Sonos has transformed my house!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, we were playing music wirelessly. As she was using the client on the same PC, I thought that wouldn't be an issue. Having said that, it is only until I get some storage plugged into the router (either using USB, or long term a NAS).

The Sonos is using 6, I think the router is using something different (maybe 13). I'll also dig out the app for testing wireless signal strength.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Rgds

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Amadeus1756 said:
Yes, we were playing music wirelessly. As she was using the client on the same PC, I thought that wouldn't be an issue.

It's not a client as such, it's just controller software, so the amount of data being sent to the ZPs is far less than streaming music requires. Easy way to find out, run a temporary ethernet cable from the PC to the router, turn off the laptop's wireless and see if the issue still persists. Is it a particularly old laptop?

Having said that, it is only until I get some storage plugged into the router (either using USB, or long term a NAS).

Whether the USB works depends on the capability of the router, some people have no issues with it, others find their router doesn't have the grunt to pass the data from the drive fast enough to keep Sonos happy, if you already have a USB drive it'll be easy enough to test that of course.

The Sonos is using 6, I think the router is using something different (maybe 13). I'll also dig out the app for testing wireless signal strength.

You can log onto the router to check the wireless channels hopefully? Worth checking what your neighbours are using as well, there's plenty of apps for checking that sort of thing, I've got one on my phone.

Oh I forgot to ask, how do you find the Play:3/SUB combination?

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the great info.

I will have a play with Inssider sometime over the weekend to see if there is much contention with the wireless.

The router (WNDR3700) seems to be ok with a SATA drive in a caddy so I'm going to start ripping to that - once I've got a NAS (stuck on QNap (better in terms of features and grunt, questionable support) or Synology (much more polished, less sturdy build quality, organised support) right now!) I can just transfer it over.

On to the sub...

I went in to Sevenoaks HiFi and had a little listen. I originally put Beethoven's 7th on but frankly the sub was not noticable in the opening movement (I only started with that because I'd been listening to it earlier in the day but as soon as it started I thought that it wasn't a good option). I then asked to hear Adele (a modern pop phenomonon, very popular with my wife) and that was very good indeed. Listening for about 30 seconds then turning the sub off was a huge contrast. My wife who never seems interested in such things remarked on the contrast and said "well that's a no brainer".

So in summary, for certain types of music it's very good indeed, other types probably less so.

Are you considering getting one? I would recommend one.

Rgds

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I've just discovered an issue (that I've reported to Sonos) when it comes to the music library.

I ripped a load of my DVDs, each to their own folder.

I imported the music into the Sonos app (from my iPad).

When I go to the library and view by Album, I get to see Greatest Hits by Queen.

If I select this album so that I see the tracks, I also see tracks from The Jam - I also ripped their Greatest Hits album.

The music is stored in separate folders, it looks just like an indexing issue to me

Rgds

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I've ripped a lot of my CDs now (and discovered that I have a lot of junk!).

I have a bridge, 2xPlay:3, 1xSubwoofer; the bridge is in the study (along with the router and an attached hard disk - adequate until I buy a NAS), the remaining equipment is in the living room. I love it, my wite loves it and so do her friends - they pick up the ipad or my phone, addsongs to the queue etc, all without any explanation - exactly what we were looking for.

I saw that my local JL had the Play:5 for £299 and I needed to buy 2 of them. I didn't buy them there and then and when I went back in there a couple of days later, they'd gone up to their normal retail price. Bummer.

I wonder if Sonos are going to do any deals over Crimbo on the Play:5. I see the Play:3 is now sold with a bridge and Spotify account but neither are of any use to me as I already have them. If I see the Play:5 at a bargain price again, I'll buy them there and then!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts