Sony Kdl-46ex723 Firmware upgrade Has caused problems with Hdmi control.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After purchasing a Sony kdl-46ex723 and kdl-32ex723 with both working faultlessly for the past few weeks, I had an onscreen message advising of a software upgrade for both tv's.

You cant really ignore this as it keeps appearing.

Since the software upgrade, there are issues from both tv's with hdmi control with other devices.

The 46" now is really random with control from the yamaha rxv-1067, reporting communication errors when connecting to av sound, and now the tv does not switch the amp on. (although off still works)!!!!

Both have been factory reset, and so has the receiver but cannot find a solution.

The 32" now switches on automatically with the blu ray etc even though ive set it not to...

Really fustrating as everything was ok, I see part of the software upgrade included a "home theatre widget" for sony kit, and can only assume this is causing the issues.

Has anyone had this or is aware?

I have emailed sony, and awaiting the "have you switched it off and on again response"

I had a kdl46w5500 previously and never had any problems with hdmi control with any kit i had.

To make things worse you cannot downgrade the firmware on sony Tv's (apparantly) so users beware!!!!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi pal

Sorry I cant help with your post but I do have a question if I may?

I notice you 'had' a W5500 and now have a an EX723

Was there much of a difference between the 2 quality wise? Was it worth buying the 723 for you? (Aside from the technical issue above)

A

Anonymous

Yes mate...the difference in picture quality is imense....being LED an all.....and theve almost fixed the backlight issues!!!!!!!!!!!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Do you calibrate your tvs with a sensor?

Reason im asking is because if you dont then there might not be much difference to me

My 46W5500 doesnt have backlight issues (Well top right you can just about see but you have to really look at it to notice it)

Cheers :)

A

Anonymous

I'm thinking you may have been lucky with the backlight issues, was only noticable in a dark room, but with blu ray being in the different ratio, with the black bars top and bottom, i could see the backlight.

It was worse on a w4500. (that had clouding rather than just backlight shinning in from the corners).

i also tried the 40" versions and they were as bad.

Anyhow, i dont use sensors to calibrate my kit, bit can assure you that the blacks and the white are totally different on the Led backlit set.

and I am sure they dim the leds, so blacks really are strong.

Hope this helps.

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Nice to know as im thinking of biting the bullet myself from a 46 w5500 to the ex723 or if they come down a little more in the next 6wks or so,i might try for the nx723.I did'nt have the backlight problem on my 46w5 either,at all.With the prices tumbling as fast as they seem to be maybe now or soon is a good time to go 3D!

rock15

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
hi guys , can u tell me abit more about backlight problems,with the sonys as i am seriously thinking about getting a 46 sony but dont know which one either the 803 /713 /723 is the sd picture that good ,thanks

A

Anonymous

you only really see the backlight from the corners in 3d mode...ie when they crank the backlight up full.

the set really is excellent with blacks and white, so the step up from the w5500 is immense.

also the sound, although not great, really is better than the new samsungs.

i think they have improved the 3d as well with the firmware updates.

no regrets with set set at all, just wish they would sort out the "communication errors" with the yamaha amp.

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Until Sony get back to,if you leave HDMI control off,does the software upgrade notice stop normal viewing?Maybe you could dig out an old optical or co-ax until Sony sort out your dilemma.Good luck mate....

A

Anonymous

Sony replied that they are not aware of any issues.

advised me to turn it off, not really a suitable solution.

if i do disable the hdmi control on the Tv, and not the other units as well, the Tv will still switch on from the blu ray player. so its definaitely isnt working as it should.

Sony then advised me to diasble it on the blu ray as well.....

the fact that it was all ok until there upgrade, is really fustrating.

I have fed the info back to the retailer, who advise they will also contact sony and hopefully they will sort the issue.

Incidently, the TV hdmi control does operate the oppo blu ray ok with play and stop functions etc, it seems to be more of a problem with the yamaha amp. (rxv1067). again this was ok before the software upgrade, and was fine with the kdl-46w5500.

A

Anonymous

Sony replied that they are not aware of any issues.

advised me to turn it off, not really a suitable solution.

if i do disable the hdmi control on the Tv, and not the other units as well, the Tv will still switch on from the blu ray player. so its definaitely isnt working as it should.

Sony then advised me to diasble it on the blu ray as well.....

the fact that it was all ok until there upgrade, is really fustrating.

I have fed the info back to the retailer, who advise they will also contact sony and hopefully they will sort the issue.

Incidently, the TV hdmi control does operate the oppo blu ray ok with play and stop functions etc, it seems to be more of a problem with the yamaha amp. (rxv1067). again this was ok before the software upgrade, and was fine with the kdl-46w5500.

A

Anonymous

Hi

My LX 903 updated the other day

I just looked in my HDMI settings and auto was off (it was set to on before the update)

I put mine back on and auto off and on are working into my Pioneer AV amp

Hope this may help

A

Anonymous

this is finally reolved by me......

it appears the problem is having 2 sony tv's connected on the same data line.....ie through a 4x hdmi distributor (so i can get sky hd also upstairs).

its fine with samsung and panasonic, and ok with both sony tv's, but if i update the software on the second sony tv upstairs, it breaks the hdmi control between the downstairs sony set and the hifi.

so i update the sets without them being connected via hdmi, reset everything, then all is well...until the next update!!!!!!!!!!!!!

martinloach

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
hi pal sony remotes are designed to work idealy with any other sony product, your recent upgrade was also to enable your ex723 to work wifi direct with your tv, this means that any wifi product you have will connect to your tv without the use of a wirless link , smart phone, printer, pc etc could be why you having conflicting info, if you have smart phone try down loading remote media app free and qriocity app, and directly sync to your tv ince firmware upgrade downloaded , let me know how you go on

cheers mart

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
It's also worth noting that whenever a software/firmware update is performed that the tv will display the message to tell you that some functions/setting have changed.so its always worth looking to see what setting have changed,this has happened to my kdl40hx803.:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts