Sonos with FLAC v Marantz CD 6003

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've ripped my cd collection using dBpoweramp and am playing them back from a Buffalo LinkStation NAS, through the Sonos Connect, into a Rotel RA-921 amplifier and out of a pair of Monitor Audio BX2's.

Playing the original CD through the Marantz however is so much better, but I was lead to believe there would be no difference. Am I missing something?

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
jonniebag said:
I've ripped my cd collection using dBpoweramp and am playing them back from a Buffalo LinkStation NAS, through the Sonos Connect, into a Rotel RA-921 amplifier and out of a pair of Monitor Audio BX2's. Playing the original CD through the Marantz however is so much better, but I was lead to believe there would be no difference. Am I missing something?

What you're hearing a difference between is the DAC and analogue output of the Sonos vs the Marantz. I've not heard the Sonos, but surprised the difference is so marked. You might want to consider adding a DAC, e.g., the MF V-DAC v2 or something similar to the Sonos? Given your current disappointment, do try to get a home dem if possible.

A

Anonymous

Would the digital output be any benefit to me here?

Probably need some other kit though?

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
jonniebag said:
Would the digital output be any benefit to me here?

Probably need some other kit though?

Yes, that's what I was suggesting, I.e., connecting a DAC to the digital output of the Sonos connect.

Btw, what do you prefer about the Marantz?

A

Anonymous

The traditional route just sounds a lot warmer and fuller. I can only really describe what I'm hearing through the Sonos setup as flat.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
jonniebag said:
The traditional route just sounds a lot warmer and fuller. I can only really describe what I'm hearing through the Sonos setup as flat.

When you ripped the CDs how did you rip them ... to MP3 (if so what bit rate) or another format?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
If you connected the digital output of the Sonos and the digital output of the cd player to the same DAC, then they would probably sound identical to most people. You're not hearing the difference between 'cd' and 'hard disk' replay (all things being equal and under perfect conditions there isn't one), as was already mentioned you're hearing the difference between the DAC + analogue parts of the CD player and the DAC + analogue parts of the Sonos.

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Agree with Jonniebag - I was expecting Sonos + NAS (digital connection - lossless files in my case) to sound better, but at the same time I'm beginning to realise what a superb CD player (analogue connection) I've got! It's not flat necessarily, but just not as full. I also agree with WinterRacer: I think it could be down to my DAC (Cyrus DAC XP), which probably needs an upgrade to the + version. In short - try a decent DAC!

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
ngibbs said:
Agree with Jonniebag - I was expecting Sonos + NAS (digital connection - lossless files in my case) to sound better, but at the same time I'm beginning to realise what a superb CD player (analogue connection) I've got! It's not flat necessarily, but just not as full. I also agree with WinterRacer: I think it could be down to my DAC (Cyrus DAC XP), which probably needs an upgrade to the + version. In short - try a decent DAC!

Hi, are you saying you prefer the analogue output of the Cyrus 6SE into the DAC-XP to the Sonos digital output into into the Cyrus DAC-XP? How does the digital output output of the 6SE into the DAC-XP compare to the digital output of the Sonos?

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I've just been so blown away by the analogue sound from the recent upgrade (Cyrus 6SE to 6SE2) that I have to say I haven't tried the 6SE2 via digital output yet. I'll try it and let you know. My feeling is that my (not yet upgraded to '+') Dac XP has a great pre-amp section but a lacklusture DAC. I'm curious to hear the '+' upgrade.

A

Anonymous

I ripped them in dBpoweramp as flac, lossess level 5 (default)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts