Songs/Films or just bits of, that only make your spine tingle on a good setup.

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I guess we all have these. Most of the ones for me are ones that I can't listen to in the car, because the quality loss is just so damned much. Here are a few off the top of my head.

Foolish Games by Jewel is one (though almost all her stuff sounds great on a well sorted system).

Anybody remember Water on Glass by Kim Wilde? The intro (the tinkling sound) actually sounds great on a good system, but just sounds odd on a naff system.

Johnny Cash's American Recordings are great for this. Nothing sounds quite as good as his version of the old Gordon Lightfoot song, If You Could Read My Mind. The sound of that distinctive voice breaking and cracking through illness is very potent.

Anybody else...???

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Spine tingle sound

- Any songs written or sing by David Gates

- On the turning away and Wish you were here (Floyd)

- Down To Zero (Joan Armatrading)

in fact most of music do the "spine tingle" thing on my system.

A

Anonymous

When I heard Peter Gabriel's 'solsbury hill' at soundcraft hifi ashford.

DSOTM, wish you were here - pink floyd

A

Anonymous

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms or Money for Nothing
Katie Meula - Blue Shoes
Enya - Orinoco Flow
Norah Jones - Come away with me
Sting - Desert Rose
Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries - with or without Apocalypse Now

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Damien Buckley"]Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms[/quote]

That song on Linn LP12 deck that got me hook in good HiFi many moon ago!

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Just popped on the Live Aid box set.

Queen in full 5.1 is pretty strong. Freddy Mercury playing with the crowd - quality.

A

Anonymous

Carmina Burana act 1 if u dont have a good sistem its like listening to a wisper through a door but with a good sistem an decent amounts of power its a whole new experience

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Please do, but in the meantime can I just revel in a Proustian moment triggered by that 12inch sleeve pictured above.

All those years vanished and forgotten. Until now. It's German lager night round at mine right now, so please forgive my obtuse exuberance.

More sleeves please, Sir.

A

Anonymous

"We do what we're told(MIlgrams' 37)" by Peter Gabriel on the So album.Pure goosebumps.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"]Please do, but in the meantime can I just revel in a Proustian moment triggered by that 12inch sleeve pictured above.

All those years vanished and forgotten. Until now. It's German lager night round at mine right now, so please forgive my obtuse exuberance.

More sleeves please, Sir.[/quote]

Sigh - tempus fugitting like crazy, innit?

Anyway, there's me and Malcolm Steward, formerly reviewer of this parish (and others), and now best known as founder/editor of trade magazine The BAJ, on a press trip to Pioneer Japan.

We're shown into the listening room, which is about big enough to hold small chamber orchestra concerts, complete with sloped ceiling, adjustable diffusers, the lot. On the 'stage' is a pair of these huge hornloaded Pioneer speakers about 6ft tall, standing about 20ft apart, driven by some monstrous Japan-only monoblocs and fed from one of those battleship Stable Platter Pioneer CD players.

In the seats behind us are about 20-30 earnest-looking engineers, notebooks and propelling pencils poised to take down our every utterance.

We start with some solo piano music, and MS and I smile wryly at the 20ft wide keyboard the system conjures up, and then we move on to some jazz from Holly Cole and her Trio, at that time a prerequisite of any hi-fi demonstration.

The music stops, and we make the usual 'very impressive' comments which satisfy politeness after any endless factory tour or demonstration.

Then our hosts ask 'Is there anything else you'd like to hear?'

I look at Malcolm, Malcolm looks at me, and I dive into my bag and surface with America: What Time Is Love?

It's reverentially accepted, the disc placed on the Stable Platter, and the drawer glides shut.

'At what level?' asks our host, to which the estimable Steward replies:

'What's the Japanese for "Crank the sucker"?'

Some severe crankage occurs, and as the opening notes and sound effects fill the room, and the narration begins, we feel 20 or 30 people crane forward in anticipation behind us.

Then the music explodes into life: all eight and a half minutes of total mayhem are unleashed at levels that have Steward and me - not exactly unaccustomed to a bit of volume - grinning from ear to ear.

Finally it's over. The dust settles, a metaphorical clock ticks.

We turn around and - all the seats behind us are deserted. We, and The KLF, have scared off the entire audio engineering staff of Pioneer.

As a postscript, we later learned that the Japanese engineers had bought themselves a copy of the disc, as they tend to when you produce something they don't know at such a session. Might explain why they're so good at making TVs these days...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Pukka nice one

I forgot about formatting until I saw other people using icons and you are keep posting funny pictures! I want to join in [crying icon here]

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
I'm guessing from the listings you have made you will just love this : El Paso by Marty Robbins , the strings are awesome all the way through.. (don't tell just everyone unless they have a real good system to do it justice).

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
Tomita :The Sea Named " Solaris " :Kosmos Which is

Based on Three-Part Invention No. 2 in C Minor, BWV 788
Ich Ruf'zu Dir, Herr Jesu Christ, BWV 639

and is based on the music from the Russian Sci Fi Classic Solaris (Much better then that American crappy remake IMO) which left haunted for several days. Listening to the Tomita version just took me right back!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Film wise in the last few years both Sin City and 300 just blew me away when I saw them on the big screen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts