Sony 40W5810 Do i have a problem set?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there new to all this so please be nice:)

I bought this set 6 weeks ago after the review in what hifi after previously returning 2 40W5500 due to the backlight issues and 4 stuck pixels on one and the other had 3 and the backlight issue but worse! This set seems fine regarding pixel drop out even the backlight is better by no means as good as the one in the review but i can live with it as it is only the top corners with very low light in room!

But I did notice something the other day while I was playing bioshock 2 on ps3 when I am looking at say one of the vending machines which has of course a straight vertical line well if I am looking at the right side and I pan my vision to the right i get i repeated image of that line kind of like a smear and i am not talking about fast movements of the controller I do not remember if i had this with the other sets but then i was annoyed about other things. Since I have seen this leads to to look at anything that is blurry in the screen with a ?

I am sure it is not my ps3 as a tried it with the same cable (van den hul flat 1m) on my 3yr old 22" LG and even though the pic is much smaller and way brighter as there is no backlight control i did not notice it on that set. I have tried farcry 2 and in dark scenes on that I have also noticed it I do not know if i am being too picky or if it is a fault I have tried it with motionflow in normal and high makes no difference the only thing i have not tried is adjusting the film mode will try that tonight if the wife lets me I am driving her nuts and now i am late for work.

I hope this makes sense and that someone can help me either way!

Many thanks

Jamie

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jamie,

I have the 40W5500 set and don't have those problems with games but i do get backlight bleed in the top corners like you and almost every owner of a Sony TV over the last 12months. First thing to do is switch to Game mode and not use the cinema mode for games because if you use the cinema mode almost all of the processing is engaged and this will effect the quality of the image, in game mode ALL of the processing is turned off to minimise picture artefacts and sound issues. Also do not use motionflow for games as that will create problems too, as a rule i have found it best to turn off all the processing modes for games but i don't guarantee this will work for your situation but it's got to be worth a go! Best of luck and i hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Good advice. But I would just go a preset general mode and toggle the settings manually. I use that personalised setting on all viewing and works out right. No motion flow - as that deals with judder and as Games are operating at 50/60 FPS the dejudder function have no bearing to improving motion rendering on Games.Clear that setting.

A

Anonymous

Hey

Thanks so much for the input "notherealakinanakamura" and "oldboy" i do use cinema mode i got the settings from **.co.uk same settings as i used on the 40w5500 though i did not notice this issue then but as i said i had other things annoying me then:( i will try the things you suggested later if i can as it winds the wife up all this tinkering can you please post your settings so i can try those to see if it sorts this out! I have had the st for 6 weeks now anyway so a replacement is not likely i got it from sony centre plus i am scared just incase i get one with other issues or worse backlight!! By the way my other sets came from richer sounds i got a full refund from them great service!!!

my settings are on the link below this is for the 40w5500 but supposed to be the same set!

http://www.**.co.uk/Sony-KDL40W5500/Settings.htm

cheers guys

jamie.

A

Anonymous

oops was it a mistake to post a link?

my settings are on ** website anyway:)

A

Anonymous

Don't blank out the Black Corrector, or Live color settings on the Sonys. Have them set on minimum or medium. They do jazz up the Blacks and Colors and can work well with animations and Graphic content.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
notherealakinanakamura:

Don't blank out the Black Corrector, or Live color settings on the Sonys. Have them set on minimum or medium. They do jazz up the Blacks and Colors and can work well with animations and Graphic content.

All that does is 'crush' the blacks and change the actual colours from natural to something that isnt. I disagree with your advice personally

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
OP ~ ive found a possible answer with my 46W5500

THEATRE mode is for viewing blurays 'only'

Everything else should use FILM MODE 2 (Theatre uses the 'cinema' settings and film mode 1)

Motionflow should be off

Games should be played in GAME mode to reduce lag

Ive found that if lazy and switch from theatre mode to GAME mode say, theatre mode switches itself off.

Except it doesnt appear to completey, so after watching a bluraymake sure you MANUALLY select theatre mode OFF (Ive had a 'black streak' effect otherwise, similar to what you describe)

A

Anonymous

hey all thanks so much for all your advvise.

i still have not had a chance to tinker as i work long hours and wifey is ill at the mo so at night it is a no no i hope to do it this weekend i did however notice it in a dark scene watching one her programs over sky hd but it was a sd channel but it is upscaled to 1080i i presume by the sky box!! i am sure the more you think about things the worse they seem too seems to me the general pic is more blurry on general movement than the other sets i had but maybe i am being too picky.

my settings are below i have always used these settings on all sets on all inputs including freesat i do not use freeview as i do not have an areal got freesat installed free with the tv they used my sky dish!

cheers guys

jamie

picture mode= cinema

backlight= 3 (up it in daylight sometimes)

contrast=75

brightness= 51

colour= 52

colour temp= warm2

sharpness= min

noise reduction= off

mpeg nr= off

motionflow= standard (website i used said leave it off but i hate judder)

film mode= auto1 (website i used said to use auto 2 for sd i use film mode auto 1 for everything)

black corrector= off

contrast enhancer= off

gamma= -1

auto light limiter= off

clear white= off

live colour= off

white balance settings below

r gain= -6

g gain= 0

b gain = 0

r bias= 0

g bias= 0

b bias= -5

eco sub menu setting below

power saving off

idle tv standby= 3hrs (website i used said leave it off)

pc power mgmt= off

light sensor= on (i only use this to mask the backlight issue as much as i can in low light website i used said leave it off)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Snakey:

picture mode= cinema

backlight= 3 (up it in daylight sometimes)

contrast=96

brightness= 51

colour= 52

colour temp= warm2

sharpness= 3

noise reduction= off

mpeg nr= off

motionflow= off

film mode= THEATRE mode for blurays ONLY

Film mode 2 for EVERYTHING else (Sky, dvds etc)

black corrector= off

contrast enhancer= off

gamma= 0

auto light limiter= off

clear white= off

live colour= off

white balance settings below

r gain= -6

g gain= 0

b gain = 0

r bias= 0

g bias= 0

b bias= -5

eco sub menu setting below

power saving off

idle tv standby= off

pc power mgmt= off

light sensor= off

Ive put the ones in bold id change

Brightness and contrast really need calibrating ~ you cant just take them off a site and expect them to work

Same goes for white balance

If the tvs pretty new I found it takes approx 3 weeks for the sharpness to really come to (was horrible and blurry at first)

Sharpness I put to 3 as otherwise its just out of focus (tested using a setup disc)

You say you use motionflow as you dont like juddering? Well using film mode 1 on anything other than blurays is going to create problems for you. Motionflow could also cause the problem you describe where you get a 'digital smearing' in dark scenes

A

Anonymous

ok aliEnRIK and the other guys thanks for your input

up untill yesterday afternoon I had made no adjustments as wifey was with tv for comfort with her illness but she was watching greys anatomy on living+1 from record on our sky hd box whilst i was doing my paperwork when i saw on a bright scene that a characters black hair was smearing onto her face as she was walking up stairs and when she walked across camera well it smeared like crazy you could see a trail now i do not know if that was a mix of bad video from sky or my sky box( it is only 3 weeks old) it cannot be the cable as it is the same as my ps3 (van den hul flat 1m i have 2). So i said to the wife this is driving me mad now so i had to make some adjustments i have done all of the adjustments mentioned on aliEnRIK's last post which did help a lot on the tv show seems a lot brighter and did not notice it anyway near as bad only in dark scenes a little and i am still getting it a little on games not as much though watched 2 blurays yesterday mirrors and state of play and again in dark scenes i noticed a little of black smearing i have used those settings in custom mode under general and i flick between that and theatre mode which uses cinema settings it does it in both please tell me if i am being picky or if i may have a problem? i have been watching sky for 6 weeks on this set(3 weeks was over scart on old box) i did not notice it then!!!! i am worried it will get worse or maybe i just had a bad video from sky? in that worse case i mentioned?

many thanks

A

Anonymous

oh other colours seem to smear on bioshock 2 like red only a little mind but it is a dark game and i noticed the credits smearing on jonothan ross on friday that was before adjustments that has bright pink backdrop though or am i making excuses here?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hmmmm....after looking more closely at my set over the weekend i can confirm i get the smearing when watching SD material but only during dark/low light scenes and yes it is off putting but i think it's just down to the lcd tech and quality of picture as during HD that problem dosen't rear it's head atall. I do also get the blur/smear sometimes in games (i noticed it on Fallout 3 last night for the first time) and again it seems to happen in dark/low light areas of games just like SD material which is rather strange no?? I don't think the tv is faulty (if it is then so is mine) but like yourself i would like to know what is causing this issue as it seems tweaking the picture settings has only a minimal effect on the smearing/blurring.

BTW i used that site to calibrate my tv but i would say it's a good starting point, don't forget that settings are different between different rooms and situations and that most AV reviewers review equipment in dedicated testing rooms and not a normal living room (WHF are NOT guilty lol) situation so some tweaking is almost always required at home. Of course for best results i would invest £15 in a HDTV calibration disc such as the DVE - HD basics disc which will get better results than the eye alone but that does only cover HD discs.

A

Anonymous

Hey oldboy

to be honest i thought that i was looking way too deep for something but it does seem weird that these kind of things happen this is why i waited so long in buying i bigscreen tv because of this kind of stuff but i have never seen this mentioned in reviews say argument against lcd and for plasma or something like that i mean i know that sony use 8msec response time panels but that cannot be the issue here! I was limited to either tosh sony or samsung due to the fact i do not like the greyness you get off angle on the screens of the panels used in lg phillips panasonic and so on even the high end ones! I hate the fact that samsung have a delay on the sound outs on their tvs they apply the delay to the tv speakers but not the outs which is fine if you have a good reciever that has a tweak!! and tosh seem to have dropped the ball of late so for me it had to be sony and do not get me wrong i love the set but sony make it hard to love mate:):):) Oh and just had sky hd installed and freesat for free from sony centre now i found out yesterday my landlord is moving back from australia and we must be out in 2 months now i am not happy:(:( also got think about a decent set up in new place for tv and pay for sky and freesat again ahhh life is cruel AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhh

Hey can you post me your settings so i can give em a try? i am thinking maybe the 40w5810 has different base settings than the 40w5500's i had? also where do i get this set up disk i have one on star wars not tried that yet!!!

p.s sorry old boy for going off topic in your thread:)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello snakey,

Sorry for late reply but i've been unable to get internet access for the last few days! I totally understand where you are coming from with respect to holding off before buying a big screen tv, i felt exactly the same before getting the 40W5500.....before that though i had 3 Samsung LE40B650 tv's due to each one being faulty and this is the third 40W5500 set and this one still isn't right with clouding in the top corners and another issue which you have already found in my thread (no probs going off topic, helps it stay alive lol). I'm regretting getting a bigger tv now as i've had nothing but trouble throughout!! So much for the advance in technology as this generation for me has been more like an advance in faulty goods and slack workmanship with the quality of tv seemingly plummetting. And yes Sony really do make it hard to love your telly lol :)

Really feel for you with your sky HD situation.....gutted! As for my settings i presume you would like my 'cinema' setting? I hope that is the case and here it is:

backlight 3 (4 during the day)

contrast 94

brightness 52

colour 53

colour temp Warm 2

sharpness 3 (bluray) 2 (dvd)

noise reduction Off

MPEG NR Off

Motionflow Off

Film Mode Auto1

Black Corrector Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off

Gamma Standard

Auto light limiter Off

Clear White Off

Live Colour Off

White Balance R Gain -6 and B Bias -5 rest set to zero

As you can see the settings are very similar with only a few minor tweaks to your settings, i hope this helps and please find below a link to the calibration disc i talked about but do bear in mind that it is for bluray only.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000V6LST0/ref=s9_k2ah_gw_ir02?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1FCCPV3KNJ45YDQ1D44F&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128473&pf_rd_i=468294

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts