Sonos 5 or Cambridge Audio -Minx Air 200

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Air 200. Keep in mind that you're comparing 2 completely different systems. Also look at the B&W A5/A7/Zeppelin Air

nobby44

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I know that the Sonos is all about a multi unit connected system which I don't need but apart from that why are they copmpletely different? I'm in a quandry, I'm contemplating the old fashioned way NAD 3020 and Monitor Audio Bronze BX2s but I don't know if I can be bothered plus there is the option of moving a wireless unit from room to room. Thanks

nobby44

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I know that the Sonos is all about a multi unit connected system which I don't need but apart from that why are they copmpletely different? I'm in a quandry, I'm contemplating the old fashioned way NAD 3020 and Monitor Audio Bronze BX2s but I don't know if I can be bothered plus there is the option of moving a wireless unit from room to room. Thanks

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
That's what I meant: the Sonos is meant to be used in a multi-room environment, where you can stream different sources to different rooms. You can also play music from your NAS, stream internet radio and use music services withouth your smarthpone or tablet or PC having to be connected all the time.

The other units are just speakers with Airplay. If you are only looking for music in 1 room and are not planning on expanding later, you're probably better of with an Air 200 or similar since they will provide better sound quality for the same price.

That being said, a single unit will never give a real stereo image. With Sonos you can fix this by pairing 2 Play5's as a stereo pair, with the Airplay speakers this is not possible.

"The old fashioned way" will be better in terms of sound quality, but you can't move it from room to room like you say.

nobby44

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again. If I go down the wireless route which device would you recommend apart from the Sonos that I can play all sorts of stuff from my PC such as Spotify, Radio and itunes. I think Airtime is only for itunues, correct?

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
nobby44 said:
Thanks again. If I go down the wireless route which device would you recommend apart from the Sonos that I can play all sorts of stuff from my PC such as Spotify, Radio and itunes. I think Airtime is only for itunues, correct?

If you use a MAC or IOS (Apple) device, you can stream all audio over Airplay. If you use a "normal" pc, you're limited to itunes.

I think you first need to decide wether you want an all-in-one system like Sonos, or if you're going to use separates.

If you want an all-in-one system that can easily play radio, Spotify and files on your computer, then Sonos is the way to go. Bose has a similar system (Soundtouch) with the typcial Bose sound. There isn't any other competition at the moment, all the other players are just Airplay speakers.

If you go the separate routes, there are countless possiblities: most receivers today play (internet) radio, Spotify and your MP3s. Most also have Airplay. You can use a Sonos Connect if you want to go the Sonos route, or a streamer from another brand.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
For ease I'd try something with a direct wireless connection. Saves all the faff that comes with routers and setup apps.

Eg, Audio Pro Air Room or Monitor Audio S300.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Sonos is one of the easiest to set up out there, with absolutely no faff involved. All you do is press a button on the Play:5 and a button on the Bridge. That's it.

And at some point in the future they will support a direct wireless connection to the router, although there appears to be some caveats involved (every device needs to be in wireless range of the router, otherwise you still need a wired device, I don't think I'll be changing over any time soon).

nobby44

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I've just read in an article that the minx "Even if you’re not planning on using AirPlay, you’ll still need to get the Minx on to your network to enjoy the internet radio access." Does this mean that i can play itunes files from my PC as well as radio from my PC. The reason this is important is because my PC has decent speakers so can i link the minx to the internet sygnal that the PC can send via the wifi network to the minx and will it be synced with the PC speakers?

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
nobby44 said:
Thanks everyone. I've just read in an article that the minx "Even if you’re not planning on using AirPlay, you’ll still need to get the Minx on to your network to enjoy the internet radio access." Does this mean that i can play itunes files from my PC as well as radio from my PC. The reason this is important is because my PC has decent speakers so can i link the minx to the internet sygnal that the PC can send via the wifi network to the minx and will it be synced with the PC speakers?

No, this means the Minx can play internet radio on its own, withouth the need of a PC or smartphone. If you want to send all the sound from your pc to the minx, you will need to use the bluetooth connection. I don't think there is a way to send the sound through bluetooth AND trough your PC's soundcard though. It will be one or the other.

cipher

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Something else to keep in mind is that the Minx has both a hard remote and an app, whereas the Sonos has only the app. I feel the hard remote is useful for those times you don't want to fiddle with an app - especially as the Minx's remote has five or ten programmable presets.

Every time I say this on Cnet, I get slammed (e.g., "LOL! Why don't you buy a Walkman while you're at it?"), but it's very important to me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts