Sonos or Router or NAS playing up

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi All

Been having a few problems with a Sonos S5, briefly the files are on a WD MyBookLive NAS which is hardwired to a Netgear Dualband router (3300), the S5 is connected to the router as well, so no bridge required.

The S5 disappears from the network at random, usually after a period of inactivity, ie first thing in the morning - started happening just after the NAS had an auto update to the firmware though I think this is a coincidence?

I am going through this with Sonos support who are pretty good and the Sonos forum - doesnt seem to be a problem with the S5 from what the diagnostics are telling them. The general concensus is my router is duplicatingg ip address's, so I reset the system by rebooting everything in order - router - s5 - nas - everything else, which brings the S5 back to life but only for a day or so.

The router is fixed to broadcast g on channel 11, the S5 is in channel 1 - a bit stumped as to what else to try

Has anyone had a similar experience or any ideas would be greatly appreciated - this is winding me up disproportionately

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Bill

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
well if the consensus is that the router is duplicating ip addresses then try using static addresses.

For example

set router to 192.168.0.1

NAS to 192.168.0.2

and so on, making sure each device has its own address...

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Joe,

One issue is that there is a known issue with the router that means it wont reserve ip address's even though you set it to do so, (why do they not make these things just work!)

Second issue is that Im not so sure thats the problem anyway, rebooting everything in order should solve it for more than a day?

Or do you mean setting a static ip address in the NAS / S5, I can see how to do that in the NAS but not sure on the S5?

Bill

A

Anonymous

IP addresses are handed out by the router that should be the only device acting as a DHCP server.

So if it all works out the SONOS and NAS request an address and get one from the router, either a fixed one or one from the unused dynamic list of the router.

Usually the .001 is set for the router itself. In the router menu you can then assign .002 etc to other devices, this is easiest usually (at least with my 3700 router) if they are connected and listed, so that you can pick up the MAC address from the list and give it a fixed IP.

Also make sure that the 'free' addresses that are used for dynamically assigning IP to other devices (phones, pads) are outside the range, so e.g. .011 to .100 or so, reserving the first 10 for fixed addresses.

BTW, I am using the address range 10.0.0.xxx, because previously I had a conflict with one network card configured in the 192.etc range that seemed to create duplicate IP's. You might try this also. (Note that if you do you must access the router menu with 10.0.0.1 too)

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
static addresses - you set the ip address in each device manually.

For the Sonos use the following method.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sonos.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=417

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Thankd Joe, but that link just tells you to reserve ips in your router (confirms that you cant do it on Sonos kit - only DHCP or auto ip)

Think the glitchy router is the problem not the Sonos, am having a relaxing day with an email chat with Netgear support |(

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Think I have the problem sorted, dodgy cable from router to S5. Laid cable under floor before hardwood floor went down couple of years ago, have spotted some 'house guests' in the vicinity over the summer and I reckon they may have been chewing on the wire - borrowed a zonebridge to eliminate that particular wire and so far all seems well.

Fantastic technology etc, still beaten by a mouse though!

So its buy a zonebridge or rip up the floor - not a difficult question really :beer:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts