Some brands ignored ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
BenLaw said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
but I have my conspiracy theory, and not only covers the What Hi-fi magazine, but the main audio and video magazines, and is not related specifically to the fact or not to advertise in their pages ...

Although this fact may have influence, but I can give you an example that does not fall in advertising ...

My theory is related for example by ranges:In the magazine What Hi-Fi, for example the range of monitor audio silver is very present.

Already in Hi-Fi Choice did not see a single mention of the range silver, but gold range as the award "Hi-fi choice" which is the same as the five stars of "What Hi-Fi", and the gold range (GX200) was gold only 4 stars.

In "Home Cinema Choice", the set GX for home cinema, had 5 stars ...

I think every magazine advocates a range of a specific brand...
and each magazine has its favorite brands ...

I have said!
Now here comes "EDIT" ...

This isn't a theory, it's a poorly expressed observation that different publications like different products. Big deal.

Conspiracy theory should, be beetwin "." ...

Am not a writer, I have no knowledge to write on the subject, and also my native language is not English. As You all should have realized ...

But it is possible for me to have an opinion on the matter? or not?

I have written in this forum and said several times in other forums, I like the "what hi fi" magazine, like the work they provid, buy the magazine every month, I think the magazine staf can and should draw many examples from what is mentioned here (in the forum).

Most of the equipment bought over the years was due to opinions and reviews from WHF mag.

And to finish WHF mag is the only magazine that has a forum that allows to express opinions, point of views and "conspiracy theories" (without being so). :doh:

It was uncalled for to say it was poorly expressed, but whether through the manner or the content of what you've said, I don't understand what your theory is, conspiracy or otherwise. Are you saying all magazines are in the pocket of Monitor Audio? Or simply observing that some magazines like Silver series while others like gold? It reads as though you're saying the latter - I don't see any conspiracy / anything underhand in that.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
power said:
Check brands like Yamaha. Almost the entire RXA range has been reviewed whereas other brands are hardly featured so I doubt it hAs anything to do with practicality

Yamaha clearly have an efficient PR team that make sure new models are sent in for review in a timely manner.

Take KEF as an example, generally well reviewed in WHF, Product of the Year with the Q300 (I think) but still, to my knowledge, have yet to send anything from the R-series range. Not down to WHF, entirely due to KEF not bothering, either deliberately or otherwise, not much WHF can do about it.

FYI, review of the KEF R100 (finally!) in the August issue of the mag, on sale this Friday (29th)

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
power said:
Does this have anything to do with the expenditure of these brands on advertising on WHF?

No, nothing whatsoever. If the company concerned can't/won't supply a product for review, then it's less likely to be reviewed. Simple as that.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
BenLaw said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
but I have my conspiracy theory, and not only covers the What Hi-fi magazine, but the main audio and video magazines, and is not related specifically to the fact or not to advertise in their pages ...

Although this fact may have influence, but I can give you an example that does not fall in advertising ...

My theory is related for example by ranges:In the magazine What Hi-Fi, for example the range of monitor audio silver is very present.

Already in Hi-Fi Choice did not see a single mention of the range silver, but gold range as the award "Hi-fi choice" which is the same as the five stars of "What Hi-Fi", and the gold range (GX200) was gold only 4 stars.

In "Home Cinema Choice", the set GX for home cinema, had 5 stars ...

I think every magazine advocates a range of a specific brand...
and each magazine has its favorite brands ...

I have said!
Now here comes "EDIT" ...

This isn't a theory, it's a poorly expressed observation that different publications like different products. Big deal.

Conspiracy theory should, be beetwin "." ...

Am not a writer, I have no knowledge to write on the subject, and also my native language is not English. As You all should have realized ...

But it is possible for me to have an opinion on the matter? or not?

I have written in this forum and said several times in other forums, I like the "what hi fi" magazine, like the work they provid, buy the magazine every month, I think the magazine staf can and should draw many examples from what is mentioned here (in the forum).

Most of the equipment bought over the years was due to opinions and reviews from WHF mag.

And to finish WHF mag is the only magazine that has a forum that allows to express opinions, point of views and "conspiracy theories" (without being so). :doh:

It was uncalled for to say it was poorly expressed, but whether through the manner or the content of what you've said, I don't understand what your theory is, conspiracy or otherwise. Are you saying all magazines are in the pocket of Monitor Audio? Or simply observing that some magazines like Silver series while others like gold? It reads as though you're saying the latter - I don't see any conspiracy / anything underhand in that.

No, not that at all.

What i wanted to say is that they don't walk in each other's backyards!

They don't review the same items, or the same ranges of the same brand.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
It is possible to find reviews of those brands that you mention, but not necessarily in the UK. I find some of the US on-line magazines and review sites to contain lots of diverse information - whether you are considering a purchase or not. The US sites seem to have very wide (and sometimes rarified / obtuse) views on what's new and interesting in the hifi world.

If you did find a good review of a product on t'internet, your next blocking issue might be to find anywhere nearby that actually stocks the product for you to audition and/or buy.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
No, not that at all.

What i wanted to say is that they don't walk in each other's backyards!

They don't review the same items, or the same ranges of the same brand.

I still don't get it. WHF has reviewed speakers from bronze, silver, gold and platinum ranges. This includes the GX50 (5 stars) and GX200 (4 stars). So they are reviewing speakers that the other mags do. Of course, when they review lots from the same company, other people accuse them of favouring those companies, so they can't win.

matthewpiano

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Paul Hobbs said:
The magazines job is to sell reviews. People want to read about kit that's available to them. More people have access to MA for instance than Epos, more people are aware of MA than Epos, so logically writing about MA is more likely to sell magazines. No conspiracy, just common sence.

I fully agree with that !!! :cheer:

let us see if that is going to be for long... i've nothing against monitor audio, as they are one of my favorite speaker brands!
but as you know Epos changed hands...
and I don't have no particular likes for Epos as well, i've just used their exemples as they have received the "speaker of the year award" under 1000£... by hi fi choice.

Erm... Epos hasn't changed hands since Michael Creek bought the company in 1999. Effectively Epos has been Creek Audio's speaker brand since then.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts