Sony BDP-S5000ES - Is it worth it in my set up ?

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I have the Sony DA5400es av amp and use a Sony BDP-S370.

I have, imo decent speakers - PMC GB1 & DB1 L/R & C , Mission 752 Freedoms as rears.

I could buy this player at a very reasonable price at the moment on the second hand market.

The Blu Ray player and my amp were made for each other.

I am not overly bothered on 3D or internet functions (got a laptop for that). But do want a brilliant picture and decent sound.

Is it worth doing or would I be better off buying a modern player such as a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 for instance.

CD playback is taking a back seat in my life as I tend to use an Apple Airport Express for convenieance (cant spell apologies).

My only query is how long does this player take to load a Blu Ray because as you all know the cheaper Sony that I have is pretty quick.

Would picture & sound quality be a leap forward in what I already have ?

Please advise.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The 5000 will take longer to load than the current budget Sony players.

If I am honest - I knew this answer - just wanted to know if its worth buying a "older" premium old school they don't make them like this anymore player or am I just about to waste my money because the new crop are so much better.

Please discuss.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There certainly isn't anything, and won't be, anything like these any more. Sony haven't replaced the S5000 with anything yet, and I doubt they will - Pioneer won't be replacing the LX91 either. Personally, whether it makes a difference to the quality or not, I'd rather have something with a bit of substance rather than something that you can physically twist in your hands, and will fit through a letter box :)

I would say for a budget setup, it may not be worth the expense as other areas of the system might appreciate the cash injection, but for those who want a quality piece of kit, especially those with a projector or high quality plasma, it's worth it. Especially for the DVD performance, which I find under par on budget Bluray players.

TRENDING THREADS