Sony BDP-S760 no disc error message

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have bought a Sony BDP-S760 just three weeks ago and during the sixth blu-ray movie the picture froze. I managed to skip one chapter and the movie went on. But I noticed that the subtitles (I am not a native English speaker) were gone, as well as the sound track selection (from Dolby True HD to DD). Pressed the stop button, ejected the disk, loaded it again, and there it was: 'no disc' showed up in the player's display!!?. Took another disc, same message. Took a DVD, same message. Took the initial disk, something happend, but then "invalid disc" appeared in the display.

I did a quick search on the internet and it appears that the problem/defect is concerned with the optics used and is a wide spread issue with Sony blu-ray players given the hundreds of messages all over the internet of the same problem with either the PS3, the BDP-S300, 350, 500, 550. This may point at a manufacturing or production error which Sony hasn't remedied yet. I called both the store from which I bought the player and Sony's customer service. In both cases it was stated that I should have the machine fixed by Sony (free of charge). This will take about 4-5 weeks. In addition, the Sony staff member stated that he had not heared of the problem before (right...). Apart from the fact that I would have considered it fair if in this particular case the store/Sony would have replaced the machine immediately, getting the machine fixed by Sony's service centre is no guarantee whatsoever that the issue will be solved. For, if the defunct optics are replaced by the same model or type, the issue will most likely show up again sooner or later. It is of course tremendously difficult, if not impossible, for me to establish that Sony is selling blu-ray machines with a manufacturing or production error, and yet, given the enormous amount of complaints regarding exactly the same problem and symptoms this does appear to be a structural issue. In the past a recurring problem with the Microsoft Xbox led Microsoft to extend the warranty period from 1 to 3 years. So does any one know what (legal) steps I should take? And, are there other owners of this model with the same experience?

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi don,have you done any firmware updates?.via connecting your player to the net,Ive had my bdps760 since 27 dec 2009,and had no probs so far,also own a 60gig ps3,with no problems.Go to www.sony.co.uk/support Or if you are unhappy go back to your retailer.And have a nice word to see if they can sort the problem out for you.

A

Anonymous

Sony is rubbish. Their TV, blu-ray player and av receiver all have defects of some kind.

A

Anonymous

Well, it's true. This forum alone is testimony of that.

A

Anonymous

I would not accept a fix when there's a problem within 3 weeks. I would
demand a new player. From the retailer that is. You can't ask Sony to replace it since you haven't bought from them, with regard to Sony's obligations the regular conditions in your
warranty apply.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
it all depends on the consumer protection legislation in your country. In the UK, your contract is with the retailer, not Sony - so the shop must deal with it, rather than Sony - let them fight that battle!

In the UK, you're allowed a "reasonable" (very subjective) period of time to ensure goods are fault-free, and if not, you have a right to reject the goods (Sale of Goods Act 1979). Given the fact this appears to be a brand-new machine, I would return it to the shop and reject it as "not of satisfactory quality" - although please do check the consumer rights organisations in your country.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the responses.

As to the firmware update, it was updated immediately when I connected the player with the internet. I have read messages of many, many people whom had been given the advice by Sony to update their firmware and in none of the cases described it was of any help. Neither did it help to reset the machine (which is all very logical if one realises that a part of the player - the optics - got broke).

I also own a PS3 and I did not have a comparable problem with this one (yet). However, the point is that the defect appears to be a widespread and structural problem with the optical part of Sony blu-ray players. Just type "Sony no disc error" in Google and see how many results appear!!! Also with respect to machines which were sold 1-2 years ago! For that reason I don't believe that this is a coincidence or just bad luck.

I live in the Netherlands and here there is a 8-day replacement/money back guarantee. I.e. if it turns out that there is a defect within that period it is treated as if the defect already existed when the machine was still in the box. Beyond that period, the normal manufacturers warranty applies. I do know that the contract is with the store and not with Sony, but the store simply refers to the formal rules which do not oblige them to replace the machine. I am outraged that neither the store or Sony is willing to apply some flexibility here because of the ridiculous short period of use. Still, at this point (I am still doing research) I do not really see a possibility to bring the case to Court.In the meantime I wish to inform as many people as possible of this seemingly structural defect in Sony blu-ray players.

A

Anonymous

I recently had the same issue on my 7 month old BDP S550, after putting in a brand new sealed copy of Batman Begins on Blu-Ray, it froze like the op described, and refused to play. After ejecting the disc, I put another one in, and got the dreaded 'disc error' message, which was displayed for every other blu-ray I tried (10+). After contacting the retailer (Hughes Electrical, very recommended) they fixed it under guarantee in 2 days. I was told that it was a combination of a problem with the firmware, which apparently had to be wiped and reinstalled, and the optics, as the player required an entire new drive unit sent from Sony. I got a refund on the 'faulty' disc, but this makes me wonder whether it was simply something which was waiting to happen. I've also heard from a friend of a PS3 with a similar fault. I would definately suggest taking back to the retailer, though if it is only 3 weeks old you should certainly be able to get a new one.

A

Anonymous

Another SONY!
emotion-42.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, but then how many people are going to start a thread saying 'I bought an Xxxx and nothing has gone wrong'? Your evidence is, by definition, based on a self-selecting survey...

A

Anonymous

It was the Matrix disc (the first episode). But I doubt that it was caused by the disc as such.

A

Anonymous

Todds: I was told that it was a combination of a problem with the firmware, which apparently had to be wiped and reinstalled, and the optics, as the player required an entire new drive unit sent from Sony. I got a refund on the 'faulty' disc, but this makes me wonder whether it was simply something which was waiting to happen.

The replacement of the entire drive unit was also something that was suggested by the retailer. However, if the drive unit is the problem in the first place, then replacing it by another one of the same model/type will not structurally fix the problem, right? Given the fact that so many Sony blu-ray players have this problem with the drive unit makes me wonder whether this is simply a badly manufactured part; or do the different players have different types of drive units?

Question: why and from whom did you obtain a refund on the 'faulty' disc?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Yes, but then how many people are going to start a thread saying 'I bought an Xxxx and nothing has gone wrong'? Your evidence is, by definition, based on a self-selecting survey...

True, but if you search the internet for Pioneer/Panasonic etc and 'no disc error' or 'invalid disc' you find a few messages only. You will find hundreds if not thousands when searching for Sony and the error. I would say that this is an objective comparison in relation to this particular defect.

A

Anonymous

Don Habano:
Andrew Everard:Yes, but then how many people are going to start a thread saying 'I bought an Xxxx and nothing has gone wrong'? Your evidence is, by definition, based on a self-selecting survey...

True, but if you search the internet for Pioneer/Panasonic etc and 'no disc error' or 'invalid disc' you find a few messages only. You will find hundreds if not thousands when searching for Sony and the error. I would say that this is an objective comparison in relation to this particular defect.

....... and this from a Sony owner too! I feel for people who buy Sony products, really
emotion-9.gif

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

A

Anonymous

Garland Genoho:Don Habano:

....... and this from a Sony owner too! I feel for people who buy Sony products, really
emotion-9.gif

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

Garland, that's the third time you made this point in this thread. We get it, you don't like Sony.

Ontopic: in the Netherlands, a product should conform to what can be reasonably expected of it. That means it should last for a reasonable period. However, if it doesn't, unfortunately you have to give the retailer the option to fix it within a reasonable timeframe, or replace it. I think you could try the argument that a 4-5 week repair period is unreasonable given that you've only had the player for 3 weeks (so the retailer has to replace it).

Good luck!

lee37

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
i had a sony s350 and then upgraded to a sony s360.

i have hammered both machines watching blu ray and dvd.

i have over 300 blu ray and have watched them all on these machines.

the only disc i got an error on was one that i ripped the blu ray movie out and it would not play.

but i blame that on the ripping software as others worked

and i am now thinking of getting a 760 but may wait for the 770 in june

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Garland Genoho:....... and this from a Sony owner too! I feel for people who buy Sony products, really
emotion-9.gif

Feel free to take your patronising attitude somewhere else mate, I've owned numerous Sony products going back 20 years (I currently have 3 Sony products in regular use, 2 of which are getting on for 10 years old) and in that time I've had 1 issue and that was my fault. And you know what, Sony fixed it free of charge anyway.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:Garland Genoho:....... and this from a Sony owner too! I feel for people who buy Sony products, really
emotion-9.gif

Feel free to take your patronising attitude somewhere else mate, I've owned numerous Sony products going back 20 years (I currently have 3 Sony products in regular use, 2 of which are getting on for 10 years old) and in that time I've had 1 issue and that was my fault. And you know what, Sony fixed it free of charge anyway.

1 happy customer - bravo!

A

Anonymous

Don Habano,

I'm not sure, there is the possibility that it is simply something that will affect all drive units, and thus the problem will not be fixed, or that, as you suggest, there are different model drives for different model players, the guy I asked about the repairs was not particualy forthcoming on this aspect.

With regards to the 'faulty' disc, at the time, before the repair results had come back, I assumed, and had done until reading this thread, that the disc had somehow caused the problem, and thus arranged a refund. I got it from amazon.co.uk, and because it was a xmas present which had been bought in october, and thus outside their 28 day return window, I had a bit of a song and dance getting a refund, but on explaining on the phone that it had damaged my player (which I thought was the case at the time) they were very accomodating and offered a refund.

I'm still not sure what the exact chain of events was, I was convinced that there was something the disc had done to the player, especially as I read somewhere there were issues with the firmware on the Batman Begins blu-ray, which I hypothosised could have caused the issue, but obviously on reading this thread i'm not sure. I'm wondering if the drives might be inherently faulty, and certain discs can cause them to fail, though i've played The Matrix blu-ray on my player several times without fault *touches wood*. But it seems odd that some threads i've read describe gradual failures instead of the sudden failures we had. Or maybe there are some good drive units used and some faulty, as has happened in the Xbox 360, with some of the '06 models having faulty drives (i've been a victim of this also), and that hopefully my drive has now been replaced with a new one; i'm really not sure what to make of it to be honest!

o

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts