not is there any other options for me to acheive my goal - better stereo sound from my av amp?

cheers everyone.

Dave

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
after a quick look at the online manual for your amp, it appears that there are no pre-outs on your amp, the output sockets you mention are for connection to a recording device (cd recorder, tape deck etc).

The only thing I can suggest to you in your quest for better stereo is to replace the front speakers for a better pair, maybe something from KEF like your centre speaker.

*music2*

macdiddy said:
after a quick look at the online manual for your amp, it appears that there are no pre-outs on your amp, the output sockets you mention are for connection to a recording device (cd recorder, tape deck etc).

The only thing I can suggest to you in your quest for better stereo is to replace the front speakers for a better pair, maybe something from KEF like your centre speaker.

*music2*

Thanks Mcdiddy for clarifying that for me.

I will start looking into that option.

Samd said:
Following link from Sony at the 2nd section shows pre-out only for subwoofer.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-specs/STR-DG820/list

There are people, I'm sure, who will not support what I have done which was to buy an auto-switching switch (!) which connects 2 amps to one set of speakers. Works brilliantly for me.

cheers Samd

I came across an article suggesting something like this but I didnt know what brand of switch was reliable to use. what brand switch are you using. is there much risk of both amps firing the speakers at the same time could be something i will look into as well.

Samd

Not sure what country you are in but got mine from StoneAudio in Dorset - see link below - 4th item down. The switch cannot 'feed' 2 amps at the same time so no worry about blowing speakers. I have mine with the 'at rest' position connecting Amp A (AVR) which I use more frequently than my stereo amp. Turn on the stereo amp and it immediately connects with a 20 second delay (user selectable) before reverting to Amp A once the stereo amp (B) has ceased sending signal.

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?search=speaker+switch&page=2&searchmode=and&searchrange=none

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I can't see why you can't use the line outs supposed to feed a cassette deck or VCR or whatever to feed into the RCA inputs of a "proper stereo" amplifier (or pre-amplifier mated with a separate power amplifier, of course) for the front left and right channels, presuming the receiver filters the output down to 2-channel stereo.

The output voltage should be zero to three volts, the same as you get playing from a cassette deck, CD player, etc.

I would check with the manual and / or manufacturer, or even get a mate who knows how to use a multimeter to confirm this before proceeding though.

You also need to set your receiver up so it's sending volts to these outputs all of the time. Some do so all of the time anyway, some don't.

And please, if I am talking ball-cocks as usual, someone please correct me before David blows up anything!

TRENDING THREADS