Sony KDL 40w4000

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys

Just need some independant advice about the Sony, went to Richer Sounds at the weekend to buy one of these after reading all the rave reviews everywhere only to be told that it's not that good for watching normal telly through sky (SD). Dont use it for gaming but was intending to update whole system with new blue ray etc. Vast majority of watching however will be Sky SD.

Is this the right telly for this application if not what other alternatives should I be looking at? Richer Sounds were recommending a Panasonic plasma but not a HD one. 40inch is really the biggest I can go for.

Thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

stretch it to 42 inch and get a full HD panasonic plasma mate. i am watching freeview only at the moment on my new set and its great. Im a complete plasma fan now! You wont regret it.

A

Anonymous

I have the w4000 and am very happy with it. I spent ages testing it against
Samsung and Panasonic screens, and opted for it for a number of reasons:

1.) HD picture is stunning via Sky HD and Blu-ray, in my eyes better than the
Panasonic and Samsung new screens.

2.) One of the best screens for gaming as virtually no lag and no fear of
screen burn, plus cool PS3 style menu.

3.) Accepts 1080p via VGA, perfect for Multimedia PC.

4.) Looks very good out of the box, I would stick to Standard mode during day
and Cinema during night with either warm 1 or warm 2 settings.

5.) Much better power usage. When properly calibrated it consumes around 25%
of the power of the Panasonic Plasma screens!

I would say that the SD is poor when compared with the amazing HD picture,
but no where near as bad as people make out. It is still very watchable, and it
I mainly badly encoded channels (ITV football!) that look very bad.

I would say that no 1080p screen is great with SD from what I saw, and would
argue that if you primarily will be watching SD to opt for HD ready rather than
full HD set. The Panasonic 37PX80 was the best set I saw for SD picture, and an
absolute bargain if you can find one.

Any other questions you have about the w4000 just let me know.

A

Anonymous

I've had one for about 3 weeks now, and I'm extremely happy with it. After a bit of fiddling with the picture settings the SD picture over sky or freeview is perfectly acceptable to me (sitting a little over 2 metres away) and I am pretty piccy about picture quality. If you sit closer than that, you will probably notice artifacts though on certain channels.

SD quality probably will look better on a HD ready plasma tv due to the lower resolution, but then you won't be getting the full impact when you watch Blu-ray films. Which would be a shame as upscaled DVDs and Blu-ray movies do look absolutely fantastic.

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys.

Thanks for taking the time to reply it's pretty daunting trying to pick the right telly these days which is why I went for the sony after the rave reviews, think I will just go for it now and ignore any further advice, as I'm sitting about 4mtrs away or more should get away with it and if not it will give me the excuse to get sky hd!!

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Ive the Samsung le40f86 and thought it was great at the time having previously seen in Comet, it was some time before i order online because when the model came out it did look great against the sonys, but over the year i think sony has stepped up a gear and now their lastest crop imo offers much more than the samsungs. Ive seen this model and its wonderful a good choice to go for especially good with bluray and gaming.

A

Anonymous

Digital Direct have this telly on sale for £780 (+£35 carraige). I'm planning on perhaps getting this model for myself and I've heard very good things about it. Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Having seen this device in action in a John Lewis store, I can say its probably one of the best LCD TV's on the market. Independent testing also agrees. The reason is it's ability to display blacks and whites on a par with plasma TV's which have always thrashed LCD in this area (until now).

However, it's quite difficult for most people to see the difference between 720p and 1080p on any screen less than 42 inches, so you really need to compare this device with a panasonic TH37PX80 plasma, preferable placed next to each other with the same input. I have the Panasonic myself, and it is superb and much cheaper than the Sony. Also don't be fooled by the difference in brightness when comparing a plasma with an LCD. It's image quality that matters.

Finally viewing angle. Even with this Sony display (which is excellent) as you deviate from straight ahead, the picture quality will visible deteriorate quite quickly. If there are only two people viewing it then this is not an issue, but if there are four or five viewers spread around a room, you can expect a lot of competition for the best seat.

And for the doubters amongst you, view this excellent Sony next to the very pricey 42 inch Pioneer plasma (which is only 720p) and you will see a 720p image that is better than a very good LCD at 1080p.

From Dixons you can buy the Panny for £590 delivered (special offer), and no I do not work for them or any related company.

KP

A

Anonymous

I spent days and days looking at TVs, specifically the Sony, PZ85 and PX80, i wasn't that bothered about 100hz or 50hz, got the guy in Comet to put them through Sky one by one, for SD i felt that the 42PX80 was the better TV, something just didn't look right with the 85 but best advice i was given was to do this test yourself. I think DVDs etc will look great on either, am getting Sky HD soon so hoping that will look even better

A

Anonymous

Can someone please tell me if there is a massive difference in quality between this and the 40" v series. I plan on getting either one but i can get the v for 615 where as the w is 815. I will be using blu ray and games alot so i was just wondering on the picture differences????

A

Anonymous

Ok i just went to my local sony shop and checked out the w4000 and v4000 (both showing the same hd picture). Apart from the exterior i could see no difference. Could the whf team back me up or am i just seeing things. If they are the same i wouldn't mind saving the extra money on the v series.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts