Some thoughts on vinyl

iMark

Yesterday I picked up some records at a place that mainly sells antiques from home clearances but also had a couple of crates of vinyl. Prices were EUR 3 per record or EUR 12 for 5. I found some rare Dutch comedy, long out of print, which I haven't listened to yet. The best of the lot was a box of 4 LPs (which he charged as one item!) with Mozart Symphonies by the Academy of Ancient Music, conducted by Christopher Hogwood. I remembered that these records got very good reviews in the early 1980s. This box (volume 7) however is not the regular Decca-L'Oiseau Lyre pressing but a German DMM pressing.

I played a few of the records yesterday and the Mrs and me came to the following conclusions:

- Great sounding pressings and very well recorded.

- Digital recording for vinyl doesn't have to be at high resolutions to sound great on vinyl

- It's a myth that digital recordings can't sound great on vinyl.

- 180g vinyl is a complete waste of 60g of vinyl per record. (The records in this box weigh 120g.)

- Vinyl in box sets keeps really well!

- DMM pressings have really low background noise and we can fully understand why they used this technology for classical records.

If you stumble upon a box set of vinyl of classical music, just give it a try. You might be pleasently surprised, especially if the box set isn't very expensive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts