Sonos & WAV

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
As I've finally decided to start ripping my CDs in a better format. Using iTunes As an experiment I ripped a CD in Apple Lossless, I then tried doing one in WAV. the WAV files do not show up on the Sonos library. A quick google showed up this as a bit of a problem, but the threads I found were all quite old and I'm hoping this is no longer the case. What if you had 500 CDs in WAV, and then got Sonos. A bit of a bummer ?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
This is an issue with WAV files, they do not support tagging, and Sonos reads the tag file metadata to display on the controller. You should see the files if you go into the folder view as that will show you the raw file names.

If you want to see the tag data you'll need to rip your CDs to a format that supports tagging, such as FLAC, ALAC or AIFF, which are all lossless.

A

Anonymous

WAV can be problematic with Sonos, although it's not an issue specific to the hardware itself: many ripping and streaming products have the same problem. That's simply because for all that it theoretically represents the best-quality audio option for ripping CDs, WAV is seldom accompanied by accurate metadata tagging. So, while your Sonos can play WAV files, you'll typically find that to do so, you have to do without album art, track information and more.

If I recall correctly you can find third-party software that addresses the metadata issue for WAV rips to your computer, but whether it'd work with Sonos is another issue. Personally, I've never bothered: I use FLAC and, for my purposes, it sounds fine. As you're an iTunes user, Apple Lossless will be just as effective and, unlike WAV, won't suffer from those pesky metadata issues.

A

Anonymous

Andy is a little wide of the mark. Corrections below.

andy kerr said:
WAV can be problematic with Sonos, although it's not an issue specific to the hardware itself: many ripping and streaming products have the same problem. That's simply because for all that it theoretically represents the best-quality audio option for ripping CDs, WAV is seldom accompanied by accurate metadata tagging.

The sound quality of WAV files does not theoretically represent the best-quality audio option for ripping CDs - it is no different to any of the lossless formats, no better, no worse.

WAV files are not seldom accompanied by accurate metadata, they are never accompanied by accurate metadata as there is no allowance within a WAV file to hold the information.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts