Sony Bluray BDPS550 to BT Home Hub

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Help....

Someone must have come across this problem and neither BT or Sony are willing or able to assist. Having just purchased the BDPS550 Blu ray and also having the BT home Hub already installed I thought nothing would be simpler than to connect the bluray to the hub by the ethernet cable.

I conncted via the LAN100 port on the bluray to the wireless hub via the cable into either of the two ethernet ports 1 and 2. I spoke to BT and they said use DHCP when putting in the internet settings as you are 'directly connecting by cable between' the bluray player to the hub. This I have carried and when going through the network settings on the bluray player and then finally coming to the network diagnostic check the following error come up.

Connection status cannot be confirmed. Check the following items.

1. The power is on for the router and devices between this unit and the router.

2. All cables between this router and the unit are fitted correctly.

3. The type of cable straight or crossed is correct.

I have checked all the above and cannot connect the bluray to the internet. My hub is okay and i have used three different pieces of cable and they all connect correctly. Sony said it might be the ifrewall. BT said that is not the case refer back to Sony. How has anyone else connected if they have the homehub or other router their Bluray player. Anyhelp would be appreciated in laymans terms please.......

Woodruffe

Feb 6, 2008
Visit site
Have you tried going into the settings for the router and seen connected devices? I haven't got a BT home hub but I've played around with enough other routers to know that usually there is a section telling you what is connected either wired or wireless? This usually appears even if they are working or not.....

Worth a try for a start,

Ben.

A

Anonymous

Ben

Just checked the BT Homehub manager it shows no connections on the ethernet!! What do you suggest?

Woodruffe

Feb 6, 2008
Visit site
Here are a few ideas that I would be trying.......

1. Is the cable you are using crossover or direct or don't you know?

2. Can you move the hub so it is near a pc/xbox/laptop and try a direct connection that way to check if it is the ethernet ports on the hub or the Bluray?

3. Try turning off the firewall completely for 5 mins and see if that allows any connection.

4. Is there a way of finding or fixing the ip address on the Sony?

Ben.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply answer to your questions

1. I am assuming this is the standard ethernet cable that will connect between PC's and the router.

2. Checked hub by connecting laptop, BT sending out new hub as they are unsure whether this is working correctly and that is both ethernet ports on the hub don't appear to be right. So the new hub arrived and then this didn't connect at all to the broadband. Now waiting for another hub.

3. Spoke to BT about the firewall they said you do not need to worry about this as if you are direct connecting a cable from the bluray to the hub this should be okay and there if no firewall to interfere with as its not wireless.

4. Question 4 unsure what you mean as the input fields when you are setting up the network relate to you. BT state leave it at DHCP and do not manually input as the device should automatically detect the settings.

So in answer to everything I will wait for the new hub to arrive see what that does but do wonder how have other users connected their blu ray players to thye internet to get the benefits of BD live etc........??

If the hub works will let you know otherwise the problem may sit with SONY.

Woodruffe

Feb 6, 2008
Visit site
It does sound like it's the hub, especially if the laptops didn't work when they connected. I don't really know what BT mean about the the firewall, it shouldn't just be active through the wireless. I'm assuming that the hub will have some sort of built in firewall as most modern ones do have a simple one programmed in. People can correct me if I'm wrong but I was always aware this 'sat' between anything connected to the hub and the outside world. If anything is connected to the hub, either wired or wireless it still has to pass through the firewall otherwise protection would be compromised for those devices which are wired in??

In relation to the cable, if it is the sort you usually connect a laptop with that is direct, a crossover is usually used if you connect a P.C to a P.C without any sort of hub inbetween.

The only other thing which has occured to me is if you have limited the mount of devices your hub can connect to. Everytime something connects to your hub via DHCP (ie laptops, PS3, Xbox) it is given an ip address, usually starting 192.168.0.(number) and these can change dynamically (the D in Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). As a very simple security measure you can limit the number of DHCP addresses your router gives out so extra people cannot 'piggyback' your network, so if you have 3 P.C's you limit the DHCP to 3 ip adresses. If this is set at a low number and you have loads of things connected you might not have the space for it. Obviously, if it is set to 99 it completely blows that idea out of the water
emotion-1.gif

This seems to be turning into a P.C chat now rather than HiFi so I'll leave it at that but I hope the new hub gets it sorted for you!

Ben.

BlackSpy

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
HomeHubs really are quite ropey, they electronics in them are pretty antiquated - there is a reason they're given away and it's not charity.

Hardware and software fall outs always leave the problem with the user, so many other people to blame before anyone needs to take responsiblitly for themselves. If you're needing help in laymans language I'd suggest you're either

a) doomed never to get it to work.

b) doomed to buy a new router which may or may not work.

A

Anonymous

This sort of problem is very frustrating!

I would concentrate on connecting the laptop to the hub, if you can't connect the laptop then there is no hope for the bluray.

It should use a normal ethernet cable, preferably one that you know is good becuase you have used it successfully to connect the laptop to another router. The laptop should be set up to use DHCP. If the laptop will still not connect, then there is probably a problem with the hub.

It could be configuration, such as the max connections mentioned earlier or it could be hardware such as a bad port.

If you have something connected to the hub by a wired connection that works, then you should be able to unplug it and try the laptop. That would eliminate a lot of things if it worked. If it didn't work then the problem starts to look like the laptop config.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts