Sony 46EX503 (LCD) or Panasonic 46G20 (Plasma) viewed in a well lit room + SD performance

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Any advice would be very welcome. (There is no G20 in Ireland so I can't go to a shop to compare) The TV will be in the bay window of our living room which faces west and gets a lot of direct sunshine in the evening. When dark there are normally lights on nearly all the time. The only time the room is dark is when I get to watch a movie on my own, normally at weekends.

How does daylight and night time lighting affect the performance of the G20. Would the black levels be washed out compared to the Sony?

If I were to go for the 42V20 would its performance be improved over the G20 in bright lighting, and how would it compare to the Sony.

How would the blacks of the EX503 compare with the Panny G20/V20 in a darkened room

As the Irish TV statiuons are still broadcast in SD, can anyone comment on the comparative performances of the EX503/G20

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

there are no v20s in ireland , the g20 is on sale though , in all sizes , where do you live ? d.i.d electrical , harvey normans , power city etc all stock the g20 ..

it has freesat too , and i personally rate it to be a better all round tv than the ex503 ...

have you considered a samsung 46c750 ? same price/quality as the sony , but its also 3d , a no brainer if its between the two ...

A

Anonymous

I considered a Samsung LE46C750 and decided to go for it over the Panasonics (V20 and G20). I didn't rate the Sonys at all. It was really just down to the flip of a coin between the two. I'd also heard their were some issues with the V20 with banding and hums as well as the mysterious raising black levels, if they really exist in a perceptable manner. So far I'm pleased with my purchase. SD pictures can be a bit washed out on one channel the over the top on another. That is with Sky+ through scart. Will have to get Sky HD at some point in the near future.

A

Anonymous

the samsung is a fine tv imo , its an absolutely brilliant price too considering its a full 3d set , there is only one review online at the moment though , i wouldnt think too many people even know it exists ...

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
hello,

I have owned both of these tv's, the 40EX503 and i now own a 42G20.

Yes blacks can look a little washed out in a very bright room with the G20 but the solution couldn't be simpler, shut the curtains a little and problem solved! I owned 3 40EX503 tv's and all 3 had differing faults and i was never entirely happy with my purchase but the G20 changed the goal posts completely and i couldn't be happier (unless it was a bigger screen size of course!). You also have to consider the range of blacks plasma is capable of compared to lcd and the G20 walks away with the victory every time in this respect.

Just for your info i would take the G20 over a 503 any day, i much prefer the tv to the 503, it has a premium feel over the 503 plus you get twin HD tuners and a gorgeous image across all sources...you won't regret it that i can promise you!

A

Anonymous

Guys, Thanks for all the replys.

Max, I hadn't heard of the Samsung, but having done a bit of research it looks very interesting. Would you know which of the main traders in Ireland would have it (I can't see it on Powercity/DID websites). I can get the Sony at a very good price, around ?1,200 with a five year guarantee, and the only online Ireland prices I can see for the Samsung are ?1,500+ and that's before glasses.

Oldboy, thanks for your comments. I have an old SD Panny plasma and my original preference was to stick with plasma. I wish I could get the V series in 46" (50" not allowed by SWMBO). The curtains are very heavy drapes with lining and they make the room very dark, but they're really only pulled by me when watching movies on my own as my wife/kids like the room to be well lit, hence my heretical thoughts about migrating to LCD ! We have blinds we pull for privacy in the evening but they let a huge amount of light in. My thinking is that the G20 would only be optimised the occasional time I watch a movie on my own, so for general use the LCD would be better.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
socrates:

Oldboy, thanks for your comments. I have an old SD Panny plasma and my original preference was to stick with plasma. I wish I could get the V series in 46" (50" not allowed by SWMBO). The curtains are very heavy drapes with lining and they make the room very dark, but they're really only pulled by me when watching movies on my own as my wife/kids like the room to be well lit, hence my heretical thoughts about migrating to LCD ! We have blinds we pull for privacy in the evening but they let a huge amount of light in. My thinking is that the G20 would only be optimised the occasional time I watch a movie on my own, so for general use the LCD would be better.

That's a fair comment about light and day to day viewing, in this case i think you are right to go for lcd....shame though. I would be tempted by the Samsung just for the 3D but is it worth the premium price tag?? You got a good price for the Sony so maybe that's the one to go for, i can't recommend the 40inch version due to how many faulty sets i received but here's hoping the 46inch is better!

A

Anonymous

The Samsung can be had for a good price here:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE46C750-Widescreen-Allshare-Internet/dp/B003JEVQSE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279634992&sr=8-1

Samsung were doing an offer by mail of a free pair of 3D glasses.I don't know if this is still going. It was a first come first served basis. I only got mine 2 weeks ago. I must admit I've only used mine for a few minutes to try them out in 2d to 3d mode. I'm trying to find some trailers/demos to download to give the 3d a proper trial. I've no real interest in getting a 3d player (at the moment).

A

Anonymous

socrates:
Guys, Thanks for all the replys.

Max, I hadn't heard of the Samsung, but having done a bit of research it looks very interesting. Would you know which of the main traders in Ireland would have it (I can't see it on Powercity/DID websites). I can get the Sony at a very good price, around ?1,200 with a five year guarantee, and the only online Ireland prices I can see for the Samsung are ?1,500+ and that's before glasses.

sorry socrates i just spotted this , i would ring d.i.d. they are very competative , i reckon the 46c750 may be got for around e1350 .. give em a buzz...

A

Anonymous

didnt realise it was also 200hz , what a bargain ... compare to a sony 46in3dtv ,its less than half the price
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks Guys, I'll try DID, unfortunately Amazon don't deliver to Ireland.

A

Anonymous

it was a few years ago now , but i bought stuff from amazon , delivered here to waterford ..

you could also try komplett.ie .

A

Anonymous

I didn't realise Amazon didn't do Ireland. Living in England I suppose I have no reason for it to enter my sphere of conscience. Dixons have also had it on a good price and their also on Quidco

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts