My Sony LCD - is it finished?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
My Sony KDL 40w4500, after 9ish years seems to be kaput.

The picture has some banding of different brightness across the screen, and there is a ghosting of the same image overlayed on the right side. See the linked photo: www.ibb.co/jGg635

(it was my kids watching Peppa, honest...)

The problem resolves itself about 98% when the screen has been on for about 10-15 minutes, so it's barely noticeable then.

Whilst that's a short term solution long-term I'd like to either have it cheaply repaired or upgrade. I had planned to wait until OLEDs got closer to the £1k mark, but that may take a while as prices seem to be going up, not down.

Thoughts? thanks

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
you could try searching for an engineer online and see if its possible to repair but after 9 years the chances of getting parts for it could be difficult and expensive.

or Richer sounds have new 40in tvs starting from £250, could be time to treat yourself.

*music2*

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
yeah, that's what I thought. My wife is away for a few days on business and she left a list of things to do, stuck to the fridge.

Item 7 was "Don't buy a new TV".

I think I'll get an LG OLED B6 for £1700....

davemartin01

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Oddly enough my 9 year old Sony KDL 46W4000 has had a red line down the left side of the screen that also disappears after about 20 mins! For us its time for a new tv! Ive got my eye on the Samsung Q7C. A huge selling point for us is that we will wall mount and that connect box is a huge plus. Its an expensive set but will be on the wall for many years so will get its use.

D

Deleted member 2457

Big Aura said:
yeah, that's what I thought. My wife is away for a few days on business and she left a list of things to do, stuck to the fridge.

LG Oled B6 £1500 at Currys with a 5 year warranty.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
Big Aura said:

thanks Gel, but it's coming up as £1599 at Currys?

My wife has a 5% discount at John Lewis, so ideally would have them price match then get the discount (once she gives me her blessing to upgrade!).

D

Deleted member 2457

Big Aura said:
gel said:
Big Aura said:

thanks Gel, but it's coming up as £1599 at Currys?

My wife has a 5% discount at John Lewis, so ideally would have them price match then get the discount (once she gives me her blessing to upgrade!).
There was a 100 off code at Currys too but I now believe it finished yesterday. The John Lewis deal sounds good. Just noticed LG are offering bundles now with their TVs are you get a free 4k Blu-ray player too:

http://www.lg.com/uk/bundle

D

Deleted member 2457

The LG bundle says see a list of participating retailers below on the LG link but I can't find it, I imagine it includes John Lewis and Currys.

D

Deleted member 2457

Just found this which says official retailers include:

https://www.lg.com/uk/products/wtb?modelId=MD05600895

D

Deleted member 2457

Be careful they might put the price up soon because of the free 4K Blu-ray player bundle deal.

D

Deleted member 2457

John Lewis are price matching Currys already at £1600 plus your 5 per cent discount plus the free 4k Blu ray player bundle.

https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-oled55b6v-oled-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-55-with-freeview-hd-freesat-hd-harman-kardon-sound-blade-slim-design-uhd-premium/p2761595

I would phone LG and see who are included in the bundle Oled deal and which retailers. Because it says it starts on the 26th April.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
nice work, gel!

Currently, I have a Samsung Freesat HD PVR, but this screen has a built in Freesat HD tuner and FreeviewHD tuner. Presume it's one of each.

My PVR feeds into my Denon 3312 AVR and then to the TV. I assume I can connect the TV to the AVR to process sound only in the AVR, and use the (more modern) picture processing in the TV?

Does anyone know how recording works (might get rid of the samsung PVR) - do I simply use the EPG built-in to the TV and connect a dumb (unpowered) external Hard Drive via USB to the TV?

thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts