sony mini v/s cambridge

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I wanted to purchase a music system. Having studied various reviews from What HI Fi I opted for cambridge A340 +C340 +MS 902i. But the combination really shocked me because the quality of the music I received from it was so depressive that I could not express in words. Rather my Sony mini hi fi system is producing sweet and melodious music in comparion to above chosen class. Even the bass is great when compared the two. I want to know why the independent hi fi is producing the music output at lower level. Rather it shuld be much better than the mini costing four times below the cost of above combination.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi there

You've really got me baffled on this one. The separates components you've chosen are all excellent, and should blow any mini system out of the water. Are you sure you've set everything up correctly? And how have you positioned the speakers in the room? Are the speakers on proper stands? And what cables/interconnects are you using?

A

Anonymous

If the bass is really poor - have you got the speaker cables connected the same way around for each speaker? I.e. + to + on each (usually red to red).

A

Anonymous

Hi Mr. Andy. I,too, was baffled the same way you are, for the performance of the system. But the sony performed well on the same tracks. Why! I dont know. I love listening music but not a good analyst of sound nor an expert in this field. May be my ears mistaken for the response i received from both the systems. I have pioneer system in my car and sony system in the other but the sound I like most and what suits to my ears the best is the outcome from the sony. Here, I am to explain a few things that I like listening Indian classic mussic which is less on beats and instuments but more on vocals. Is this be the reason behind all episode. May be the sonic presentation with instuments and beats be goods in cam. combination. interconnect is that of cambridge and speaker wire is imported (good quality)one provided by the dealer. Speaker are not on stands. well I think these things are considerable to improve the output but not the sole factor to affect the voice of system to this effect otherwise sony could not have delivered this much being very cheap one i.e. MHC GNZ 333D.

A

Anonymous

DO NOT WORRY - I HAD THE SAME SITUATION! It's your brain's fault. Because you've been used to listening to the Sony Mini for along time (I had a JVC mini) your ears won't like the new sound. They will think it's too harsh and bright and lacking in musicallity - now all you have to do is give it time - another thing to improve the sound (and I'm talking from experience here) is to buy an old amplifier such as a JVC Super class-a or an old Pioneer/ Marantz because these are half way between your mini and your cambridge. They will offer a better quality sound but not at the expensive of musicallity, so after a while of listening to one of those your brain (or ears-brain) will adjust and then you can switch back-over to your Cambridge!

I CAN explain what it sounds like - it's as if you can't get involved in the music - like it's just notes rather than music. I know it - and I bet you think the bass is too tight and too thumpy compared to the Sony which had more musical bass that droned more.

I hope this solves your issue, please reply because it's good to tell somebody that all is not lost!

A

Anonymous

Hi Hughes. You have really got the point. The whole gist lies in the word "MUSICALITY." Sony delivers the musicality what lacks in the cambridge at all. Therefore my ears accepts the sound of Sony readily. The bass is really sweet and musical in comparison of tight bass of the cam. Do you want to say that the cambridge delivers better sound quality and not the musicality? But how can one enjoy better sound quality sans musicality? As you suggest that I am not habitual to listening my new system and I have to spend my time listening the cambridge to adjust my ears to the new system. But how can one go for sound without musicality. What I like is melody of sony. Every note of vocal, instument and beats comes straight to my ears drowning me deep in the sweetness of its melody. Hope you will be able to correct me in my illusions or disbeliefs regarding my new set.

A

Anonymous

Right, sorry for the late reply...I was fully on the Hi-Fi forum! Right, first step...make sure you HAVE the covers on over the speakers...this will cut out some of the harsh treble. Two, make sure it's fully run in! It will take about 50 hours for it to all calm down and stop being all "un-natural". Three, for the hell of it, stick your Sony speakers on the Cambridge amplifier (they will work) for a while and you will notice the sound will be a bit calmer and more "musical". Four, move the speakers CLOSER to the wall to make the bass a bit more boomy rather than...what is the word....dry. Five, fiddle with the bass/treble settings a bit - perhaps bring the treble down for a while.

And If that doesn't work there is a way to rectify the problem. Many people will dissagree because of the slight reduction in quality, but buy yourself an old JVC amplifier such as the A-X400 or A-X50 or similar. I'm talking 80s (not before, not after) off ebay for around £50. You WIll like it. It's what I did after coming from my JVC mi-di setup and after four months now I'm very pleased with my current setup because it sounds much more musical now! The thing with the good old JVCs are that they are very soft in comparison but still have more muscle than the Cambridge! Wiered huh? They are very well built also so will last many years!

Please tell me if any of the previous worked, and if you are going to pot for a JVC PLEASE inform me which model 'cause I know quite alot about them now and I can advise you on your purchase. For now, copy and paste the following link...this is the one I bought back four months ago...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330194881257

All the best!

A

Anonymous

I used to feel a little unimpressed at my new Q acoustics 1050 speakers. all I did was bring my old sony mini speakers back and listened to the diffference using the A+B speakers switch. The old sonys were really lacking in the treble range, despite being a three way set up. I must admit the Q acoustics did take some time to run in, and they need to be turned up loud. but i love em now. They are pretty good at bhangra too.

A

Anonymous

Three way set up...my awful JVCs are four! Dear, dear, dear what were they thinking!

A

Anonymous

I fully understand what you mean... and I truely believe that if you're used to listening to the artificially enhanced sound of a mini system (as I was with my 90s Awia) you need a powerful amp and some speakers capeable of delivering some reasonable clout to satisify your ears.

The mini delivers (what you think is) the full scope of the music throughout the volume range. But once you listen to a decent seperates setup then go back to the mini you realise that the mini doesnt produce anything like as big a sound... a narrow sound stage and no real definition.

I was bitterly dissapointed with my first seperates setup and had to research and work at it to get the sound I now like.

A

Anonymous

Same is the case here. I would like to know the choise of your first seperates and how were you disappointed? further how did you enriched the system to produce the music to your satisfaction? What compilation of system do you have presently?

A

Anonymous

One thing that could be throwing your system off is the music itself, the older classic Indian music you listen too may not be recorded to a great standard. In this case all the seps system will do is expose this while the Sony mini system and the cd player in your car will be far better at covering up these deficiencies.

Other than that the system may need time to break in and for your ears to start appreciating it!

That said some people just struggle to hear why a decent audiophile set up is better, in which case it isnt better for them!

A

Anonymous

Can anyone tell me why i cannot seem to add spaces in my posts!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts