Question Sonos or Naim Mu-so Qb?

gmac

Jan 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone
I’m looking to ugrade my sound system to streaming/wireless but would like to have capability to connect a CD player as have a stack of CDs that are still used.
Options I’m considering are:
1. Pair of Sonos One speakers set up as stereo pair with a Sonos Connect to interface CD player; or
2. Naim Mu-so Qb 2nd gen.

The Sonos Ones with the Sonos Connect are similar in price to the Naim. The CD player can be connected direct into the Naim (as I understand it). Although the Naim is a single box will it provide better sound than a pair of Sonos Ones?
Any other thoughts on pros and cons of each system gratefully received!  And any alternative suggestions?

FYI room size is approx 8m x 5m.

gmac

Jan 8, 2020
Visit site
It's best to demo them and see for yourself. I had demoed the 1st generation Naim Mu-So Qb with Sonos, and I thought Sonos was better.

Just to clarify your plan; are you proposing to connect the Sonos One speakers to the Connect (or Sonos Port)?

Thanks bigboss!

Yes, proposing to connect the Sonos One speakers to the Sonos Connect and use the connect to interface the CD player (and possibly a turntable) to the speakers.

Thanks bigboss!

Yes, proposing to connect the Sonos One speakers to the Sonos Connect and use the connect to interface the CD player (and possibly a turntable) to the speakers.
I've never heard of anyone connecting Sonos One speakers to Sonos port. It doesn't make sense, and you're wasting money. You're better served by connecting Sonos port to powered or Active speakers like Audioengine A2+, or Sonos Amp to passive speakers. Or you can connect your CD player via line in to Play:5.

Reactions: scene

scene

I've never heard of anyone connecting Sonos One speakers to Sonos port. It doesn't make sense, and you're wasting money. You're better served by connecting Sonos port to powered or Active speakers like Audioengine A2+, or Sonos Amp to passive speakers. Or you can connect your CD player via line in to Play:5.
Agree with this 100%

I would add, one option is to consider ripping your CDs losslessly to a NAS (using something like iTunes is an easy way of doing that) then you can stream and play your existing library via the Sonos without having to change CDs. I've done this and it's increased my use and enjoyment of my CD collection massively

Reactions: Niallivm

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've got a Qb 1st gen in the kitchen (and a muso 1st gen in the sitting room). I love the sound from the QB- I find it quite a big sound and it can easily fill a pretty large room. It is pretty much a mono sound source though so there's a good bit to be said for a pair of Play 1s as you will get a proper stereo image. For filling the room it's fine but I wouldn't imagine it's ideal if you want to sit down opposite it and just listen to music. Horses for courses...
CD deck could be connected by optical out or by RCA. Or as suggested rip and stream. App works pretty well in my experience when used as stand alone but can be a little temperamental with both units linked together.
Other benefits of Sonos 1s is portability.

TJB123

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone
I’m looking to ugrade my sound system to streaming/wireless but would like to have capability to connect a CD player as have a stack of CDs that are still used.
Options I’m considering are:
1. Pair of Sonos One speakers set up as stereo pair with a Sonos Connect to interface CD player; or
2. Naim Mu-so Qb 2nd gen.

The Sonos Ones with the Sonos Connect are similar in price to the Naim. The CD player can be connected direct into the Naim (as I understand it). Although the Naim is a single box will it provide better sound than a pair of Sonos Ones?
Any other thoughts on pros and cons of each system gratefully received!  And any alternative suggestions?

FYI room size is approx 8m x 5m.

I’m a bit late to this one and I hope you have a satisfactory solution. Obviously sound quality is essential, but bear in mind how much impact a bad app or bad connectivity has. It’s worth checking the app reviews.

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I’m a bit late to this one and I hope you have a satisfactory solution. Obviously sound quality is essential, but bear in mind how much impact a bad app or bad connectivity has. It’s worth checking the app reviews.

Only a year and a half late! 🤣

Reading the thread I was amazed to see someone with a very similar setup and experience to me. Then I realised it was my post. Whoops!

On a slightly more serious note (and a bit late on this old thread) I love my Musos in many ways but the app has the ability to drive me mad. It's not very stable to say the least.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts