Sony Bravia vertical stripes (photo included)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My TV is dead I think, this morning my picture was replaced with vertical lines going across the whole screen (http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/5277/sonybraviadead.jpg). The TV is a Sony Bravia KDL40EX503U and is less than 2 years old. The problem is I didn't take an extended warranty because honestly I didn't think I'd need one with a high end Sony TV. I did sign up to their site and register my TV when I bought it though, so not sure if that'll work in my favour.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if Sony will help me and what exactly is the fault? I'm not a rich man and I had to save for a long time for this TV and I can't afford a new one, so if Sony shows me the door I'm stuck with a £600 paper weight unless it's easily repaired.

Thank you for any help,

-Steve

A

Anonymous

GSB said:
What type of signal does the tv recieve,sky/tivo/freeview? :O

I have Sky and Freeview but there isn't a picture at all, just the funky stripes. I can't even bring up the menu or anything.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Looking around the web it seems that you may well have the classic symptoms of a bad T-Con ?

You can see the same pics on youtube. It seems this kind of banding has went on for a few years by what you can read and lots seem to be Sony lcd tv's.

A

Anonymous

Alantiggger said:
Looking around the web it seems that you may well have the classic symptoms of a bad T-Con ?

You can see the same pics on youtube. It seems this kind of banding has went on for a few years by what you can read and lots seem to be Sony lcd tv's.

Do I have a hope in hell of Sony replacing the board for free since it's past one year? It's really shocking how quickly it died on me.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to say MRHUK that I have no idea as to where you'd stand with Sony and their replacing the part or if indeed this IS the part that's gone wrong... though your own picture does look like others online who do say that this is the problem ?

Maybe someone else more adept with this type of thing could advize you better ?

I would imagine a phone call first to Sony UK and see what they say ?

A

Anonymous

Alantiggger said:
Sorry to say MRHUK that I have no idea as to where you'd stand with Sony and their replacing the part or if indeed this IS the part that's gone wrong... though your own picture does look like others online who do say that this is the problem ?

Maybe someone else more adept with this type of thing could advize you better ?

I would imagine a phone call first to Sony UK and see what they say ?

I emailed them, but they didn't read the email too well as they asked things I'd already told them in the first email so I've sent them another email and we'll go from there I guess.

A

Anonymous

I got an email back saying that can't even estimate the repair cost, so they want me to agree to a repair of unknown value. Not exactly the most helpful support in the world.

A

Anonymous

A little update, basically Sony wouldn't help me and have fobbed me off and told me to look for a repair centre in my area so it looks like I'll be out of pocket for the repair. I have to say I will never buy another Sony television ever again, the customer service is just horrible and they honestly couldn't give a damn.

I have sent a local repair centre an email asking for an estimate so we'll see, hopefully it's not too expensive as I really can't afford it ATM.

A

Anonymous

BenLaw said:
Have you spoken to your retailer? Who is that?

Amazon UK. I haven't spoken to them. For some reason the order isn't showing up in my history, but I did save all the emails from them.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Your best bet is to take the issue up with Amazon, make it clear to them that you would expect a premium tv, which cost £600, to last longer than 2 years. Politeness is always a good thing at all times, but be firm, and do not accept no for an answer.

If that does fail, and it might, the next best thing to do would be to get a new tv, as any repair would probably cost more than the tv is actually worth.

I know you say you had to save for a long time to get the Sony, but it's possible to get a new 40 inch + tv for not much over £300.

This Panasonic 42" could be good for you, and it comes with a free 5 year warranty.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txp42x50b/pana-txp42x50b

Hope it all works out for you.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Agree. The key is the Sale Of Goods stuff you were given a link to earlier. The key is whether the product has lasted a reasonable time. There's no hard and fast rule for that, so include a photo when you contact amazon and explain that this shouldn't be happening after two years and you require a repair or replacement. If they refuse threaten them with a Small Claim. Personally, I think utter destruction of a TV like we can see on your photo definitely should not be happening after two years.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I agree fully with Ben, very helpful.

He's not so good with freeview channel advice though.
grin.gif

TRENDING THREADS