Sony hi fi - turntable wont spin

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi Folks,

We were at the inlaws over the weekend and they sent back my wifes old sony midi hifi with us.. its got a turntable on top, tuner and twin tape decks.. yes i know its acient.. but its in pretty good condition.. they had it stores in the attic over the years.. she also had some records.. and after having to part with my Rega RP1 last week, i'd like to hook it up to my av receiver.. it does have stereo audio out, so that should be fine, i assume i just connect to the phono in on my denon 3310?

Now the thing is - the tuner works fine as does the tape decks.. but when i press the 'Phono' function button, the turntable hums but doesnt spin.. not sure how it works to be honest.. its possibly a 'direct drive' system? i dont want to spend money on getting anyway to look at it.. but would could likely be wrong ?

Also would the sound be anyway reasonable from it? The arm and stylus look very light.. but it would only be a stop gap till i could get the funds together for something better..

Failing a diy solution.. anyone any idea on what a repair might cost?

Cheers,
Mick

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Possibly some transit screws in place, preventing the platter from turning? Or, if it hasn't been used for ages maybe the main bearing has seized up?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Take the platter off. Could be a stuffed belt, if it's a belt drive. Also lubricate spindle

If it's a direct drive, take the platter off and lubricate, then check everything that's meant to turn, does

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi Lads, got it working! Took off the top and give it a bit of wd40 and spun it freehand a while.. then put it back together and after a slow start its working now..

One last thing though there is a surround left/right output on the back and i tried connecting this to the phono input on my denon 3310 and no joy at all, all i got was real crackly audio while the speakers from the record player was fine.

Should i be going for a different input on the denon? Also what would the volume and the surround knobs on the midi hifi need to be set to? Min/Max somewhere in between?

Cheers,
Mick

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
micks_address said:
Hi Lads, got it working! Took off the top and give it a bit of wd40 and spun it freehand a while.. then put it back together and after a slow start its working now.. One last thing though there is a surround left/right output on the back and i tried connecting this to the phono input on my denon 3310 and no joy at all, all i got was real crackly audio while the speakers from the record player was fine. Should i be going for a different input on the denon?

1) don't use the phono input, the Sony already has a phono stage in it, so you should use a normal input on the Denon but...

2) The "surround" outputs are presumably for use with rear-channel speakers (with a separate amp I guess), in which case there's unlikely to be any signal going to the outputs from the turntable, as it'll be stereo front L&R only.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks does that mean there's no way for me to get the sound of the turntable via my denon to my monitor audio speakers? the hifis speaker are connected to sping clip terminals..

i connected the surrounds to the cd input on the reciever and just got a loud hum..

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
bummer was hoping i'd be able to play them back via my speakers.. is there any way i could connect the speaker terminals on the hifi to the receiver?

Mick, I'm still not clear what outputs, if any, the Sony has. You mention a TT, tuner and tape deck. Is there an amp? Or is it an all-in-one?

Either way there will normally be a line-level output (maybe a 'tape out'), that would go, via a pair of normal phono to phono cables, to your AV receiver - into a line-level input. Then anything from the Sony - tape, radio or record - will play through your Denon and MAs.

Are you getting any sound from it at all? Does it work via headphones?

Last resort, connect the front pair of MAs direct to the Sony speaker terminals.

I hope that helps.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
hi, the only left/right output is a 'surround' output but it doesnt seem to work.. as the earlier poster said its probably for surround channels which is why i wouldnt get sound from the turntable. it does have a headphone out - so would i be able to get a headphone to phono adapter i could use? its the larger type headphone jack... also if i connect this to a line in on my denon.. what should i run the volume at from the sony?

A

Anonymous

Chances are it's belt driven and the belt has perished. The platter should be removable to check this, or removing the rubber mat will reveal holes in the platter to allow access to the motor pulley.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts