Sonos Port

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Sean_MPR

May 6, 2021
Visit site
I’ve got sonos in most rooms and a proper AV setup. I just took the plunge to upgrade my den system with a new (s/h) amp and a Node 2i. I use an Arcam irdac and was blown away by the sound quality (local lossless or hi-fi streaming via Amazon HD).
Read these posts and just did a back to back test. Both playing the same track. Same sources (I didn’t try an ultra HD file as I know the port can’t handle that except on quobuz). Swapped the coax over each time.

Sonos Port sounds strangled in comparison. Like the node 2i unlocks an airiness and exquisite sound I’ve never heard from the sonos. I wondered if the new amp was making everything so much better but it’s not just the amp. No way. And I think anyone listening with me would tell this.

The Node 2i wins. The app isn’t great though (another reason for trying the port again) but am sure it will improve.

whatnonsense

Nov 27, 2021
Visit site
You know how when you watch a movie, but you’re using a low quality HDMI cable, and it causes actors to forget their lines?

Definitely worth spending more money on a better cable!

Seriously. Stop it with this nonsense. This box doesn’t contain tiny little musicians that rearrange your music in real time. Sigh.

Momentumep

Jan 11, 2022
Visit site
I bought an ARC with SUB to get surround for my primary TV (over fireplace in large kitchen). My existing speakers (B&W Matrix 1s) were situated perfectly to become rear surrounds. After some fiddling, I figured out how to add an AMP and set it up so the B&Ws are surrounds for watching TV/movies and, along with the ARC, are main speakers for listening to music (now with a subwoofer). My existing Connect, Pre Box S2 (preamp/DAC) and Bryston 3B all got replaced by the AMP.

The surround sound is excellent.

The music setup is a disappointment.

I haven't done any "critical listening" or A/B tests on the music setup. The sweet spot for critical listening is pretty much in the fireplace. The added bottom from the SUB is nice, but overall the music listening experience is noticeably worse. Cranking up the old system would make everyone want to sing and dance. The new system...not so much.

I think Sonos is doing a lot of DSP, which is great for movie surround and effects, but bad for a lot of music.

I have another 6 ZP/Connects - at least 4 of which need to be replaced with Ports to work with S2. I'm hesitant to upgrade them. It might be the addition of the ARC that's hurting the music playback, but I don't think I can shut it off (and still use the B&Ws as surrounds for TV/movies).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts