Sony pays 150 EUR for HD DVD Player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=33955

Very interesting development. Also note this comment from a BD insider so it looks like it maybe actually happening.

Maxpower1987;552040 said:
I heard about them implementing a similar move in GB and Eire, but the player must be locally purchased (i.e. you can't get a $99 player and get £100 credit), not sure whether they will go through with it though, it could prove to be quite costly as the UK install base of HD DVD is higher than it is on the continent.

nads

interesting Idea but would not have any interest to me as it would not even cover the cost of the discs. I would keep the HD DVD player and still be able to use the discs.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Bullseye"]Also note this comment from a BD insider[/quote]

Don't read too much into that 'insider', as s/he's also a Finance Insider, a Compression Engineer Insider, a Sigma Designs Insider...

nads

Blu-ray news
Sony Offers Blu-ray Rebate to German HD DVD Owners
Posted January 29, 2008 by Josh
In the latest advertisement from German retailer Saturn, Sony is offering 150 Euros off the purchase of a Sony BDP-S300 when current HD DVD owners turn in their used players. This is an outstanding deal for those high definition fans in Germany who would otherwise have been left with a very expensive paperweight. Currently this offer is only available in Germany.
Admittedly, the Sony BDP-S300 is more expensive in Germany at 499 Euros ($737), so this offer brings the player down to a more familiar price of around $500. Even so, I'm sure there are plenty of people in US who would love to take advantage of a similar deal. Unfortunately for them, HD DVD adoption is much higher in the US, meaning a similar plan here would cost Sony hundreds of millions of dollars to execute. In other words, don't hold your breath.

Yea right just like the early BR players. now if they were going to exchange the discs as well then it would be of some use.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts