Sony built a UHD player to kill the Oppo

F

FunkyMonkey

Mischievous title says it all.

Why would I buy the Oppo when I can get a universal disk player that performs equally as well for less than half the price?

See the what hi fi review.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The audio prowess of the Sony is probably not in the same league as the oppo. They have compared it's audio playback to a marantz cd6005.

Though the Sony has similar format compatibility, the oppo seems to have a superior dac. However, the differences might be evened out if using a external dac.

But again the oppo comes with the best dac that ESS makes.

If you're using HDMI and your AV receiver to process sound, it won't matter which player you buy in terms of picture and sound quality. What you pay for is build quality and extra features. The Oppo for example has 7.1 channel analogue outs and a superior DAC (if you're using the player to process sound). It also has 2 HDMI ins (not just outs), so you can connect other devices to the Oppo (like Apple TV etc.). The Oppo 205 has even superior DACs and a separate headphone amplifier. Oh, and the Oppo supports Dolby Vision.

D

Deleted member 2457

I love my Oppo 203, its in a class of its own if you ask me. But the going consensus seems to be all 4k Blu ray players are the same, I do love having the HDR button on the Oppo remote, it shows me the difference if I am wondering if there is any and it's not always in the way you think, e.g. sometimes it's brighter, very bright, but clearer too and a more natural colour, some of the picture on some discs make it look duller but it looks a lot better than the Blu-ray picture when you compare, duller is probably not the right word, probably more natural again I would say.

abacus

The Sony has way more software features than the Oppo, however the Oppo’s hardware is a little more advanced than the Sony.

Are there performance differences?

1. It’s possible that the Oppo upscales is a little better than the Sony, so SD & HD may look better. (Although unless placed side by side I doubt if you could tell the difference)

2. The Sony has no analogue outs, so the quality of the sound will be determined by the external AV Receiver/DAC used, (You can safely ignore the supposed sound differences heard in the review as they were purely imaginary (This embarrassing reviewing is why a stopped my subscription to WHF) whereas the Oppo can bypass any DAC and use its own analogue outputs.

3. Long term the OPPO will probably be updated more than the Sony, so will probably have a better longevity. (I suspect Sony are on the fence with DV and will wait to see how it is accepted on their TVs before deciding whether to add it to their players)

4. Build will probably be a little better than the Sony.

For most users, the Oppo is an unnecessary expense over the Sony, however, for the niche market that requires the Oppo’s extra hardware features, users will be prepared to pay extra.

Bill

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I use an Oppo 105eu feeding the by-pass inputs of my AV32r. Keeps my Tags "on the road" in a post hdmi world. Excellent SQ and flexibility, but if I was using a newer AV receiver it would not be worth the trouble.

Minimum box count too. The Oppo is an excellent "Swiss Army Knife" for playing all sorts of material into older kit. For a while I was feeding it straight into a 5 channel power amp with good results.

F

FunkyMonkey

Seems like he Oppo is not for the common man. Not even for the common AV enthusiast. Purely for nich installation where you might need to do DAC in machine rather than processor or receiver.
Or for Dolby Vision which isn't really a thing yet and when it does become a thing it will be a box tick rather than of appreciable benefit. Still, if you gave me a choice, I would take Dolby Vision.

F

FunkyMonkey

bigboss said:
3 film discs announced so far with Dolby Vision I believe: Despicable Me, Resident Evil: Vendetta and Power Rangers.
I don't think any of those will benefit from Dolby Vision. I am not sure exactly what will.

manicm

bigboss said:
buzz_lightclick said:
Frans Callebaut said:
hello,

which is the best 4k player, oppo udp-205 or the new cambridge audio ?

kind regards,

frans callebaut

hi, I would choose the Oppo.

Cambridge Audio is Richer Sounds' own make.
Both players are made by the same manufacturer (Oppo).

I doubt it, for their older players maybe - Cambridge Audio does not have a 4K player yet.

manicm

As of to date, WHF have categorically stated the Oppo 203 has the best 4k picture by far - beating even the Panny 900.

'The amount of detail conveyed by the Oppo UDP-203 outshines the Panasonic DMP-UB900.
Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/oppo/udp-203/review#Ox7TJugxE0C0XuUc.99'

However I'm sure the Sony is the equal of the Panny.

manicm said:
bigboss said:
buzz_lightclick said:
Frans Callebaut said:
hello,

kind regards,

frans callebaut

I doubt it, for their older players maybe - Cambridge Audio does not have a 4K player yet.
All of Cambridge Audio's past players have been made by Oppo. They haven't announced a 4K player yet, but I'm pretty certain it'll be Oppo again. Otherwise, there will be a difference in the quality.

manicm

bigboss said:
manicm said:
bigboss said:
buzz_lightclick said:
Frans Callebaut said:
hello,

kind regards,

frans callebaut

All of Cambridge Audio's past players have been made by Oppo. They haven't announced a 4K player yet, but I'm pretty certain it'll be Oppo again. Otherwise, there will be a difference in the quality.

The previous BDP752 shared a bit but not as much as previous players - maybe the same transport - but they had different DACs for starters. The same video DAC yes.

Also, I'm not actually sure CA has any intention of releasing a 4k player, I mean they launched a 1000 quid player in the midst of 4k players being launched - it's down to 700 now - still more than the new Oppo 203. I'm sure they're targeting a very specific audience who don't want 4k, but they surely did some marketing or they were downright stupid. And if they launch a 4k player now there's gonna be lynchings by CXU owners...

Marantz hasn't launched a new video player for over 5 years.

Who will buy the CXU now at the current price? I'd like to know Frank's response now :)

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
If you have your TV calibrated, then all players should be the same and should have all processing switched off, and the TV should be doing the donkey work.

im not sure if Dolby vision makes a difference for now, but may do in the future..

manicm

bigboss said:
manicm said:
I'd like to know Frank's response now :)
Frank never posts here. :)

If you mean David @ Frank Harvey Hi Fi, he left the job few months ago and has started his own shop: "The Little Audio Company".

Um, all apologies to David, he must be up to it now with people mistaking him. Actually he's posting quite frequently in the hifi section now.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I found a direct comparison between the oppo and panasonic by Vincent Teo very interesting. Apparently the panasonic does have slightly better detail resolution...which I thought was impossible when using a hdmi connection. See https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ys6mpdhaZI

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Ah, thank you. As it happens, since about September last year I have been asking Cambridge Audio when they will release a 4K Blu-ray player to rival either the Oppo 203 or the 205, and each time their answer has been ... they can't tell me yet!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts