Some advice on speakers please

Mr beck

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi there everyone,

I have the marantz pm 8005 amplifer and the na 8005 streamer as the source to my set up, i recently returned my new purchased tannoy dc6t se because I could'nt listen to the so bright sound they gave out. so im basically in the market for new speakers, I wonder if anyone could recommend some speakers that go nicely with my set up and i'll try to get a demo. my budget is 1000 pound.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, ill look forward to hopefully getting some feedback on my issue.

Best wishes

David

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Mr beck said:
Hi there everyone,

I have the marantz pm 8005 amplifer and the na 8005 streamer as the source to my set up, i recently returned my new purchased tannoy dc6t se because I could'nt listen to the so bright sound they gave out. so im basically in the market for new speakers, I wonder if anyone could recommend some speakers that go nicely with my set up and i'll try to get a demo. my budget is 1000 pound.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, ill look forward to hopefully getting some feedback on my issue.

Best wishes

David

I think Kefs go well with Marantz, try R300s. Also I heard the Tannoy Precision 6.1s with the Marantz Pearl Lite certainly was not bright, if anything a bit laid back for me. If not ask the dealer for suggestions.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Mr beck said:
Hi there everyone,

Best wishes

David

I think Kefs go well with Marantz, try R300s. Also I heard the Tannoy Precision 6.1s with the Marantz Pearl Lite certainly was not bright, if anything a bit laid back for me. If not ask the dealer for suggestions.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
As well as the Kefs (which are a good shout), I would throw in some Spendor A3 (ex-dem).

FWIW. I have found that the Tannoys have a very clean treble which can easily be provoked into brightness.

Mr beck

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your help everyone, ive aranged to go for a demo at my local shop this coming saturday, maybe its just my room space or even my hearing, whatever it is im taking my amp and trying some of the said speakers

thank you kindly for all your help

david

D

Deleted member 108165

It all depends on your listening room I guess. I have the Marantz Pearl Lites in a room measuring approx 4x3m and moved from MA floorstanders to small PMC DB1 speakers and couldn't be happier with the sound this set-up produces; and they never sound overly bright. Maybe a little light in the visceral bass dept but the bass delivery is very tight and punchy. I never listen loud, maybe max 80dB peak. These little speakers never cease to amaze me *smile*

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I would add to the praise of KEF speakers...

Haven't heard the R series, but my Q floorstanders retail right on your budget, and I am extremely pleased with them... Can't comment on integration with your other kit to be fair, but that's what a pleasant morning of auditioning is for, right?

Mr beck

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
hello guys and girls,

First of all thank you for all your help and advice, which has led to my resolve. So an update to my situation, ive been leaving my speakers playing music for 20 hours or so more and ive played around with placement of the speakers and tone/bass adgustment and i have the most amazing sound coming from these speakers, ive been told that i can fine tune a little more with speaker wires and interconnects! so could anyone please give me some advice on speaker wire and interconects that will give me a little more warmth. any hello will be greatly appreciated..

best wishes

david

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Asking about I/Cs is akin to stepping on a nest of Vipers

FWIW. Here is my advice:

- Use all copper cables.
- I like Linn Black I/Cs and K20 S/C, which can be bought reasonably cheaply on EBay
- QED 79 strand and Van Damme are good cheap options
- More expensive solutions come from Atlas and possibly Cardas.

Don't spend more on cables than would bring greater improvements elsewhere in the system....and if the cables are expensive, make sure you are able to return, if necessary.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
End up keeping the tannoys?

I think they are great speakers
agree on the solid copper speaker cables. Room acoustics will play a far more larger role in the sound than you think (or i thought but now realized)

Mr beck

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
hey cnoevil

Thank you for the I/Cs advise and cables too, I'll look online tonight at the ones you said about.

Best wishes

David

Mr beck

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Hey Andrew,

Thank you too for your help in my troubles, and yes im starting to think about keeping the speakers, ill run them in more this week and see by friday. I may just go to the shop with all my kit to see how it sounds with other speakers. So i guess you have the dc6t se like me? what amp do you have and how long did you run them in for?

Best wishes

David

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
And ran them with a roksan kandy. To me they sounded great. But now i have kef r700 and my amp is hegelh160.
Please believe me when i say how good they sound (the tannoys) the kefs are much more expensive but the tannoys were not shown up at all. If i never upgraded to kef r series i would have got myself the tannoy precision 6.2s.

I would avoid bright sounding amps with the tannoys though

Mr beck

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
So today i returned to the shop I purchaced my tannoys from, and as I thought, my dc6t se are not a good match for my marantz pm 8005 even in a smaller room with more furnishing. so I demoed the XT6F/XT8f tannoys and the XT8F got my attention the most, purely because of more warmth in bass and toned down midrange. I was actully blown away by these speakers, the sound coming from my marantz was how I wanted it to sound. cant wait to get these speakers home..

Mr beck

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi there everyone,

I thought I may aswell update you on my situation, so today I went and picked up my Tannoy XTF8's and wired them in. I have to say sitting here now, listening to dire straits brother in arms and everything is sounding just how I'd like it to. The bass is warm and I can feel it through my body. Mid range and vocals are perfect to my ears and this is straight out of the box speakers. tomorow I hope to recieve my van damme speaker cable and linn black ICs. I cant imagine it sounding any better than this but im so looking forward to seeing tomorrow.

Once again thank you very much for all your help.

I also wanted to say a very big thank you to harry and devon at richer sounds in leicester tehy are a true help.

david

Glad you got the result you were after. I was very close to returning my Tannoy Prevision 6.2 Limited Editions, bad cable choice and some modification of room acoustics transformed them. Currently working my way through cable choices, as other have said stay away from silver cables, the atlas hyper interconnect and speaker cable seems to be a good match for my system.

TRENDING THREADS