Sony KDL-40EX503 input lag?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Does anyone have any opinion/information on how the input lag is for the Sony KDL-40EX503 when using the Wii or the PS3? I'm struggling to find any solid info as the reviews I have read have strangely left out this info!

I'm deciding if this or the 42" Panasonic G20 is the one to go for and since I'd use it for a fair amount of gaming, input lag is an important issue for me.

Thanks!

DG

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I can't coment on the exact Sony model you refer to but from my experience I am yet to come accross any LCD that can beat a decent Plasma regarding input lag and I personally would go with the Panasonic.
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

Indeed. The FIL has the G20 and I just tried the Wii on it. No discernable lag, that was through the standard cables that come with the Wii so no component cables etc. Wasn't overly impressed with the picture though, I know that the Wii will never look good on such a big telly, but it was a bit blurry in both normal and game mode (I guess that picture quality would improve some with component cables). There was also some funny visual effects around the hand cursor, having never had much to do with plasma before I'm not sure if that is what people refer to as phosphor trails?

I have yet to pick up a HDMI cable so I cannot try my PS3 on the G20 yet.

Thing is, although the G20 may have a faster input time, the EX503 apparently has a better and sharper picture, therefore I would probably go with the 503 if the input times were acceptable....

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Er, how can you get "Phosphor Trails" on an LCD Televisor Machine? What you are seeing is the motion lag that so many LCD TVs are so notorious for... But not Plasma Televisors!

A

Anonymous

Eh?

I was using the Wii on the G20, which is a plasma and subsequently does have phosphor trails, though as I say I've no experience of these things and I'm only guessing the green glow following the wii hand cursor is what is classed as these trails. The rest of the hand was blurred which is the motion blurring but without any green glow.

A

Anonymous

Just saw that John Lewis are offering an extra £100 off for the EX503 if I trade in my old telly, that makes it £649 with a 5 year warranty. Bargain. If I could find out how the input lag is I'd buy one today!

A

Anonymous

Hi there, just joined to let you know my opinion.

I recently bought that very model from Hydro electric store in Scotland.

You really notice input lag on it. I have an old crt tv and clocked the difference as .06 of a second slower.(on game mode)

.08 on standard mode and .12 on cinema mode. The thing that really bites is that my old tv felt so much faster. I had a sony kdl37v4000, and for rock band it only had .02 of a delay to make it perfect.( I never clocked it next to crt tv, as I hadn't heard of/noticed input lag before) When you look at it written down it doesn't look like a lot, but think about it, thats .06 of a second after you let off the accelerator before it starts to slow down on screen, .06 of a second the car is farther round the corner than you see it. You have a handicap, basically.

The other thing that bites is that playing on standard mode(so you can actually use the motionflow 100hz smoother picture) lags so you can feel it, but looks SO good!!

I have an old sony davd220? sound system, and it can't calibrate for input lag, so if I watch movies on cinema mode on the tv, the speech doesn't join up with the lip movements(with the sound coming from the sound system.)

Sorry for rambling a bit, just thought I'd let you know.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
D.J.KRIME said:
I can't coment on the exact Sony model you refer to but from my experience I am yet to come accross any LCD that can beat a decent Plasma regarding input lag and I personally would go with the Panasonic.
emotion-11.gif

Samsung LE40C530 - 14ms input lag which blows away the latest panasonic plasmas for input lag (Which have gone entirely the other way). thats 14ms in every mode, not just game mode

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK said:
Samsung LE40C530 - 14ms input lag which blows away the latest panasonic plasmas for input lag (Which have gone entirely the other way). thats 14ms in every mode, not just game mode

Hi,

My first post here so "Hi" to everyone.

Can I ask about the source of this information?

EDITED BY MODS - please familiarise yourself with rules re linking to other sites.

TRENDING THREADS