Sonos: Will there be a controller app on Android OS?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I've sold my iPhone and with that went my Sonos controller. I'm currently using the desktop controller on my laptop but that really isn't ideal and is just a stop-gap solution. In a perfect world, I would like to have a small tablet (preferrably not the iPad) running Android. Does anyone one know if there is an app of the Sonos Controller coming up for the Android plaftform? Cheers.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
There's a third party one called Andronos which works quite well when you consider it's free and the work of one man. Sonos say they are developing a bespoke app though

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Yes, Andronos has just had a recent update (.beta52 I think) which makes the music selection pages a bit nicer to look at, other than that it does work, I tend to use it instead of the CR100 now, although mainly for playing radio, I haven't really tried selecting a whole lot of stored music to play using it.

Sonos won't confirm they're working on an Android controller app (all they've said is they're looking at Android in general), they never do but as LeeH suggests, it is coming, I'd speculate it'll arrive with the next firmware issue (v3.4?), as these things tend to coincide with Sonos.

EDIT: whilst Andronos is free you can pay for it if you wish, you don't get anything extra the two versions are identical, it's simply if you wish to support the developer in his work.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Lee H:When I had the previous beta (I've changed phones since) it picked up my NAS nicely as well as Spotify etc.

Oh yes, I'd expect that to work fine, it was more the practicalities of going through the list of artists (or whatever) as it usually tells me at the top that it's returned too many search results (or something) before I've even started.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys. I saw today an Elonex jobbie down one of the megastores for less than £90 (7" tablet running Android 1.6). I need to make sure that device can access the Android Market but it could be a cheap option for a Controller for now. There's a 10" version available for about £30-40 more.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Android 1.6 is quite out of date now, 2.3 is coming to phones soon and 3.0 will be on tablets in the near future, I wouldn't like to say whether an official Sonos app (whenever it turns up) would support 1.6.

I would definitely suggest waiting until the app is actually released before making a purchase if the controller app is very important to you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts