Sony 46W4500 Happy Customers? And the plasma LCD debate again

Davro83

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi, i really cant decide what 46" tv to get. Been searching ages. I have a 42" plasma at moment but about 5 years old. I saw the 46W4500 sony today and the picture was excellent.. I really like the tv but i dont want CLOUDING or anything like that. Who has the tv and has a perfect set? Any help. And how many do you think are effected by clouding? If it was 1 in 10 i will take that gamble but if its 1 in 2 i wont. I dont wanna have to faff about echanging it. Does clouding ahappen on all LCD tvs? If i got a samsung would it still get these issues? I only ask because i saw in 2 shops today a panny plasma pz81 next to sony 46w4500 and i thought the sony was much better. It was much sharper and brighter. I had the panny remote and kept changing the settings but couldnt get it as bright( by brightness i dont mean a lighter picture, i mean proper brightness) as the sony. I know people say some people prefer LCD others plasma, you just have to see it. Well i guess i prefer the LCD. Just want one without clouding. So back to the original question.... who has a sony 46W4500 and is completely happy with no clouding! The dark knight is on blueray soon and i dont want the dark scenes to be ruined by clouding as the film rocks!! Thanks for anyones input. I will now breath and relax.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I had a 46w4500 recently and luckily I was able to take it back and get a refund as it suffered with clouding and backlight bleeding as did the replacement (which I checked out in the shop). My advice would be if your going to go for the Sony (which is fantastic under the right conditions i.e. daylight or with suitable ambient lighting) go to the shop were your going to buy it from and insist that you see it up and running with the lights out (they took me into the store room) then you can make an informed decision on a: whether it has these problems and b: if so, can you live with it.

A

Anonymous

Just be careful on this one. If you do inspect the tv in the shop, you will be deemed (legally) to have accepted it and will be far less able to reject it once you got it home.

Perhaps better if you can buy from a retailer that offers a 'no-quibble' return policy?

A

Anonymous

Davro83:Is the 46W4500 worth the risk? Will batman (very dark films) look awesome?

If you watch it 'cinema style' in the dark and your set was to have the issues mine did then the simple answer is NO, the dark scenes will have a kind of slight grey haze over them and could also have pools of grey in one or more corners.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
You should of course:

a) read this full thread

b) try and see any set calibrated, so the backlight is set to a reasonable, not overblown amount

c) know that we've tested several of the sets - including in complete dark conditions - that have had no problems

d) we accept some people have had severe issues with this set - you must have assurance from your retailer that you will return the set if not happy. Several retailer (see main thread under (a); plus distance-selling protection) have been happy to exchange if you're not 100 percent

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd certainly read it if I was spending that much on a TV. Plus, if there were more fact - based on actual experience - rather than speculation, it'd be a quicker, more informative browse....

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:I'd certainly read it if I was spending that much on a TV. Plus, if there were more fact - based on actual experience - rather than speculation, it'd be a quicker, more informative browse....

Yeah soz bad attempt at a joke.

But yeah less legal talk and stuff about HDMI cables and the such would have been nice.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
You should of course:

a) read this full thread

b)know that we've tested several of the sets - including in complete dark conditions - that have had no problems

Clare, do you mean to say the W has no black-level problems as LCD's go? Or that it out-and-out can compete with P-Machine Plasmas with regards to black-levels?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
In side-by-side tests, in a dark room, the W4500 Sonys we had in were on a par with similar priced plasmas. Much to our amazement, actually - we expected the plasmas to take them ( as plasmas still do at 37in with the Panasonic)

Of course, the Pioneer Kuro plasmas still easily excel - but then a) they're only 50in+ and b) they're not cheap.

Davro83

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi clare. I have read the full thread but its all about peoples problem tvs. I just wanted to see how many people would post to say their sony was perfect like the ones you got to review. When ever someone finds a fault, lots of people jump on the band wagon and i just wanted to know if the sony clouding problem is as bad as that full thread seems to make out. The way everyone is talking on it makes it seem that every sony W4500 is problematic. Ive never owned an LCD before only plasma, i just dunno if i should change, but i thought the picture was better on sony 4500 than panny pz81. Thanks for everyones help.

A

Anonymous

What was showing on the tv's when you saw the Sony and Panasonic together?

Davro83

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
it was just the shops demo of hd content and adverts for films. so HD. i had the panny remote but couldnt get it to look as good as the sony. Also on monday i went into someones house(im a gas man) and saw the sony with standard SKY sports news and it looked really good.

Its just the dark scenes that worrying me. Do samsungs have the clouding problem?

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Davro83:

Hi clare. I have read the full thread but its all about peoples problem tvs. I just wanted to see how many people would post to say their sony was perfect like the ones you got to review. When ever someone finds a fault, lots of people jump on the band wagon and i just wanted to know if the sony clouding problem is as bad as that full thread seems to make out. The way everyone is talking on it makes it seem that every sony W4500 is problematic. Ive never owned an LCD before only plasma, i just dunno if i should change, but i thought the picture was better on sony 4500 than panny pz81. Thanks for everyones help.

I'm aware that there are some problems with this particular tv but in reality how many sets does Sony sell Worldwide of any particular model and how many people have had to complain about the 'clouding' issue? Think about car manufacturers and what percentage of faulty models are actually out on the roads before any recall is made.This obviously has major safety issues whereas the Sony tv issue is a purely functional one. Although this thread is very long, how many of these units have actually been proved faulty as a percentage of sales??

I think what the OP is attempting to do is very worthy in so much as it would allow any satisfied owners of said models to express their view.

A

Anonymous

Really important to compare the two on standard definition tv, and preferably something with a lot of movement. That way you'll know the relevant strengths and weaknesses of both sets.

As regards the Samsung, any LCD could potentially suffer from clouding or backlight bleed.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Villain2100:But yeah less legal talk and stuff about HDMI cables and the such would have been nice.
Sorry, partly my bad on that one. Sometimes I should just keep stumm!
grdunn123:I think what the OP is attempting to do is very worthy in so much as it would allow any satisfied owners of said models to express their view.
I agree, but unfortunately, it's unlikely to bring that many responses. The trouble is, when there is an issue, people will be on these sort of forums to see what they can do about it etc. but when their product is working, the vast majority of those owners won't even be browsing this forum. It's the same for all products which is why it can seem that a fault in a product is affecting a high percentage of owners, when in actual fact, it's a very small percentage of owners because the ones that are working aren't even online!
I have been a regular member of this forum for about a year now, and even in that short time, I've seen at least 4-5 cases of "outrage" on a product because anywhere between 4 - 10 people have complained about it. Some people even reach hysterical callings for the manufacturers demise because of it but, after a month or so, no one is even talking about it any more (the Onkyo receivers being a good example). Goodness knows how many the WHF team have seen!
Please note, I'm not trying to downplay the issue people are having with this TV - if I were them, I know I would be pretty damn upset. I think I'm just trying to get people to get some perspective on the whole issue. After all, you don't stop driving your car because 2,946 people died on Britain's roads last year do you?

A

Anonymous

Davro83:

it was just the shops demo of hd content and adverts for films. so HD. i had the panny remote but couldnt get it to look as good as the sony. Also on monday i went into someones house(im a gas man) and saw the sony with standard SKY sports news and it looked really good.

Its just the dark scenes that worrying me. Do samsungs have the clouding problem?

Have you seen football on Sky Sports HD on an Sony LCD tv? absolutely stunning picture quality
emotion-2.gif
emotion-21.gif

Davro83

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Well i saw a perfect 46w4500 today on the sony shop. It was on a dark scene and no clouding at all. The assistant said they will swap any set straight away if i got clouding but he has had nobody complain about this set at all. So im willing to take the risk as i think they look awesome. Only thing is sony were selling it for £1550 and online you can get it for about £1200. I want the £1200 price but would prefer to buy in a shop as its easier to return if problems. Anyone know any actual retailers in the south of England that sell the 46W4500 for under £1300 with warranty?

A

Anonymous

Davro83:Well i saw a perfect 46w4500 today on the sony shop. It was on a dark scene and no clouding at all. The assistant said they will swap any set straight away if i got clouding but he has had nobody complain about this set at all. So im willing to take the risk as i think they look awesome. Only thing is sony were selling it for £1550 and online you can get it for about £1200. I want the £1200 price but would prefer to buy in a shop as its easier to return if problems. Anyone know any actual retailers in the south of England that sell the 46W4500 for under £1300 with warranty?

Hi, just barter with the Sony shop and they should match or get close to any price you can prove, that's what I did with the Sony shop in Wolverhampton and got it for £1300 + 5 year guarantee. It had issues and I had to take it back for a refund but that's a separate matter.

A

Anonymous

Davro83:

Anyone know any actual retailers in the south of England that sell the 46W4500 for under £1300 with warranty?

Richer Sounds

Davro83

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Yeah thanks, found out there is a richer sounds near me and they sell the 46w4500 for £1169 on the net and they will match that if you tell them you saw it online. Will just have to haggle a good warranty too. With regards to the sony man telling me uk models are fine, i know he was talking rubbish as i asked if they price matched and he said not really but i wouldnt find it cheaper than they sell it. He was selling it for £1550. What a joker!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts