Question Sonos Amp or Denon PMA-150H

gzeel81

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
I am dubbing between the Sonos Amp or the Denon PMA-150H as an amplifier. I have a set of B&W 606's, and listen to most music via a Thorens TD160 turntable with Rega preamp, CD Player or via streaming.

The Denon costs 1099 euros here. Just as much for a Sonos setup (Amp + Port for CD player).

Is there a clear added value in audio quality at the Denon? I think the Sonos has great ease of use as main selling point.

gzeel81

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
I'm not sure why you would want to buy Sonos amp + Sonos port as your CD player can connect to Sonos amp directly.....unless I have misunderstood what you're saying.

Well, I have already connected my turntable (via pre-amp) to the Amp, so there is no more room for the CD player. That is why I connected it into the system with a Port.
The CD player could be connected to the PMA-150H coaxial.

You won't have to much power in 8 ohm with 2x35 watt and 88db

I do not have much knowledge of that speaker power and speaker impendance, would that be very noticeable? These are my first steps in seperate amplifier/speaker coming from a complete Sonos installation, so forgive me my basic questions.

I actually got into doubt because I bought the CD player. It is the Denon DCD-100. This is now in a different place than the Sonos Amp (the Port made it possible), but when I discovered that Denon had the PMA-150H (which is exactly the same in size and look as the DCD-100) I was in doubt . "Would this great looking Denon amplifier sound even better than the Sonos Amp?"

Last edited:

rainsoothe

Hi - imo you can do much better on that budget, and the 606 need better. For an all-in-one, loook at the Marantz PM7000N.

But, if you don't mind sh, I'd get something like Arcam fmj A39 (or A29 or even the A19) + Yamaha wxad10 or Google Chromecast Audio for streaming.

There's also a first gen Naim Nait XS on the bay right now, for around 1k euro, and for an amp, I would get this in a Heartbeat if it were my money. (Only comes with a UK power chord if you live in UK, but free shipping in UK and the EU, which is awesome).

gzeel81

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
Hi - imo you can do much better on that budget, and the 606 need better. For an all-in-one, loook at the Marantz PM7000N.

But, if you don't mind sh, I'd get something like Arcam fmj A39 (or A29 or even the A19) + Yamaha wxad10 or Google Chromecast Audio for streaming.

There's also a first gen Naim Nait XS on the bay right now, for around 1k euro, and for an amp, I would get this in a Heartbeat if it were my money. (Only comes with a UK power chord if you live in UK, but free shipping in UK and the EU, which is awesome).

Too bad the PM7000N wouldn't fit in my audio closet. The PMA-150H should fit, I've got 11cm and the 150H is 10.4cm.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts