Sony STR DA 1200ES with Jamo A102 HCS 5/KEF KHT 1005 any good?

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
I have a budget of £600 for a home cinema system. Is the Sony STR DA 1200ES with Jamo A102 HCS 5/KEF KHT 1005 any good? Or would you recommend something else?

A

Anonymous

If you went to richersounds you could get the sony amp and kef speakers for £450, I asked my local richersounds today about the Sony, he recommended the Onkyo Tx-SR505, currently the same price as the sony, although the sony has been discounted.

For an extra £50 you could go for the KEF KHT 2005.2 from play.com. I heard this setup the other week at my girlfriends parents house. Impressive, absolutly Huge sound, although his setting up of the kit wasn't great, the front 3 speakers were all on the TV stand and the rears were on the floor, but its a package im very very tempted with!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I don't know about the Onkyo - although it's bigger brother was the only receiver which outscored the Sony last year - and this was at the original rrp range of £400. Therefore I would be surprised if the entry level Onkyo would be much if at all better than the 1200ES. It definitely isn't as nice looking!

A

Anonymous

Just so as your clear i meant an extra £50 above your £600 budget for the KHT 2005.2 and Sony.

A

Anonymous

I hear what you are saying with the Onkyo and Sony, i was surprised too. He did say it wasn't as well built or look as good, but he would pick it on performance. As with everything give it a try, if you like it buy it.

A

Anonymous

It probably will later this year, just like everything else! I don't get to hear all that many surround setups, but the KEF KHT 2005.5 and Sony STR DA 1200es was amazing and for £650 (excluding cables ect) I thought was good value. They would be a big step up from the 1005's and the amp can handle it.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Seriously, go with the Jamos. If you are disappointed (you won't be), you can blame me! They look far classier than the Kefs and if WHF say they are the best style package under £500 and you can get them for £200ish, it really is a no brainer.

A

Anonymous

This combo is one I've been looking at also (overnight!) but my, the Sony receiver is a bit ugly - is there an alternative receiver that's not so...bulky as this around?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The Denon AVR1508 is decent - you can get it for about £230 and it does all that the Sony does at 70w per channel instead of 100w. You will never need that much welly anyway. It is a lot smaller and lighter too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts