Sonos Or Midrange CDP

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I Have an Arcam CD73 used via Audiolab 8000a and Mission 752 speakers, lately I have been considering a sonos system...your thoughts would be much appreciated.

John Duncan

Do you need the multiroom capabilities of Sonos? If not, I'd be more inclined to get a Squeezebox - cheaper, similar results. Alternatively, Airport Express or apple TV with an outboard DAC. The Sonos is a neat and pretty solution if you'd like to get rid of the amp as well though.......

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Do you need the multiroom capabilities of Sonos? If not, I'd be more inclined to get a Squeezebox - cheaper, similar results. Alternatively, Airport Express or apple TV with an outboard DAC. The Sonos is a neat and pretty solution if you'd like to get rid of the amp as well though.......

Well JD here's why Sonos so far...

1. A local dealer can install for me, as I am a total Luddite at these things, when I read the posts on here regarding networking, I look to see if there is a translation into English.
(only today did i get a wireless router, needs setting up yet (bites fingernails).

2. WHF team seem to rate it

3. Great controller

4. Sounded good at the dealers, but that was a very quick listen, so I would want a longer listen first.

If the quality can be maintained, I would be prepared to do away with the amp, not sure how to do this?, dont really have a lot of room to fit external dac's, and as you say the sonos is a neat solution.
I will (hopefully) be fitting the router to my desktop, but I also have a laptop (hp6735s) to roam around with.

As always thoughts are appreciated, just be gentle with me LOL.

A

Anonymous

Sonos is great, but I think you'll need to make two purchases in order to compete with the current system because:

1) The DAC in the Sonos won't be as good as the CDP, and

2) The amp in the Sonos won't be as good as your amp.

So in addition to the Sonos unit you're going to need a standalone DAC, at least. Alternatively you could look at the new Cyrus amps with in-built DACs, or there are even speakers with the amp and DAC built-in!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
JCR1:I Have an Arcam CD73 used via Audiolab 8000a and Mission 752 speakers, lately I have been considering a sonos system...your thoughts would be much appreciated.

I think I'm going to get contact lenses as my new glasses don't let me play pool properly.

Oh, that's not what you meant? Ok ok, I'll reiterate what JD said, if you're not looking for a multi-room solution then Sonos is going to be very expensive for you, it's about 700 quid for the starter bundle, so if you're only going to use one zone it'll seem like quite a lot of money for what you're getting.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:
JCR1:I Have an Arcam CD73 used via Audiolab 8000a and Mission 752 speakers, lately I have been considering a sonos system...your thoughts would be much appreciated.

I think I'm going to get contact lenses as my new glasses don't let me play pool properly.

Oh, that's not what you meant? Ok ok, I'll reiterate what JD said, if you're not looking for a multi-room solution then Sonos is going to be very expensive for you, it's about 700 quid for the starter bundle, so if you're only going to use one zone it'll seem like quite a lot of money for what you're getting.

Get the laser eye surgery, works wonders on your snookers and potting :)

Seriously, thanks for the input, I think in veiw of what you've said (and large utility bills notwithstanding) I will hold off for a while.

I have about 200 cd's ripped in flac to a usb drive, which is about 15% of what needs doing, but it is so labourious i'm wondering weather its worth the effort when you take all the comments on board.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
JCR1:the_lhc:JCR1:I Have an Arcam CD73 used via Audiolab 8000a and Mission 752 speakers, lately I have been considering a sonos system...your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Get the laser eye surgery, works wonders on your snookers and potting :)

No, I couldn't I've seen too many people have problems and there's guarantee they'll get the correction exactly right, I'm VERY short sighted, so I wouldn't want to end up in a situation where I still need glasses. I've had contacts before, just stopped wearing them for a while.

Seriously, thanks for the input, I think in veiw of what you've said (and large utility bills notwithstanding) I will hold off for a while.

I have about 200 cd's ripped in flac to a usb drive, which is about 15% of what needs doing, but it is so labourious i'm wondering weather its worth the effort when you take all the comments on board.

Well there are other, single room, options, Squeezebox would be much cheaper for what you're doing.

Having said that I've got Sonos myself and I love it, if you can find a use for the second zone (the amp'ed one, add speakers, stick in the bedroom or kitchen or something) I'd recommend it, but if you think the second zoneplayer will just sit in the box not being used then I'd have to say it probably isn't worth it.

as for CD ripping, I use flac as well, I just piled all the CDs next to the computer and used to rip them in stages while I was doing other stuff on the PC, you get through them eventually, now when I buy a CD I just do the same next time I log on to check my mail etc. Same with my vinyl, although that needs a bit more attention paid to it.

A

Anonymous

Being In A Bungalow, it would only be required for one room, so I agree the sonos would be an expensive solution, I did look at squeezebox, albeit briefly, I do also enjoy my system as is, and I just wondering if I am creating work for myself when I don't really listen to that much music, plus I don't want to start complicating things with dac's better amps etc. Why cant we have a flac player that plugs into your hi-fi system with good capacity and a sensible price...sigh

Oh Well, Happy Listening

A

Anonymous

According to the manual it has digital out coaxial and opitcal, whatever that means :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
JCR1:According to the manual it has digital out coaxial and opitcal, whatever that means :)

Yeah that's what you'd use to connect the CD player to an external DAC but some higher end CD players will also take a digital signal in and convert it to analogue for an amp, but not yours I guess.

A

Anonymous

JCR,

Just plug a laptop into the HiFi if you have one. Then you do not need to mess around with streaming, etc.

For improving the sound quality try an M AUDIO TRANSIT. It's a £50 USB device that sounds great.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Eddie that was an option I was looking at, maybe when the vista driver issues are solved.

A

Anonymous

Apparently when checking around the net, under vista the usb card drivers appear to have been blue screening a lot of people.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts