Son and Dad upset: New projector needed - Infocus IN80 or X10

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
My 4 year old son and I are in mourning as the bulb on my Benq PE7700 projector has blown.

Like Claire, we have become devotees of the big screen.

To cheer us up I am considering buying a full HD projector rather than spend £250 on a new bulb.

My question: What is the difference between the 5 star IN80 and the cheaper X10 as the specs seem the same.

Urgent outcome needed to console us both as we have no TV!!

Thanks

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi Clare (sorry I misspelt your name before)

Thanks for the sympathy. He was genuinely in tears as we couldn't have our pre-bedtime film time.

I suppose the other (more sensible?) consideration is whether I replace the Benq HD ready bulb at £250 or upgrade to the the Full HD of the InFocus models at about £1300.

Will I see a marked difference - I use Sky HD, Blu Ray and DVD's only.

Thanks,
Patrick

A

Anonymous

I was thinking about this too. My h56 is about 4 years old so when the time comes (probably in a couple of years) i'm assuming that the cheaper projectors will all be full hd and as good as what i have now. Am i guessing right?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
fast eddie:I was thinking about this too. My h56 is about 4 years old so when the time comes (probably in a couple of years) i'm assuming that the cheaper projectors will all be full hd and as good as what i have now. Am i guessing right?

Possibly - depends on how fast the price of the components come down, and with the market like it is, there are no guarantees on that! With the problems you're having with your H56, i'd put an upgrade on the agenda earlier....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Oh, and if either of you live in Kent, the original Sevenoaks store is doing some deals, it seems. This from the Sevenoaks Sound and Vision website:

Projectors
Web Special Offer
50% OFF Original Price
Surplus and end-of-line stock reduced. Available from the Sevenoaks (Kent) store only. Various makes and models.

There's a name and number to call on the website for more details....

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I have a 9-10ft diagonal screen. Mr room is about 22ft x 22ft so I can fit the X10/IN80 in although it will be a different position on the ceiling to my Benq. We sit at the back of the room, so about 20ft away.

(I know you're going to tell me off, but I project onto an off white wall which seems to work well and looks great when no film is on!)
emotion-7.gif

Thanks
Patrick

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I am going to tell you off
emotion-12.gif
You'll never enjoy the full potential of any projector without a proper screen. Even a basic pull-up-then-pack-away model will be better than a wall.

That issue aside, you've a big enough room - and enough HD sources - to warrant a move to a Full HD projector. The only drawback will be some SD content looking noticeably worse. Wave goodbye to ITV football looking very watchable, for instance (well, at least until Sky/ITV stop squabbling and ITV HD becomes available on Sky).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
Yes, I am going to tell you off
emotion-12.gif
You'll never enjoy the full potential of any projector without a proper screen. Even a basic pull-up-then-pack-away model will be better than a wall.

Can't you get that projector screen paint that you could use as an improvement?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Still doesn't address the issue of a wall being an uneven surface: even the best plasterer/wallpaper hanger/painter won't create a totally flat surface for a projector to viewed on without distortion...

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi again Clare

Thanks for the advice. Good news - Benq have actually agreed to take it back under a 3yr warranty (I only thought I had a 2 year one), so obviously I will go for this "free" option.

I just hope they are quicker than last time as they messed me around for 4 months previously.

Patrick

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I had a feeling you were going to suggest that. I am sure it increases the contrast but I would rather save for a Full HD projector
emotion-15.gif

Thanks again - I will let you know the outcome.

TRENDING THREADS