Sony BDP-S360 vs Sony BDP-S550 - which is best?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm wanting to buy a new blu-ray player and have around about £200 to spend; the new Sony BDP-S360 got 5 stars in this months WHF review so I am very tempted to go out and buy one; before I do however, I'm wanting to know is it better than older Sony BDP-S550 which can be bought for similar money now as it is soon to be replaced by the Sony BDP-S560.

I already have the Sony BDP-S350 which is a fantastic budget player and will be going upstairs in the bedroom.

Please can somebody advise? (Appologies if it's all a bit confusing will all these different model numbers?)

Kind Regards

Andy

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
andyb1984:
I'm wanting to buy a new blu-ray player and have around about £200 to spend; the new Sony BDP-S360 got 5 stars in this months WHF review so I am very tempted to go out and buy one; before I do however, I'm wanting to know is it better than older Sony BDP-S550 which can be bought for similar money now as it is soon to be replaced by the Sony BDP-S560.

I already have the Sony BDP-S350 which is a fantastic budget player and will be going upstairs in the bedroom.

Please can somebody advise? (Appologies if it's all a bit confusing will all these different model numbers?)

Kind Regards

Andy

Seriously, at this level, I doubt you would even notice a difference - I'd go for the cheaper option. I don't expect the 360 to offer anything the 550 doesn't and vice versa.

A

Anonymous

Ok thanks for the advice; is there any difference in specification do you know?

A

Anonymous

Why don't you wait Andy, save up some more and get a real step up in performance when the new players from Pioneer or Denon are released, or the Oppo which is what I'm favouring. Thats what I'm planning to do.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I understand that the 360 is very similar to the 560 in mechanism, but the 560 has some extra features, which are not (strictly speaking) necessary for better play back. That would indicate the 360 is better than the 550.... that said, the step-up from the 350 is less likely to set the world alight for you; upgrades are better for a seachange, rather than a baby step!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice guys; I am not exactly looking to upgrade but just want another player so that I can put my S350 in the bedroom and watch my blu-ray discs in bed. That said, I would still be interested in buying a more expensive player to go with my main setup if the performance justifies the price. All suggestions welcome?

Kind Regards.

A

Anonymous

Hi there Andy,

I would say if it's to match a current system with Amp and TV but the other is going to your bedroom etc.

Then Definitely go for the S360 if it's better than the s350 and you can get it for less than £180 from Play.com and cheaper slightly elsewhere, then really there is no question it's a fantastic player. Realistically you will only see a step up by spending a lot more and then maybe it will not match your TV and system anyway. The next step up in my opinion is the £350 Pioneer BDP-51FD

Hope that helps make up your mind, I'm getting one too lol

Rob

A

Anonymous

Thanks Rob, I appreciate that. I am really tempted to go for the Sony BDP-S360 but I was debating whether to hang fire and wait for the Sony BDP-S560 to be released. I am almost certain that I will get either one of these two players anyway; do you think there will be much difference between the two?

moomin

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
As far as I know the 550 has a built in 8 channel decoder if your amp isn't HD and has at least six channel analougue inputs then this will be better for you to decode the HD codecs on board and send them via analouge to your amp, if your amp is an hdmi amp then the 350 or 360 will suffice

A

Anonymous

Thanks; I've got the Onkyo TX-SR607 so all that doesn't affect me then. Will the built in wi-fi on the 560 make any difference at all do you know?

A

Anonymous

... I've made my decision and have just ordered the Sony BDP-S360 ... you can't go wrong for £165

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts