SONY 40D or PANNY 42PX70B

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently have a Samsung 40" HD Ready LCD, which I use with my SKY HD, upscaled DVD's (Panny EZ27), Sony DG910 Bravia Amp, B&W M1's, panny PTAE900 projector & REL205 SUB. I have Just sold my xbox 360 & HD A1 player & may update to the new Sony blu ray player.

A decent setup, But I am becoming more and more aware of motion blur on the fast moving sports & action scenes(once you spot something it starts annoying you).

I'm thinking of changing the Samsung to a Sony 40D3000 or Panasonic 42PX70B.

I don't need to be concerned with viera link or bravia sync as I have a harmony 895.

I'm also concerned, as most people are, with future proofing and the Sony having 100 Hz, and 24 fp/s seems very tempting. I have had a look at one recently at a sony centre, being fed via the sky hd loop in the shop. Motion looked good, but I have to say, the picture did not look as sharp as my Samsung .

So my question is, would the Panny (being a plasma) without the 100hz be as smooth as the Sony, because I thought it's picture looked better than my samsung.

Any comments would be appreciated, especially if somebody owns either.

A

Anonymous

You say that the picture on the SONY in the shop wasn't as sharp as you current Samsung........but look at your great source equipment. What was the SONY shop using as their source when you saw the KDL-40D3000? I was lucky enough to see the TV playing a SKYHD recording of Ghostbusters II and I can honestly say I haven't seen more 3 dimensional pictures before. The Panny TH42PX70 is as 'smooth' as the SONY if you take standard definition out of the equation. Even though you may have SKYHD, you still have access to more standard definition digital channels than HD ones and with the 100HZ refresh rate the SONY, in my opinion, performs better though not by leaps and bounds. If you are want to stick with Plasma you could also take a look at the Samsung PS42Q97HDX which for around £699 is probably on a par with the Panny but which is also reputed to have better motion handling capabilities. It's low price, I think puts a lot of people off, but in life sometimes 'less is best' and this TV is far from being 'run of the mill'

A

Anonymous

PS: I should have said I've seen and heard the Samusung PS42Q97HDX and even with freeview it's pretty good.It's sound isn't bad but then again it 'aint wonderful. Having said that dialogue is good, so with a good surround system things will improve even more

You can get the Panny for about £800 at somewhere like DIXONS/CURRYS. The Samsung goes for around £900 in COMET which also seem to sell at over inflated prices but you can get it for around £699...yes you heard me right from either www.bedirect.co.uk or www.1staudiovisual.co.uk and thats a £100 cheaper than the Panny

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that info.

I really wanted to go for the 50" version of the panny or the samsung but my other half, correctly points out we have a 7' screenand projector for big viewing ( but thats no use in a mid day prem. kick off)

Do you know how the black levels on the 40D compare to the 42px? because some times when we are watching the LCD at night in low light conditions, you can tell it's back lit.

I think I will go and have another viewing of the 40D and if the black levels are ok, I will go for that, as this is the most future proofed (if there is such a thing).

A friend suggested the sony 40W, how do you think that compares to the 40D?

A

Anonymous

Black Levels on the TH42PX70 are better than that on the KDL-40D3000. However, that's not to say they are bad on the SONY........they are still good. But I agree with you..........in that the SONY is future proofed whereas the PANASONIC is not, and with the new generation of Blu Ray players to hit the market towards the end of this year 1080p/24 is right up the SONY's street. I also prefer the 40D to the 40W.........In my opinion it's pictures are startling.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If you don't want to buy immediately, we have a 40-42in Supertest coming up in the November issue, on sale September 20th. This will include new-generation Full HD and HD Ready sets from all the key manufactuers - including models not in the shops yet.

If they're anything like the leap ahead in performance that the 32in sets are we're currently testing for the October issue (out August 23rd), then they'll be a joy to watch....

A

Anonymous

PS: Having said that, Black Levels on the SAMMY are positively wonderful and seeing as you like watching football it's montion handling capabilities are great too.If there was any motion blurring........I for one, didn't recognise it. Just the oversound sound that let's the SAMMY down, though dialogue is relatively clear from it's small 'slitty' speakers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts