Sony KDL32W5810 - totally unreliable

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I bought a Sony KDL32W5810 in late October 2009. It didn't function properly on Freesat and Sony got a local repair agent to resolve the software issue (I was without a TV for 2 weeks). The set operated OK for a few weeks but the Freesat failed again and the retailer replaced the set in mid December. The second set worked well for a while but suddenly in early March it failed - it came on at very high volume, no picture, the remote couldn't control it, the set controls had no effect and the only thing I could do was to switch it off at the wall socket. The retailer replaced it in mid March. Set number three has just failed today with this same fault.

Contacting Sony is a difficult and frustrating task and you never get beyond a young person in their call centre. On the evidence of this I have to say Sony products are absolutely hopeless and their aftersales is worse. I should have had some real concern from them by now. The retailer will probably replace it yet again but should I take another KDL 32W5810? (The built in Freesat was a selling point and it also gave HD access)

Have Sony got a problem with these sets that they're not admitting to?

My advice - steer well clear of Sony.

A

Anonymous

Just get it replaced with the new EX range....Sony sets are good for what they offer and the price.

Customer service is probably as you say.

A

Anonymous

I've been battling with a now fairly unresponsive retailer who are baulking at replacing yet again as they feel it's something happening in my home and not the set.

I have however managed to get the attention of Sony at a more interested level and they have been looking into it. Their conclusion is it's some kind of infra red interference that's corrupting the software (I had to provide a drawing of where the TV is situated and all electrical etc sources) with the most likely a PIR intruder detector close to the set. The TV is being collected by a repair agent on Wed 28 (26 days since it went wrong!) and will have all the software reset including the latest upgrades that allegedly now have a resistance to spurious IR sources.

I hope this solves the problem but a bizarre situation that a Sony TV is so vulnerable to IR from a device that is designed to safeguard it from theft.

A

Anonymous

Mike Cowie:
I hope this solves the problem but a bizarre situation that a Sony TV is so vulnerable to IR from a device that is designed to safeguard it from theft.

Bad luck certainly, but barely foreseeable by Sony! I find it more bizarre that a manufacturer of equipment designed to protect hi-fi equipment would build something that interfered with it.

I'm not surprised your complaints have met with bemusement, and I'm quite impressed that they've diagnosed the problem as being an environmental issue rather than a product issue.

A

Anonymous

I can barely believe it but we have experienced precisely the same problem as you Mike with our Sony KDL-32W5810! We bought the set in January 2010 and by June of that year it had developed peculiar faults so sent for repair via Sony website. A few weeks later more faults occurred and again it went in for repair. We were without a set for 6 weeks in total! Since September 2010 we have had messages on screen warning us that the set was about to turn off due to power saving mode but all power saving/eco settings were turned to off. We learnt to live with this fault as it was intermittent, but then 2 days ago we experienced the same as you - blank screen/loud volume/ could only turn off via pulling the plug etc.

I have contacted Pixmania, (who we bought the set from), and Sony reporting all this. Of course Pixmania have tried to tell me it's Sony responsibility and I daresay Sony will say the same about Pixmania. I have hit them both with the Sale of Goods Act and am waiting for their responses.

I'm absolutely fuming, and although the set is out of its 12 month manufacturers warranty I am determined to get a full refund. I'm not sure a replacement "like for like" set would be advisable given your experience.

The set is clearly faulty, or at least that batch of sets were.

I wondered also how you got on in the end? I am convinced the fault has nothing to do with IR because we don't have a burglar alarm or any device that would interfer with the software.

I have contacted Sony and Pixmania to let them know that there are other customers out there who are having the same issues with that model of TV.

Regards

Jane

Ex Sony customer

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I searched online as my Sony TV 32 KDL 5810 has stopped working. I was watching it one day two weeks ago and the picture went. However, I had been having problems connecting to the Internet before that but had not realised it was the TV (thought it was faulty broadband).

Anyway the TV turns itself off and there is no picture just sound, intermittent sound. The TV had not allowed me to connect to my home network for some time and before the picture went, it could not update the firmware. I contacted Sony and had to give them my details several times before they responded.

They did not admit to this being a problem with this model and had to be chased up several times before offering to give me the name of a repair service.

I am totally disgusted as the TV is less than 4 years old but I should be grateful it lasted this long, based on other posts. Advice to anyone buying a new TV, steer well clear of Sony.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts