Sony BDPS 370 bitstream audio to Yamaha RX-V667 ... problem ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I think I have tried most things and am still unable to get this to work so I'm hoping to get some help here. Basically, I am trying to get my sony bdps 370 to bitstream teh blu ray's DTS-HD sountrack to my Yamaha RX-V667 receiver. I understand if I do this right, the receiver display should display DTS-HD .. but it doesn't.

I have connected my Sony BDPS 370 blu Ray player to the Yamaha RX-V667 via HDMI. On default settings the amp display shows PCM when I play a blu Ray with DTS HD

So, I go into the Sony blu Ray player audio settings menu and change BD mix to "off" and leave hdmi audio on "auto". On the amp, I switch to "straight" mode.

I understand that the amp display should now change from PCM to DTS-HD . However my display now shows Dolby Digital instead ! No idea where that comes from.

I now use a cable to connect the audio digital out from the amp to the audio in on the amp. I then link the appropriate audio in to the hdmi in of the blu Ray.
Now the amp display shows the audio signal DTS. Not HD or anything just plain DTS.

I hope someone can explain all this to me and how i van properly bitstream
the DTS HD audio from the blu Ray to my amp via the HDMI cable.

Also I should say that I am Singapore and i bought the amp here. Not sure if that means a difference, maybe in different regions the display shows differently?

Finally, from my basic understanding even if my amp displays PCM, all it means is that the HD audio is decoded in the blu Ray player rather than the amp. The sound coming out from the speakers is STILL the HD audio isn't it ??

Thanks a lot everyone !
Jay

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I dont have exactly the same machine as you but this is how my Sony 350 is set up.

AUDIO OUT PUT PRIOROTY - HDMI :

HDMI AUDIO - AUTO :

BD AUDIO - DIRECT :

DOLBY DIGITAL - DOLBY DIGITAL :

DTS - DTS.

You are correct in your last assumption, if the amp displays PCM the the Sony is decoding the audio. You will never see HD audio displayed if you are using optical, its only available via the HDMI output. Remember also that the default soundtrack on some BR discs is not the DTS HD one, change this with the Sony's remote when the disc is playing.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the quick reply .. unfortunately, i can't seem to see similar settings in the bdps370 audio settings menu. and yes, i have set the blu ray audio to DTS-HD .... any other ideas ?? Thanks !

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi eetyaj, I had a similar issue with my S570 showing MULTI-IN all the time instead of DTS-HD, I think I changed the the HDMI Audio to PCM. I'll check when I get home tonight.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the responses, tonya look forward to seeing your settings and hopefully i can replicate it on my set up ... at the moment i am also wondering if am still getting HD audio from my speakers when it is decoded in the player and output to my amp as PCM ? i was told that if the amp is decent (which i hope the 667 is ..) then it is better to get the decoding done in the amp .. in which case i should see DTS-HS as the input signal .. what makes it more confusing is that my amp shows Dolby Digital (no HD ) when viewing a DTS-HD blu ray via HDMI !! : ) any help greatly appreciated !

lee37

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
the setting on the sony player are correct bd audio mix settings off is the one for direct sound

make sure the blu ray isnt a Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) film as that will come up dolby digital.

try another br film or check settings on amp ( i have a sony amp so cant help).

what film is it and i will check it on mine

A

Anonymous

lee37 said:
the setting on the sony player are correct bd audio mix settings off is the one for direct sound make sure the blu ray isnt a Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) film as that will come up dolby digital. try another br film or check settings on amp ( i have a sony amp so cant help). what film is it and i will check it on mine
Hi lee37

hi lee37, it was Unstoppable i was testing this with, but it seems to have the same issue with Inglorious Basterds as well .. thanks for checking for me !

lee37

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
out of the 500 + blu ray films i have these are 2 i have not got.

have you any other films so i can see what the output is on the s370

lee37

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
for some reason it was duplicated my post i have now edited it but i seem to be have a problem with the rich text, when i disable it it works fine didnt happen before

A

Anonymous

Hey I'm having the same issues here! Using Onkyo 905 and I have suspected that it was the Onkyo but somehow after reading this thread I tot it could be the Sony 370 too. Having said tat however, I'm pretty sure tat the settings on my Sony is correct. I'm from Singapore too

soulsonic34

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I was encountering the same issue in that the Yamaha RX-V667 a/v amp not displaying DTS-HD Master Audio on the receiver UNTIL the steps below

were taken/applied:

Verifying DTS-HD Master Audio & Dolby TrueHD are evident when using the Yamaha RX-V667 amp with the Sony BDP-S590 Blu-Ray Player

1. Apply the following settings to the Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player

Press Home … Set-up … Audio Settings to modify the audio settings

Audio (HDMI) ====> Auto

DSD Output Mode ====> Off

BD Audio Mix Setting ====> Off

Dolby Digital/DTS ====> Bitstream

DTS Neo:6 ====> Off

Audio DRC ====> Auto

Downmix ====> Surround

Once applied, insert your Blu-Ray disc having a DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD sound-track into the player. In my instance I was "X-MEN First Class".

Select the DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD sound-track, if available.

2. Apply the following settings to the Yamaha RX-V667

2.1 Using the Yamaha remote turn-off all sound programs by pressing STRAIGHT.

NOTE

IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT NO DSP SOUND PROGRAMS ARE EMPLOYED OTHER THAN 'STRAIGHT'.

IF IN DOUBT, SELECT "PURE DIRECT" TWICE AND THEN PRESS STRAIGHT.

2.2 Press the INFO button which is below the FM button within the Tuner area on the Yamaha remote, to cycle through the input source program in surround decoder order (see page 10 of the Yamaha Menu). Please Note, there is a slight pause for each display mode to take effect.

Input ====> Blu-Ray (I've labelled HDMI-1 as Blu-Ray)

DSP Program ====> Straight

Audio Decoder ====> DTS-HD MSTR

DTS-HD Master Audio can also be confirmed by doing the following:

2.3 Again using the Yamaha Remote, press the on-screen button.

Select the 'Information … Audio Signal' sub-menu to display/confirm the received audio

Format ====> DTS HD MSTR

Sampling ====> 48 khz

Channel ====> 3/2/0.1 (Please note I have a 'traditional' 5.1 system i.e. front left, centre, front-right, rear-left, rear-right and a subwoofer)

Dialogue ====> 0db

I hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts